Idea for 3rd Genovese UHV

SultanRedSnake

Warlord
Excellent mod! Here's one reason why: Playing as the Genovese (on Viceroy, first time) I was able to take part in a chapter of history that is quite dear to me: the defense of Constantinople against the Ottomans. Having completed the first 2 UHV conditions, and with the 3rd being a foregone conclusion, I thought I'd give this foray a shot with limited expectations. That is, until I started to actually succeed in keeping back the Turks (and preserving my link to the Crimea).

Therefore, since having 10 OBs is, at this point, a joke, let me propose an idea for a 3rd UHV: ensure the survival of Byzantium until a certain year. On viceroy, I kept up until about 1600 without the aid of Hungary or Arabia, two of the Ottomans' main foes early on (of course the Hapsburgs came later). This isn't merely a distraction; the Genovese did, indeed, take part in the 1453 defense of the city in order to ensure their trade with the Crimea and other Black Sea interests remained open.

I'll admit my ignorance regarding what this would involve in the actually modding process, but it seems like the 3rd Genovese UHV is just a placeholder at this point. Cheers!

ensureing the survival of Byzans is to much of a cointoss ... its very possible that Bulgaria collapse them by capping the Constantinople (which for Byzans deals twice as much stability damage, while they get little/none for other cities), and Venice love rerouting Crusades to cap the city as well. (which is a UHV for them)

Thanks, Sian, this is just the kind of input I'm looking for, since I've only played through twice. Although perhaps it's only a coin-toss without outside assistance? What I want is some way to get the Genovese involved in the affairs of Constantinople as well as spark a rivalry with Venice and later the Ottomans. So perhaps add controlling the city to the Genovese UHV, regardless of whether the Byzantines survive? Either way, I thought playing Genoa as-is didn't call for much activity (except for the few eastern settlements), whereas their historical MO was subtle involvement all over Europe.

Survival of the Byz is actually very hard to achieve. The Ottomans have a hidden boost when attacking Constantinople, hence Byzantine AI cannot hold any kind of an attack.

I like the general idea of Genoa meddling with the east Mediterranean, but we have to pick something more appropriate. Venice has the 4-th Crusade, Genoa can get something like the Battle of Lepanto. We just have to figure out how to implement it.

- Make sure the Ottomans have a smaller navy then you?
- Sink a number of ships belonging to the ruler of Constantinople? (Byz, Venice or Ottomans)
- Make sure there are no Ottoman or Byz cities on the Mediterranean islands (Cyprus, Rhodes etc).

i'd consider moving UHV 1 up the time table (to somewhere in mid-late 1300's, just before Ottoman prehaps?), to emulate the first strong age for them (before their decline in 14'th century where they lost wars against Venice, Milan and France), and then recreating the 3'd UHV into a 'copy' of Hungarys 3'd, but targeting different areas (targeted for 1566, loss of Chios), keeping Byzans and Otto off the mediterranean islands, (Cyprus, Rhodes and prehaps adding a new province, covering the assorted islands in Aegean sea)

I wasn't aware of the hidden modifiers, so perhaps that is impossible. I like the idea of controlling the Mediterranean islands, 3Miro. Whatever the timetable, Sian, getting OBs is too easy since most civs share religion. In RFC, the Portuguese UHV was a challenge because of the eastern civs (and it required 12 OBs). All good ideas otherwise.

Top Bottom