I just got my highest score ever:

Bast

Protector of Cats
62,691!! :D Victoria on noble - Domination victory.

My previous bests weren't even close I used to get in the 20,000's at best. This was a 1838 victory, I wonder why the score is so high compared to my previous ones when I've had earlier victories? :confused:

Anyway, it really is "Rule, Britannia!" with Victoria. :mischief: She's so good for domination. And Redcoats rule too. :)

Now that I've got space, cultural, domination and diplomatic victories on noble, maybe it's time to move up to Prince? :mischief:

My previous bests weren't even close I used to get in the 20,000's at best. This was a 1838 victory, I wonder why the score is so high compared to my previous ones when I've had earlier victories? :confused:

Anyway, it really is "Rule, Britannia!" with Victoria. :mischief: She's so good for domination. And Redcoats rule too. :)

Now that I've got space, cultural, domination and diplomatic victories on noble, maybe it's time to move up to Prince? :mischief:
it was high because you had more land than in the other games (probably) and because you finished earlier

my top score is ~179700, Immortal domination in ~1550AD

it was high because you had more land than in the other games (probably) and because you finished earlier

my top score is ~179700, Immortal domination in ~1550AD

Do the scores go up higher on higher levels?

Yes, they are higher in higher levels!

grats :)!!!!

i keep this info handy since the question about scoring comes up a lot. i looked it up once when i got curious after reading somebody say that cultural victories seem to score low, and realizing that was true. so if you're curious, here you go. if you're not, feel free to ignore me. actually you always have my permission for that, which of course you'd not need if you were ignoring me *giggle*.

this
is the official scoring formula, from an early version. i think it's vanilla pre-1.61, but afaik the theory behind it hasn't changed, perhaps even any of the math.

on top of that official formula, the modifiers for difficulty level (at least back then) are (or were):
Here are the score modifiers per difficulty level:

Chieftain : 0.6
Warlord : 0.8
Noble : 1.0
Prince : 1.2
Monarch : 1.4
Emperor : 1.6
Immortal : 1.8
Deity : 2.0

bizarrely enough, my highest score by FAR is on warlord :lol:. one of my first BtS games, i won a very early AP victory, not cheesing it out, they voted for me, but i held the vote as soon as the chance came up. got a lucky natural spread to the heathen i didn't have OB with. bingo, i won. score was like 4 times higher than any i'd previously seen, including deity since those were OCC and score verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry low by nature.

I could be wrong, and I don't have time to look it up, but isn't it "Rue Brittania"? I had to ask, 'cause it'll be on my mind all day. If i ask my brit coworker I'll likely get an earful of British history and I've got a printer to repair right now. :king:

I could be wrong, and I don't have time to look it up, but isn't it "Rue Brittania"? I had to ask, 'cause it'll be on my mind all day. If i ask my brit coworker I'll likely get an earful of British history and I've got a printer to repair right now. :king:

hahahaha! that's not even a giggle, that's a burst out laugh that scared my dogs!

i wiki'd it for ya. turns out that Rue Britannia is a Rocky & Bullwinkle episode. the song/poem is indeed Rule, Britannia. hahahahaha and a *giggle* too. good luck with your printer ;)

ps the haha's aren't at you, i hope that's clear. i just like to laugh and giggle.

hahahaha! that's not even a giggle, that's a burst out laugh that scared my dogs!

i wiki'd it for ya. turns out that Rue Britannia is a Rocky & Bullwinkle episode. the song/poem is indeed Rule, Britannia. hahahahaha and a *giggle* too. good luck with your printer ;)

ps the haha's aren't at you, i hope that's clear. i just like to laugh and giggle.

No worries...I just wasn't sure and it was driving me crazy. I guess being a Rocky and Bullwinkle fan left some residual memory in my brain making me think "Rue britannia". Heck, I'm not even sure what that means. :):goodjob:

I have to say, I think the scores are weighted too heavily towards how early you win. I think a Domination victory in the 1900s is much more impressive than a space race victory in the 1800s, yet it wont score as such

No worries...I just wasn't sure and it was driving me crazy. I guess being a Rocky and Bullwinkle fan left some residual memory in my brain making me think "Rue britannia". Heck, I'm not even sure what that means. :):goodjob:

From Cambridge Dictionary....
rue
verb [T] rueing or ruing, rued, rued OLD USE OR LITERARY
to feel sorry about an event and wish it had not happened; regret

compared to

rule (CONTROL)
verb [I or T]
1 to control, or to be the person in charge of a country:
Most modern kings and queens rule (their countries) only in a formal way, without real power.
She rules her household with an iron hand/fist (= severely).

2 to be the most important and controlling influence on someone:
Love ruled supreme in her heart.
The desperate desire to go to Moscow ruled their lives.

Personally, I never even look at scores! :D

I wouldn't know what a high or low score is! ;)

I dont! :p

I really genuinely have no idea - I look at the ranking for half a second.... it's the journey not the destination that I play for - I don't even play to win.... winning is often a disappointment as I was enjoying it ;)

it's the journey not the destination that I play for - I don't even play to win.... winning is often a disappointment as I was enjoying it ;)

well, i don't generally go that far myself *giggle*. but even tho i'm the one that referenced the official scoring formula, i mostly ignore what Firaxis thinks, except to look at it and go "okay, that's your opinion, what do you know?" i have my points formula in my head, based on what made me laugh, what did i do that i didn't think i could get done, was i able to pull myself out of trouble at a bad stretch, etc. double bonus points if somebody else kills monty early and i never have to deal with him, or i get the music GA from a hut, that sort of thing.

there is one thing about the official ranking that i do care about. if i lose, i really prefer getting ranked as Ethelred the Unready rather than Dan Quayle. i like that the formula considers me at least a teensy bit good at losing. but when i win, my theory is that i know far better than the formula does how particularly challenging and fun that game was ;).

I think the whole scoring system is very weak, and as a single player I have ignored it for a long time. My opinion is that :-
1). The score formula is fantastically over-complicated, and except for a "time" victory bears almost no relation to the displayed in-game score.
2). The effect of an early win rather than a later one is far too powerful.
3). The difficulty level affects the final score, but the type of victory, map type and map size do not. Should a Domination victory on a Tiny map, finishing early, get a better score than a much later Conquest win on a Huge pangaea ? Or, taking an example from my own recent play when I reloaded at the discovery of Flight and played on in two variations, why should a Conquest victory (using tanks and bombers) have given a much better score than a Space victory which took considerably longer because of the necessary tech research time ? Actually, I do know the answer: because in the Conquest win I had much more land and population, though less techs, and above all finished earlier.
4). The final rankings are too closely spaced. There have been lots of posters complaining about always being Dan Quayle or Ethelred, and a few cheering about getting Augustus, but I don't remember ever seeing mention of the intermediate positions. To get to the top of the list ought to be a real achievement, not a matter of routine.

Top Bottom