I found a pattern that indicates that the Sioux will be added to Civ VI eventually

Is there any Native American civ that had a propensity for southern bayous and swamps? Someone who gets a boost from marshes could be interesting (besides the return of the Dutch).

Very interesting. Basically everything we thought is true.

• New civs are chosen the same way we do elimination threads. Many factors are taken into account such as geographic, cultural and time period diversity, unique gameplay offerings, fan popularity and recognizability to the general public. Ability to find a suitable (ideally non-mythological) leader matters as well and ruled out the Inuit.
  • "Former Colonies" were grouped by their origins and not their geographic location (using this logic, Civ VI is even more Euro-centric).
  • Canada was third place out of the "Former Colony" civs. The top two (Brazil and Australia) have made their way into Civ VI. This means Canada may still appear in Civ VI in an expansion or DLC.
  • Hittites were third out of the near east civ options.
  • Vietnam was third out of the SEA civs that were considered.
  • "Majapahit" was changed to "Indonesia" to be more recognizable and help people pronounce it correctly.
  • The Pueblo and Inuit were ruled out for reasons that are probably still true today. This leaves the Sioux as the #1 available NA civ.
  • Not explicitly stated, but it seems likely that DLC civs are the ones that garner the largest fan reactions. If the Zulu are brought back, they will likely be DLC. Canada seems like a DLC choice as well. Vietnam would probably be the same.
Is there any Native American civ that had a propensity for southern bayous and swamps? Someone who gets a boost from marshes could be interesting (besides the return of the Dutch).

The Seminole?

It's a flaw in numbers. There's too many different unique civs that it's hard to pick any out specifically to use, unlike Central America (Aztec) and South America (Inca) (although the old colonization player in me always wishes that the Tupi would make an appearance, since I always liked having them around).
I'd argue that the Maya are the standout in Mesoamerica; it's just that Monty has become a Civ mascot, like Gandhi and Alexander...

You also have the "flaw" in that the largest one, the Iroquois, essentially should start at the same place as America. I'm sure if the Iroquois were found more on the West, they'd be as common in Civ games as the Aztecs, or at least the Inca.
I'm not sure how much TSL weighs on their decision.

Best choice would probably be the Calusa, but unfortunately we know very little of their language.

It does according to the video, but it certainly doesn't trump the other criteria on its own.

I think that's because it's Ed giving the presentation. IIRC He's said in other interviews that TSL is something he personally enjoys, so its possible when he's talking about it in the video he's more speaking about his own design priorities than the general team philosophy.

As you say, it doesn't trump the other criteria, but that's perhaps only when the other members of the team gang up and overrule him, otherwise we would only be getting civs that made for a balanced TSL setup :lol:

I think the Cherokee would make a good addition. They started in the Southeast and were fairly developed, adapting to the white man way of living, at least until they were forced out by the government.

I think the Cherokee would make a good addition. They started in the Southeast and were fairly developed, adapting to the white man way of living, at least until they were forced out by the government.
Or rather until their self-destructive policies and self-serving leadership sold them out. Of the five major tribes of the Southeast (the so-called Five Civilized Tribes), I'd rank the Cherokee only ahead of the Seminole; any of the Creek, Chickasaw, or Choctaw would be better choices for the Southeast.

since we have multiple leaders why not make a "North American Indian"-civ with different leaders from different tribes? (sorry if this sounds dumb/ignorant, i'm not very informed about the topic :dunno:)

since we have multiple leaders why not make a "North American Indian"-civ with different leaders from different tribes? (sorry if this sounds dumb/ignorant, i'm not very informed about the topic :dunno:)

You're not wrong that some of the NA civs could be grouped up, but generally they each had their own societal organization, culture and beliefs. Aztecs != Iroquois for instance.

It would be difficult to come up with a set of abilities that work for both of those groups at once.

It's just that it's a whole continent of different people living very differently. It would be like trying to come up with a "Europe" or "Africa" civ.

Civ 4 did exactly this, but it's not a very popular solution because umbrella civilizations tend to do a very poor job of representing the often-many differences between its constituent civilizations. Even at the best of times it's sorely inaccurate; at worst it can border on being offensive.

Another example is Civ 5's Celts, which implies a unified Scotland-Wales-Ireland-miscellany blob lead by Boudicca, who has little to do with any of that.

The Iroquois could return, but have a different leader this time. Joseph Brant would be one of the best available Iroquois leaders with a definitive historical record.

I don't know if the Pueblo is still a no go. It was a no when they would have been at a point that they needed to act quickly. Knowing the concerns of the decedents asking to use their representation now vs. asking then is totally different. Of course, it still offers considerable barriers, but I don't think the blindsided "no" (which they don't actually need the permission for anyways) is the final nail in the coffin.

Civilizations from previous games that are not in Civ VI:

Babylon (I, II, III, IV, V)
Mongol (I, II, III, IV, V)
Zulu (I, II, III, IV, V)

(The other 11 civs from 1 return)

Carthage (II, III, IV, V)
Celtic (II, III, IV, V)
Sioux (II)

(Japan, Spain, and Persia return from II in VI; you could also count Norway as II's Vikings)

Iroquois (III, V) (IV had Native Americans)
Hittites (III)
Korea (III, IV, V)
Ottomans (III, IV, V)
Byzantine (III, IV, V)
Dutch (III, IV, V)
Incan (III, IV, V)
Mayan (III, IV, V)
Portugeuse (III, IV, V)

(Arabia and Sumeria are the only returning civs from III in VI)

HRE (IV)
Khmer (IV) *
Mali (IV)
Ethiopia (IV, V)

(No civs introduced in IV have returned for VI)

Assyria (V)
Austria (V)
Danish (V; was pretty much Vikings in previous games, akin to Norway in VI)
Huns (V)
Indonesia (V) *
Morocco (V)
Polynesia (V)
Shoshone (V)
Siam (V)
Songhai (V)
Sweden (V)
Venice (V)

(Brazil and Poland are the only civs introduced in V to return in VI so far)

Total returning civs from each game: 11 from I, 4 from II (if you count Norway as Vikings), 2 from III, 0 from IV, 2 from V

New to Civ VI: Kongo, Scythia, Nubia, Australia, Macedonia (3/5 of them from DLC)

Civs that have returned for every game since their introduction except VI (not including civs introduced in Civ 5:

I: Babylon, Mongols, Zulu
II: Carthage, Celts
III: Ottomans, Byzantine, Dutch, Inca, Maya, Portugeuse, Korea
IV: Ethiopia

The only civs that are not from Civ V and are not a "conglomerate" civ like "Vikings" that have only been in one game are the HRE, the Sioux, the Hittites, Mali, and the Khmer (for now, at least).

The only civ that has missed a game and then returned in a later one, and isnot yet in Civ VI (ie: Sumeria) is the Iroquois (even then, Civ IV had the Native Americans, so it's a bit debatable). The other 13 civs have not been dropped from a game in the series once they have been introduced.

Representation-wise, the Sioux and the Shoshone occupy a similar geographical slot; so do Denmark and Norway, which is already in VI. I think it's fairly reasonable to assume that we'll see all of the consistently-returning civs as DLC (Babylon through Portugal above) as well as possibly the Iroquois. That + the two upcoming DLCs makes 40, which is still less than the total civs by the end of Civ 5. Of course, this would still be lacking a NA Native American civ besides the Iroquois, a western and/or central African civ, and some sort of Polynesian civ, which they might split like the did Vikings and Native Americans in previous games. With Sumeria and now Khmer, Civ VI has already pulled two civs from games earlier than its immediate predecessor, the same number that Civ V did itself. Add in some strong potential Civ V returnees like Austria and the Huns, and we still have a handful of empty civs before we hit 50. (Hypothetically speaking, if they added all 14 likely-returning civs + second NA civ + west-central African civ + Polynesian civ + Austria/Huns, it would total to 45).

The options they could realistically go with for the NA civ(s) are:

* Introduce only one NA civ, whether new or returning (least likely by the end of Civ VI's life, though obviously somewhat likely in the short-term)

* Bring back two between the Iroquois, Sioux, and Shoshone--if this is the case, Iroquois/Sioux seems very likely; Civ VI seems to be bringing back older civs that missed Civ V, of which the Sioux definitely fits the bill, while the Iroquois have already been in multiple games at this point

* Bring one back and introduce a new one; the Shoshone seem the least likely to return for the above reasons, but whether they pick Iroquois or Sioux for the returning one would be a toss-up

* Eventually have three NA civs; this is probably unlikely, but possible by the last of the Civ VI DLC; I could easily see two returning NA civs and a new one if this happens

Between the reasons already in the OP and just looking at the number of returning civs and what games they came from, the Sioux are definitely a very strong candidate for DLC; if there end up being 3 NA civs, even moreso.

Last edited:
That's interesting. Without looking I would have assumed the Inca were an original (or at least introduced in II).

Having very little actual knowledge on the various different tribes/civilizations, Cherokee and Apache would come to my mind first. Yeah, cars and helicopters...

Although defunct, American car company Pontiac was named after Chief Pontiac, the indigenous Native American leader whose tribe (don't recall their name right now) fought the British before the settlers would ever dream of a revolutionary revolt.

sioux is the first NA civ i remember as a playable faction, so it'd be nice if they brought them back!

Although defunct, American car company Pontiac was named after Chief Pontiac, the indigenous Native American leader whose tribe (don't recall their name right now) fought the British before the settlers would ever dream of a revolutionary revolt.

A few more options with special achievements for building a helicopter unit:
-Chinook as the pacific northwest tribe
-or as a midwest tribe, add in the Sauk, with leader Black Hawk

Civs that have returned for every game since their introduction except VI (not including civs introduced in Civ 5:

I: Babylon, Mongols, Zulu
II: Carthage, Celts
III: Arabia, Ottomans, Byzantine, Dutch, Inca, Maya, Portugeuse
Isn't arabia in civ 6? (saladin)

Isn't arabia in civ 6? (saladin)

My bad, you're right. That would make 14 civs that are very likely to return from Civs I-IV, totaling to 40 including current and upcoming Civ VI civs. Civ V had 43 civs. Making some room for Civ V returnees (ie: Austria, Huns), there's still some room for new civs if Civ VI plans to have more civs than Civ V, and potentially some spots even if it's aiming for a similar number. If anything it makes it a bit more feasible to have 3 NA Native American civs, which if it happens to be the case makes the Sioux even more plausible.

Last edited:
Top Bottom