Huts

Simon Darkshade

Mysterious City of Gold
How does the hut system work?
As in, what determines whether it is a barbarian, mercenary, advanced tribe, various money, or settlers.

I know that tech stops after you develop Invention, but are there any other parameters?

What controls the random chance, and can it be edited, for scen use?

I'm afraid that the system is random, but there are controls on it as with Invention, as you mentioned. You never get cities or barbarians when the hut is within the radius of one of your cities, or indeed any city. You never get barbarians when you have not founded a city. I remember people saying that you cannot have more than one NON settler from a hut at any one time but am not certain of this and have not checked.

That is not true...you can have multiple NON settlers from huts at the same time...i had about 4 when playing on the World map on several occasions...but that was on Chieftain; maybe that rule holds true on higher levels.

you can have more than 1 non but you approx 2/3 more likely to receive a nomad when a NON is not allready present on the same landmass.

yes,Invention ends all tech from huts.

No barbs before founding..well very very rare.Safe to open fearlessly.

Minimum gold 25-max 200

No advanced tribes on anything but plains or grass.

Barbs from polar huts will freeze to death...no need to fear.

At the diety level, if you lose your non-settler, it seems like you will get another one in the next 1-4 huts you open. I have not kept a log of this, it just seems like it.

Also, IIRC, all the nomads I have gotten from huts were on different continents or on islands. I don't remember ever getting a nomad on my home continent. Maybe someone should run some tests on this?

Originally posted by duke o' york
If you're in a position when you can see four specials and there's a hut that's not in the middle of them then you can guarantee that that hut contains an advanced tribe.
However, it is impossible for there to be a hut in the center of 4 specials.

The nomads were tested over at Apolyton (yes, people there play CivII from time to time ;) ). Being on different continents did not appear to have any effect on getting another NON-settler. As Smash points out, the odds of finding one greatly increases if you don't already have one, tho.

Another factor is remoteness. If the hut is some large number of tiles from the nearest city, an advanced tribe or nomad is more likely.

Barbarians also appear in a predictable pattern. The first single barbarian appears to the east, iirc. Thereafter, they appear one point of the compass clockwise. If the "next" tile is blocked (water or unit), they move one more around the dial. This is really only a big deal when mountain terrain will cause the barbarian to be a legion instead of a horseman.

I was only joking Sodak. Forgot to use the ;) smily though.
It was referring to the AI habit of giving you advanced tribves where you least need tham and forcing you to disband to make the most of the terrain or just live with the terrible positioning. The AI cities are like this too, but by then you are decimating their empire and the placement doesn't matter as much as it does at the very start of the game and the bonus resources make a lot of difference.
We stole the 'poly resource map by the way - it's somewhere in the Strategy and Tips forum - so I knew that the pattern won't let you have 4-special cities. :)

Originally posted by duke o' york
We stole the 'poly resource map by the way

Shame on you ;)
But don't worry, we steal a bunch of stuff from here too... :lol:

And yes, you can get a non settler when you already have one on the same continent... but, it does decrease the chances.

But what's this about predictable Barbs...
This is really only a big deal when mountain terrain will cause the barbarian to be a legion instead of a horseman.

Huh... If I'm reading this right, I just ran some tests and I can only say... NO WAY :p
(tested in MP mode with only AI's, at Deity and Raging Hordes)

Originally posted by Ming
This is really only a big deal when mountain terrain will cause the barbarian to be a legion instead of a horseman.

Huh... If I'm reading this right, I just ran some tests and I can only say... NO WAY :p

:eek: Not?? I was pretty certain mountain squares guaranteed legions? That is, not the hut itself being on a mountain, but if "hut-barbarians" are placed on a mountain square early in the game, it's always a legion...

I just tried to do some tests myself (FW), but I'm probably not familiar enough with preconditions for barbarians appearing or the random generator was playing tricks with me, because I could hardly get any barbarians to appear (even when using excessive reloading)... The only barbarian appearing on a mountain was a legion, though.

Originally posted by Ming
That nugget comes from the venerable Scouse Gits (#1, iirc) - one of them tested the outcomes of a hut in the early years. When barbarians came out, they followed the pattern I described.

In real game time, tho, you would have to have certain conditions to be able to use the knowledge - you'd have to tip two huts on your turn, both resulting in one barbarian. Small odds, but not impossible. If another civ tips a hut between your huts (on different turns, of course), you'd have to know what came out. Another useless piece of Apolyton info, perhaps? :p

As for legions, they are the only barbarian unit that will appear on mountains in the early-game. That is also the only condition for getting a barbarian legion; That is, they won't appear on any other terrain.

Does anyone know of an event that tells the game to stop huts from producing advanced tribes?

I don't think so. It happens even late in the game, and there's no way to change the settings yourself, as far as I know. If you are playing OCC you need to save the game and if you get the advanced tribe, reload and try again...

Top Bottom