Humankind Game by Amplitude

Okay guys its a secret transmission from a hospital where I have no access to the internet (but I do have access to improving my quality of life)

Has anything interesting happened over last two weeks? Any news about open dev?

Okay guys its a secret transmission from a hospital where I have no access to the internet (but I do have access to improving my quality of life)

Has anything interesting happened over last two weeks? Any news about open dev?

Nah, not really anything. But I guess they'll do a few more content videos soon.

And by the way, all the best for your treatment or whatever it is you are at the hospital for.

When and even if different religions form into blocks is honestly really dependent on the civilizations involved. For example, if you don't care about investing in religion at all, you may decide to adopt a neighbor's religion very early to benefit from their tenets. On the other hand, maybe all civilizations involved don't want to lose control or the tenets they have adopted, so they try to maintain their religion for the entire game.

"First" in this case only refers to this being the first time you encounter the religion system. You might decide this is your only religions for the game, but you might also adopt another civilization's religion. And thematically adopting Judaism or Islam of course is quite different than the Polytheism or Shamanism you begin with.

It's mostly about access to an additional Holy Site. I think there may be narrative events attached to the different religions, but I would have to dig through the entire list of events to be sure.

New tenets are unlocked by the number of followers, not your faith output. This is one reason why adopting another religion may be beneficial: With more civilizations following this religion the number of followers will grow more quickly, and thus you unlock more tenets sooner.

Belated thanks for your responses. I look forward to the next Feature Focus.

Amplitude were recently in a thing at WritingBull's (a German streamer) recent stream. And there are some juicy stuff in there that we haven't seen before. Someone who has a way better knowledge of German than me please describe for us haha

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/746919508

Amplitude were recently in a thing at WritingBull's (a German streamer) recent stream. And there are some juicy stuff in there that we haven't seen before. Someone who has a way better knowledge of German than me please describe for us haha

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/746919508

So, I’ll try. only new stuff, or new for me. And stuff that was noteworthy to me.... :)

- a lot of small banter. Some UI-changes since OpenDev. Cat prepared a video that shows a half-game of Humankind cut down to twenty minutes, so there are cuts. He mentions the competitions all the time and how Humankind is a competitor to civ and he loves that civ gets a competitor now.

- Video starts from 2:55. Cat explains everything in detail. This is a video for people not knowing anything about Humankind so far.
- circumnavigating is a competitve deed giving fame.
- Lake Hillier is a Natural Wonder.
- Combining cities is a way to combat micromanaging.
- Hanniku is a Hittite city.
- There‘s a combat of when Assyrians attack the city of Babylon, while she‘s already Celtic. Cat uses that to explain reinforcements and that terrain is really important.
- If you lose militias, the city loses population.
- Last (third) part of video is religion and ideology.
- Animism and Shamanism are „religions“. Religions tend to group in blocks
- Many World Wonders double as Holy Sites.
- Religious Tenets at 3:11.
- Civic Ideology influences international relations. (The civic screen is around 3:13)
- The Cave event was triggered by the scouts being attacked by a bear + the city of Ur having a cave nearby. The triggers are really extremely based on your game situation. You shouldn‘t encounter the same events in two games.
- he asks for a timeline. Cat can only say: „2021“. PC and Mac-versions, everything else is up in the air.
- balancing will depend on the multi-player community and their wild strategies, only online-mulitplayer, no hotseat due to simultaneous turns (see battle and reinforcements).

A panel on the results of the OpenDev feedback and scenarios:

Moderator Action: Please post this only in one thread in future. leif

I know I am very late to the party - only began to seriously dig about the game in this week; and I really love it, esp. the represetation of different culture traits in the form of yields - but one serious question to devs who happened to have a look of this thread: Why pair Zhou with a "Confucian School" as EQ?

Confucianism-focused educational institutions only emerged in Han, not Zhou; when Confucian/Kongzi was born Zhou was already in decline; his school of thought was only one of the many other thoughts at the time, never reached a dominant status or official status until late Western Han; and most importantly, Kongzi was a firm proponent of private education, but the official attitude of Zhou, before its decline, was about state-sponsored education, and they did established their own educational institutions (辟雍, for example).

If you want to give Zhou an institution that "taught lessons about morality, justice, and how to be a righteous leader", I would suggest change the "Confucian" of "Confucian School" to "Classics", indicating the teaching of Zhou Classics (經; named "Chinese Classics" by modern scholars) - the group of Zhou texts that gave birth of Confucianism, and also talking about morality, justice, and righteousness, but are not necessarily Confucianism themselves.
"Confucianism" was mostly a particular teaching of this larger tradition of Classics.

Last edited:
I was wondering...
Since we're already half-way through revealing the Industrial era cultures, do you think by the time we reach the last culture of the Modern era, it'll be almost release?

I asked this same "question" over at the G2G Forums, and someone in that same thread speculated that the game might get released a year from now, rather than the first half of 2021 as some of us speculated/expected. What do you guys think?

I think the reveal are not related to the launch. IMO, the poeple really concerned about culture choices are niche. And the game is in alpha, I think ?
So after reveal, they need to show a lot of things, because a large part of the audience don't know how work humankind, and think than it's like Civ with different graphics.
For exemple showing evolutions of a city through era, the different type of combats, etc, etc ... there is a lot of things to tease, reveal, and explain.

They could simply follow-up the culture reveals with Wonders, natural wonders, unit lines, tech trees for each era etc. Or just bring back the regular dev diaries ;-) they‘ll find something to keep the hype up. Yet, I don‘t think it will take until autumn next year.

I think the reveal are not related to the launch. IMO, the poeple really concerned about culture choices are niche. And the game is in alpha, I think ?

The playable but extremely focused 'scenarios' of the game that have been shown are labeled Alpha, but they could have been assembled months ago: we don't really know the current status of the game.

They could simply follow-up the culture reveals with Wonders, natural wonders, unit lines, tech trees for each era etc. Or just bring back the regular dev diaries ;-) they‘ll find something to keep the hype up. Yet, I don‘t think it will take until autumn next year.

They could also repeat reveals but this time with dedicated videos/diaries and exact abilities being shown, although that does seem unlikely. Or maybe six videos, one per each era.

I have a question, is Sweden in the industrial era confirmed? I'd prefer not, it would be too many Europeans in one era and I'd love to see militarist early modern Sweden...

Last edited:
They could also repeat reveals but this time with dedicated videos/diaries and exact abilities being shown, although that does seem unlikely. Or maybe six videos, one per each era.

I have a question, is Sweden in the industrial era confirmed? I'd prefer not, it would be too many Europeans in one era and I'd love to see militarist early modern Sweden...
Agreed but I can see Industrial era being very eurocentric followed by the contemporary era being very varied to show the death of colonialism and rise of globalization (edits for spelling)

Agreed but I can see Industrial era being very eurocentric followed by the contemporary era being very varied to show the death of colonialism and rise of globalization (edits for spelling)
That being said I fully expect to see the Americans, Brazilians and Soviets with the possibility of either one of, or both of, the Australians or Canadians showing up.

Top Bottom