1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

how to win?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by sbrown64, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Tor Inge

Tor Inge Chieftain

Ok! I have had a quick look at your game. And I think I have some serious recommendations for you :)

Improve more land! Build a lot more builders and use them. The land around Uruk is almost untouched. Remember, after you research Bronze Working, you may remove the jungle, and build a farm there for example. You need to do that in two different actions. (Buldozer icon). Additional bonus: Removing jungle (and forest) adds a one time boost of food and production to the city who owns the tile. So it speeds up the production and shortens the turns before city growth.

I think this is probably the major reason why winning is difficult in your games. Do not be afraid to remove forests and jungle. You need that space for farms and districts. You may later use some forests with a lumber mill, but you also need food for your people.

Other big tips from this savegame:

Buy buildings and units for cash. You have almost 6500 gold. You can buy a hell lot of builders for that. Depends on how you play, gold may or may not be a resource. But you should not leave it untouched as long as you have surplus cash.

Use the unique building. You are playing as the Sumerians. They have the unique Ziggurat. You should build that all over the place in the start. Especially around rivers. (But remember to build some mines for production). Later on you want to replace them with more powerful buildings like dams and such. But they are a key building for early tech boost. For example: Around Uuruk, you can use the builder to remove the jungle along the river and build Ziggurats there.

Do not forget to build the monument in new cities. This is of course situational, but in general the monument is one of the first buildings you should build. The monument speeds up the rate which the city expands, so you do not always need to purchase tiles for coins. It also speeds up your civic research.

Some minor improvement:

Change the government. You may want to spend some coins to change to Merchant Republic to get more trade routes and more peaceful policy cards. For example those that give you more science from trade routes.

You have a religion. Might be an idea to use it. Build a holy site in one of your cities with the religion and build a shrine and temple in it. Then buy an apostle with faith. Use it to evangelize faith. Then you can for example pick up "Wat" which enables you to build a Wat in cities with your religion which gives you +2 Science.

I think this is enough for you to work with in this game and in a new game. Start with exploring builders and what you can build with them.

2. WLanky13

WLanky13 Chieftain

I also just took a look at your game and everything that Tor Inge said is useful, especially the improve more land part. Building improvements on your tiles allows your cities to grow larger and be more productive. Another thing I noticed is that you are playing on a map that looks like earth. I would not recommend this map for learning because the map is a model of the real earth so the variety of terrain and resources will reflect where you are geographically on the map. I would recommend playing a game on the map Pangea. This is my favorite map because all the major civilizations are on the same landmass so you will have another civilization closer to you. Having another civilization relatively close is also a better way to learn because you have to compete for good city locations and other resources. Also, having another civilization close will allow you to declare war on them and destroy them easier. :) Pangea will also have more resource variety which would help you cities become more happy allowing them to be more productive. In 5 of your cities right now you have an amenity problem which basically means your cities are not as productive as they could be. Amenity is basically happiness in CIV IV. Here is a basic guide for amenity: https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/amenity-guide.25463/ Improving more luxury resources would allow your cities to be more happy and productive. The biggest thing though is that your cities are not very productive. Building builders and then improving the land would raise your productivity allowing you to build other things like districts and military units faster.

I think this is a pretty good start and try to use builders more. Also, don't be afraid to go to war. Especially on settler, you could build up a small army and go take his capital and win the game. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Good luck and have fun!:thumbsup:

3. sbrown64

sbrown64 Chieftain

Thank you both for your help.
    does any one have a saved game they would share with me to allow me to have a good look at how you do things (on easy level)?

4. Tor Inge

Tor Inge Chieftain

I am at work right now. But in the mean time I recommend searching on youtube. I searched for a district guide, and found that and a lot more. There are a lot of beginners guides out there and a lot of more advanced gameplay when you need more details. And a lot of "let's play"s. I am currently watching a small channel called Gamer Grampz. I just spotted he has a beginner/early play guide. Maybe check that out?

5. sbrown64

sbrown64 Chieftain

I have finally finished this game winning with a mars landing, my first win! is there any point on playing on or start a new game?

Socrates- and Tor Inge like this.
  6. WLanky13

WLanky13 Chieftain

Congratulations on your win! Nice work! :goodjob:

Usually, after I win a game, I don't keep playing because there isn't much point. I almost always start a new game, and if I feel comfortable enough on the difficulty level I just won on, I will move up a difficulty. You could also start a new game on settler and try to win a different victory like cultural or domination.

Once again, feel free to ask any questions on your next game!

7. Tor Inge

Tor Inge Chieftain

Grats! No point playing on, unless you want to wage wars with Hi-Tech units and research everything. No score or achievements are recorded.

8. sbrown64

sbrown64 Chieftain

is it worth replacing ziggurats with campus or anything else?

9. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Ziggurats are very useful early game but if you need some land later one or two can be replaced as their value does not scale well with the game.
    Naturally you are replacing 2 science and 1 culture as well as some tourism so there is a theoretical loss involved to consider but if you have the production to nurture a campus to at least university level then sure.

10. sbrown64

sbrown64 Chieftain

build a campus on top of the tile?

11. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Not sure how to answer that. I guess a simple yes is best. I do not think you need a builder to remove the zig first but not tried as I plan my districts to save deleting zigs.