1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Huge Solar System map question

Discussion in 'Maps & Scenarios' started by kodemunkey, Mar 27, 2014.

1. kodemunkey

kodemunkey Chieftain

Hello, i have an utterly mad idea to create a scenario which involves our Solar system out towards the Oort cloud to be used for educational purposes. How would i go about doing this?

2. Sparth

Sparth C2C Team Member

Better use Final Frontier mod for thit scenario.

3. kodemunkey

kodemunkey Chieftain

Fair enough, but...how?

4. Noriad

Noriad Chieftain

If you want a playable, very detailed map of our solar system for educational purposes I'd recommend checking out the game "Aurora 4x" on

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php .

It is not a commercial game nor open source, but a one man hobby project and offered for free.

Aurora 4x is a space strategy wargame that plays on an extremely large, very detailed map of our solar system, with 8 planets, several dwarf-planets, lots of comets, 99 moons and hundreds of asteroids, all plotted to actual scale. Check out this video of the map here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFEGqRSOOVU&feature=youtu.be&t=1m10s
    (vid starts already at 1 minute and 10 secs in progress)

Warning 1: this strategy game is not for the faint-of-heart. Its complexity is similar to Dwarf Fortress, with a similar learning curve.

Warning 2: if you install the game, it writes some files to the Windows directory. Make very sure you choose to keep the original files there and not overwrite them. Some people lazily clicked ok to overwrite and ended up with some of their other software not working anymore.

5. KaiserTom

KaiserTom Chieftain

Also don't forget to install a mass driver on a receiving planet. Let's just say I learned that the (hilariously) hard way.