Idea for Improving Tech Boosts

godotnut

Inverted Unicycle
I had an idea about how to change and improve tech boosts in Civ6. Please let me know if this is already a commonly discussed idea or if there is a mod for this already (that would be nice), but I felt the idea was exciting enough to write out and share.

Many of us seem to think that the tech tree progresses too quickly in Civ6. I know personally I can achieve space race wins in Civ6 far faster than in previous versions of Civ that I have played, and I haven't really even been trying or playing it that much. It's easy enough to slow the tech pace with percentage modifying mods, but I had another idea--one that would be more dynamic and strategic and which would also help with another issue.

This other issue is the fact that a lot of the time, tech boosts become useless because you already have gotten the boost through other means. We all know the experience of popping a tech boost that we are about to achieve anyway through our careful planning, rendering that planning useless. This is not a fun aspect of the game.

But what if we had two tiers of tech boost? What if the first tech boost took you to 33%, while a second takes you to 66%? It seems this would have two effects: overall, it would slow the tech race, but at the same time, it would make tech boosts more fun and strategic, since you could plan "two boost" tactics into your overall strategy for winning.

What do you think? Is this something that has already been hashed out? To me right now it seems like an idea worth considering.

there is indeed some need to actually address the tech boost making the game going too fast.

from my point of view, the eureka should be more of a 5% research speed for each time you clear the requirement.

for example, feudalism require 6 farm to get the eureka. having 6 farms would give you 5% research speed but having 12 farms would give you 10%.

however for that to be balanced, we would need to return to the civ 5 mechanic where having a wide empire would increase the difficulty to spread new discoveries to the entirety of the empire. in other word the more cities you have the more expensive the tech would be.

in the aspect getting eureka and discoveries spreading cost could be neutralizing themselves, making some tech easier to get if you build your empire in a given direction.

tribal villages could still give you a free eureka for a given tech which would translate to just 5 % research speed.

Top Bottom