ICS Theorycrafting!

One point, in the livestream the thorium reactor seemed to be giving 5 energy instead of 3.

This suggests that ALL buildings have an associated quest.. (so that you can get one of two bonuses)

So far all those bonuses are flat bonuses per building. Which is good for ICS. (normally cheap buildings have the best yield/cost)

One point, in the livestream the thorium reactor seemed to be giving 5 energy instead of 3.

This suggests that ALL buildings have an associated quest.. (so that you can get one of two bonuses)

So far all those bonuses are flat bonuses per building. Which is good for ICS. (normally cheap buildings have the best yield/cost)

Yeah, it's interesting that yields have seemingly been moved primarily to tile improvements (very high compared to Civ 5) and away from buildings (fairly weak flat bonuses from what we've seen).

It's honestly a little worrisome because there are also new ways to get units outside of production (espionage and stations). It makes me wonder if city-building will be engaging, or whether growth (for +science and to work power tiles) über alles will be even more important than in Civ5.

Of course, we haven't seen any late-game buildings afaict. Perhaps this design decision was in response to the tech-web offering too many opportunities for imbalance.

Sorry for the ramble, just brainstorming here.

The Worker Tile Improvements seem to even better than the buildings, (giving up to+6 yield), which would seem to be bad for ICS.

I think that depends on whether there are any significant %-based buildings (that are costly in terms of hammers). If not, big yields from tiles promote ICS just as much as flat-yield buildings.

I think that depends on whether there are any significant %-based buildings (that are costly in terms of hammers). If not, big yields from tiles promote ICS just as much as flat-yield buildings.

That is the thing that probably most favors ICS... so far there have been only 2 different % buildings seen... both need a resource in range (+10% science..requires xenomass, +20% Health..requires resilin)

It also helps reduce the 'science runaway'

That is the thing that probably most favors ICS... so far there have been only 2 different % buildings seen... both need a resource in range (+10% science..requires xenomass, +20% Health..requires resilin)

It also helps reduce the 'science runaway'

I am not sure what you are saying here (or even whether you are agreeing with me or not), can you clarify?

Beyond Earth exhibits design choices that make wide empires more attractive compared to Civ V. Which is in my opinion a good thing.

I am not sure what you are saying here (or even whether you are agreeing with me or not), can you clarify?

What I'm saying is that ICS seems favored so far because of the lack of % based buildings (I agree that % based buildings..particularly expensive ones hurt ICS)

Beyond Earth exhibits design choices that make wide empires more attractive compared to Civ V. Which is in my opinion a good thing.
Hmm . . . We'll have to see. I can think of several new factors which might inhibit wide growth. Having to deal with miasma and the aliens for one, but the most obvious is the slowed down process to start up a new colony (outpost first, only then colony). And it's too early to say how much health and the absence of luxury goods might be a limiting factor.

On the other hand, there are some new "per city" bonuses which might help wide more than tall, and, perhaps more importantly, I haven't yet seen the equivalent to the National Wonders which were so important in BNW (The National College in and of itself induced many players to at least start tall).

Overall, I get the sense the devs want balance. Which as as it should be. Ideally, one should be able to take either path.

Going to start my first game tonight, going to roll Apollo right of the bat and if I die I die. Going to use the ARC and use spy efficiency to help with tech defiency of going wide. What do you think about pairing aristocrats with indûstry? What other load out options should I choose?

Top Bottom