How would you like to change civ?

Just out of curiosity, are you using any version control system, like SVN or so? If not, I'd suggest to take in consideration using one. It's very convenient, because when you make some portion of code that change previous functionality and you're not glad about it, or it turned out that it broke something, you can easily rollback your changes.

I won't recommend using Subversion (SVN), distributed SCM is better, because you don't need any server while working only locally. So, GIT, Mercurial or Fossil would be a great choice.

Can I ask if you use any framework or design patterns?
Another question is if you use any coding standards? This may seem to be irrelevant but in the long term is very useful, especially if by chance you'll decide to go open source and share your code (with GIT it's very simple: just register on github and and it as remote to your local repository).

My final question is about testing and code quality. Do you use Unit Testing to test your code? You can believe me that code quality increases much with UT.

BR,
Ventus

@Ventus,
Interesting question that you ask, and I've been thinking about these issues since you asked, what feels like a few days ago but I see it was yesterday. I don't use version control systems at the moment, I don't want to rely on being able to "roll back" changes in case they break something, I prefer knowing the system well enough. I only need one "version". But at some point of time I might work on some other project that requires more than one people, and as long as the group of people working on something doesn't change, then I guess it's still manageable, but what would happen if the guy who was in charge of the (*something*) quit and nobody understood his code? So, yes, perhaps in a big project you need cvs, gitt or whatever the names of those systems are, and maybe someday in the future I might find out about them. But as for now this is a project where I intend to do all the "under the hood" code myself, I am developing a domain specific language though and my hope is that people will be able to share scripts.

I don't know about open source, perhaps I'm too egotistical. I kinda want to test what I'm able to develop by myself. But with that said what I'm working on is kinda a game engine. I'm working with the premise of "if you can't do it right enable someone else to do it", that means that all of the sprites, rules of the game and so forth should be editable, but the game engine under that, I think I'm able to do that. This project is as much about proving to myself and others what I can do as it is about my addiction to turn based strategy. Think of me as a budding game developer, because that's what I want to be, it's my dream. But I don't think I'll ever be able to make a game that's "cool enough" to actually make any revenue by myself. But I do think I will be able to make a game that's going to be "cool enough" to at least make people visit my blog and download it for free. I hope I'll be able to do a "real" game some day in the future, but I won't be able to do it myself.

I saw your post asking about the AI. In a interview the developers said that it's just a glorified random number generator.

Top Bottom