1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I seriously cannot be the only one thinking this..

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by MALCIV6, Aug 23, 2016.

1. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

I have to admit that I mistake towards the end of NOT warmongering these days . . . in previous Civs I'd typically conquer my continent before turtling up. :)

2. Acken

Acken Deity

The beauty of civ is that if the culture victory bores you you can do something else !

3. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

I'm glad to hear that you understand this subject is clearly a matter of opinion. That being said, I don't think anyone likes being tricked into an emotion that they probably dislike, which is the feeling that someone else is disregarding their opinion. I strongly recommend you not purposely word things to get reactions from people. That's like middle school drama.

4. Larsenex

Larsenex King

^^ This is me to a T

5. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

Meh, I don't like going to war until the endgame, so Civ upping their peace game is a good thing in my opinion. (especially because it hinges less on building buildings and getting alllll the bonuses)

6. Miravlix

Miravlix King

I don't understand cars and I have no intention of ever learning, but I can still drive one.

Same is true of op in regard to civ.

The difference between me and op, is I don't go on a car forums telling them about cars...

7. MALCIV6

MALCIV6 Chieftain

Oh wow, ''tricked into an emotion''..

It was to encourage people into commenting on their thoughts and how they view/play the game.

Do not take it so personally, it is a computer game to which I assumed would provoke a debate, not something to be taken to heart.

Just to re-iterate it is a computer game and the content was regarding an opinion on one of the many scenarios. I just want to make it clear I never meant to hurt your feelings with stating as to how I play the game.

8. True_Candyman

True_Candyman Emperor

Sounds like you're pretty satisfied with the game and have some Civs you enjoy playing with, so good for you :goodjob:

It's good that a game like this can draw in all different types! I personally find the combat in Civ V to be tedious and off putting so I've avoided it. Hoping civ VI improves that! It's at the very least looking like it won't be such a hindrance this time around :goodjob:

9. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

You could also encourage people into commenting their thoughts by expressing your opinion and asking them for theirs. You don't need to goad them with "this is the essence of Civilization".

But no, I didn't take it personally. Others might. I'm not saying you were trying to hurt someone's feelings at all! I'm saying you might be unaware that trying to goad responses may also make people upset. :)

10. MALCIV6

MALCIV6 Chieftain

It was meant to be said in a lighthearted way as opposed to ''I like winning via domination, I find cultural/political wins to be less exciting, what do you think?''

I should hope no-one gets upset on 1 random persons view of a computer game but who knows these days..

11. BackseatTyrant

BackseatTyrant Queer Anarchotranshumanist

When I saw OP basically saying that the essence of the Civ games is to take over the world through military means, I came to think of this clip.

In all seriousness, though, I've always been against the idea that great nations conquer, and thus always wanted Firaxis to include mechanics which reward players for staying peaceful.

12. magha77

magha77 Warlord

It's a game with different ways to win. I like that. War became a little boring in Civ 5, just bombard the heck out of a city and stroll in. My first cultural victory was so much more rewarding.

13. Ebrim

Ebrim Warlord

I'm an economist at heart and war always carries the knowledge that I'm just being horrifically inefficient with resources. It may sound silly but this bothers me terribly. I'm also a father and have become quite the softie as a result. No, the best victories for me from Civ V were on the back of a massive trading Empire that could buy whatever and whoever it wanted. This will also be my default approach to Civ VI. Major wars of conquest leave me feeling sad and wasteful.

14. DeutschDachs

DeutschDachs King

I did enjoy conquering at one point in my Civ life, but Civ V somewhat ruined it for me with its global happiness. I'd often have to raze cities to keep my happiness in check when I'd rather keep all the cities so I can see the map covered in my Civs color. I want the world to realize the glory of my civilization and allow them to be a part of it, not mindlessly burn cities with women and children for the sake of happiness!

That said I generally prefer to go science or culture or in this case religion and the wars tend to only arise out of other civs attacking me and being wiped as a result or something like them settling a tiny city in between my own

15. Abraxis

Abraxis Emperor

I like to build cities in areas of the map I can imagine as being very pretty. I'll even re-roll over and over until I get a start that inspires my imagination with wonderful vistas. And I'll leave forests up and unimproved just because I like the way they look.
    Then I like to build the happiest and most diplomatically influential civ by trying to maintain a coalition of peace by strategically alienating aggressive civs, and trying to maintain it as long as possible. I've never even cared about winning.
    I think I only ever completed 2 games in over 3000 hours of play in CiV.

The problem with CivV for me was my coalitions of peace would always get torn apart when one member DOW another and all the defensive pacts got confused and suddenly everyone hated everyone for being pulled into a war against their friend, turning everyone into a villain.

I am hoping now the diplomacy system will be a little more mature and allow for more sensible scenarios.

Anyways, I think we all need to keep in mind that the developers aren't bad because they don't %100 cater to our taste. This is beyond silly.

16. E_T

E_T Chieftain

This has all of the earmarks of a Trolling DL... with that said...

I am more a warbuilder, whom only goes to war (mostly) to deliver a spanking to the AI for desturbing my peaceful play with their warmongering... but gets boring with a dumb AI...

I find the different possibilities that 6 brings to the series has me wanting it now... I bypassed 5 for many reasons, a lot dealing with the 'incompleteness' to it... I am looking forward to this all new game engine and all of the fresh complexities...

17. GermanSettler

GermanSettler Warlord

I have rarely gone for a domination victory... so I cannot agree at all.

Actually, I found the culture influence % in CiV going up and up to be the most "satisfying" victory type, especially when you have different ideologies that trigger revolutions :devil:

18. Martinus

Martinus Emperor

I have been playing the Civ series since the release of Civ (1) and have always preferred the builder and cultural side of the game, and welcomes the changes introduced in this regard over the years - I find the warmongering tedious and, in fact, sometimes ignore it too much in favour of building.

19. dturtle1

dturtle1 Prince

Because nothing screams "Civilisation" like going on a murderous rampage :/
    I personally won quite a few science and score victories in Civilisation 2. Culture is Civilisation, hence the term "Uncivilised Barbarians" when referring to people of a different culture group to you.(Not saying Culture is the only way to play Civ of course just commenting on the Irony of calling Culture not Civilisation enough :))

20. Edish

Edish Chieftain

Well, yes - I have to agree.

I hated certain parts of CIV5, such as the archaeologist minigame... I mean I'm a emperor for my people, why do I care about some kahki-clad scout-wannabe goes around and digs in the dirt.

The problem with including such things is that it feels so construed. You have to build this building to put this vase into it, or you have to create a monument on the spot (can't I just store it in a damn barn or something). And you have to build an opera house to STORE a musical piece... come on, that's just stupid...

I loved when culture had a conquering aspect to it in Civ4, you pushed your neighbors borders away and you stole his land - even flipped cities. Not as it was in CIV5 when you had two buckets to fill - tourism and culture, the fastest filler wins...

Civ should just drop those minigame parts that add very little, and have a GOD view. What would a god do to make my civ the greatest. I just came from the Paradox discussion and realized that is why I to a much greater extent play EU4 than Civ5...