Ideas for RFC in Civ V?

Why not? Wouldn't a mini-Colonization be a fun thing both for the settlers and the American civ?
However, on second thoughts, it will not be that fun to to play as Iroquois, then ;)

Perhaps it is possible to think of a satisfying UHV to make playing them enjoyable? Anyway, take them out and I doubt a giant Aztec empire dominating both Americas will be a welcome thing.

My current point of concern is South America. There are no Incas in CiV, so to make the conquest of the New World worthwhile one must either
a) have a proper custom-made Inca civ
b) have a bunch of city stated
or
c) make the Aztec Empire play their role and settle South America, too.

Unless Rhye decides to make a whole lot of new custom-made static leaderscreen civs, having one single civ (the Incas) without a properly animated 'leaderhead' will be a bad thing.
City states may perform the function of an indigenous civilization, but they lack the personality to fashion them into an adversary fun to play against.
Making Aztecs play the role will, of course, be a travesty of History, but it will be fun to play against a 'real' opponent. I guess it will depend on how keen Rhye is on historical accuracy.

As long as there are no Spanish, we don't necessarily need the Inca to have something to be conquered.

This afternoon I loaded up some modified RFC maps, tweaked them a bit to get them closer to the original RFC maps, deleted everyone but the four starter civs, and played a few games as Egypt and Babylon [using the Ottomans instead]. I was trying to replicate the UHVs of these two civs in something like a classic environment, in order to see what elements in CiV might have to be tweaked, and where UHV conditions might change to suit the new game.

TO BE CLEAR ON THIS: These are NOT strategy guides or attempts to set records. These are just observations and suggestions made from careful but casual gameplay.

Egypt: I tried 2 games as Egypt. In the first I concentrated on getting the three UHV wonders (Pyramids, Great Library, and Great Lighthouse). These are all early builds in CiV, with the Lighthouse (which is a fairly late build in RFC) being a possible first acquisition in CiV. But I started my first city at its Niwt-Rst-like starting point and went after the other two first.

I beelined Masonry so I could get two nearby Marbles (one subbing for Stone) online and to prep the Pyramids; while researching this and other techs (Pottery and Writing for the Great Library, followed by Sailing for the Lighthouse) I built a monument and a worker. I did the monument first so I could ramp up culture (another UHV condition) and to quicken my acquisition of the Aristocracy Social Policy, which turbo-charges Egypt's already super-charged Wonder-building capacity. Results: I was able to build the Pyramids by turn 55, the Great Library by turn 68, and the Great Lighthouse on turn 96. (The latter required me to build another city.) I'm not saying this is the fastest you can get these wonders, but at least it's an indicator of what a Newbie can get done on the Prince level.

After that I concentrated on culture. I wasn't able to get the hugely cultural Stonehenge wonder, but I used the Library to snag Philosophy, which let me build culture-enhancing Burial Tombs in my two cities. Those and my culture amping Social Policies (Piety and Mandate of Heaven), plus the other wonders I built (National Epic, Hanging Gardens, Oracle) plus a monastery meant I was generating 33 culture points per turn by the time I hit turn 143. On that turn I had accumulated 1541 culture points over the course of the game; by turn 86 I had picked up 279 points.

[Note: it's a little tricky keeping track of culture points, since the number accumulated resets each time you buy a social policy. I kept track of the number that went into each policy (for instance, 25 points at the first, 45 at the second, 90 [if still one city] for the third) so that I knew that I had accumulated 160 points after taking my third policy.]

I missed a few opportunities to pick up more points, but the above gives an indication of what casual play will get you on the Prince level. In summary:

Wonders built by turns 55, 68, and 96.
Culture on turn 86: 279
Culture on turn 143: 1531

In the second game I concentrated on getting culture, and on taking Wonders second. Because the wonders come so early, I only managed to snag one UHV wonder (the Pyramids, on turn 66). I lost the Great Lighthouse on turn 72, and the Great Library on turn 73.

Thanks to an early grab of Stonehenge, though, I had picked up 422 culture points by turn 279, and around 2300 points by turn 143. thanks to those points and the Oracle, I was able to buy 9 social policies. Summary:

1 Wonder built in turn 66
Culture on turn 86: 422
Culture on turn 143: 2300

Babylon
I set Babylon down in the middle of 4 city-states, replicating the political scene of RFC. There's no flipping or wars (unless you start some), so this was only important for keeping Babylon isolated, as it typically is early in the game. It also put a bit of a premium on picking up cash so I could buy attractive tiles before the city-states got them.

There isn't really a way of replicating Babylon's tech race in CiV, since Monarchy and Code of Laws have vanished as techs, and the tree has been so pruned that Writing can easily be a tech that the other civs will chase early. The closest I could come to replicating the structure, length of research, and similarity to Monarchy and Code of Laws was to race for the too-easy Mathematics and the inappropriately medieval tech Civil Service instead.

I also couldn't tell whether I got techs first or not, so I can only report how early I got them. I also can't tell if I was number one in culture, and have only limited evidence that Babylon was the biggest city in the world on the appropriate turn. Results:

I tried to combine all aspects of Babylon's play. This meant building a monument first, to get culture going, and then a worker to farm the surrounding tiles. With early cash from meeting my neighbors I scored a dye and the marble resources and grabbed a hill. I went for Calendar first and built Stonehenge on turn 47. Thanks to this, the monument, the Temple I purchased (mostly) I was able to end turn 94 with 710 culture points. I don't see how any other civ could have beat this, since Stonehenge by itself was throwing off 8 points a turn for almost 40 turns. I had also built Babylon up to a population of 9; a scout I sent out showed that Thebes was at a 7, Delhi at a 6, and Beijing at a 6 at around this time.

I probably would have lost the tech race, though. I got Writing on turn 40, and thanks to the Great Library I got Civil Service on turn 72. But Math (a cheap, easy tech) came only on turn 91. I delayed Math because I wanted the Library for Civil Service, but had to build the Library before someone else got it. Without the Library, it would have taken me 40 turns or so to get Civil Service.

Suggestions
1. Racking up "culture points" was always just a boring way of running up numbers. I suggest changing "culture point totals" UHVs to Social Policies goals, such as completing the Tradition group or the Piety group. If the Social Policies are modded, this would also have the effect of making the civs more closely resemble their real-world counterparts. If these are made goals of Egypt and Babylon, they would also incentivize the player to keep his civ small (like the originals) so that the policies don't retreat out of reach because he's building cities.

2. Related: Babylon's "Monarchy" tech goal could be replaced by the Monarchy social policy as a "first to acquire" goal.

3. Stonehenge is way too overpowered in culture races; whoever gets it first will almost certainly win any culture-centered races like the above. It needs some different power, such as granting a free social policy, or acting as a prereq for units/buildings/etc., and have its culture output cut back to match that of other wonders.

4. Ancient/Classical tech races are weak because there are too few ancient/classical techs. I've no immediate ideas for techs that could be added, but it feels like some are wanted.

5. At least one of Egypt's wonders should be moved back later in time, to the classical era, so that they are not all clustered so early in the game. Suggest moving the Lighthouse to Optics and the Library to Education; or invent some techs that would hold these.

I always hated the tech first requiremnts anyways.

My current point of concern is South America. There are no Incas in CiV, so to make the conquest of the New World worthwhile one must either
a) have a proper custom-made Inca civ
b) have a bunch of city stated
or
c) make the Aztec Empire play their role and settle South America, too.

Unless Rhye decides to make a whole lot of new custom-made static leaderscreen civs, having one single civ (the Incas) without a properly animated 'leaderhead' will be a bad thing.
City states may perform the function of an indigenous civilization, but they lack the personality to fashion them into an adversary fun to play against.
Making Aztecs play the role will, of course, be a travesty of History, but it will be fun to play against a 'real' opponent. I guess it will depend on how keen Rhye is on historical accuracy.
>>Implying plauged archers vs musketmen and canon is a fun 'adversary' to play against.
Adversary?
You may as well just script the city acquisition in its entirety, although sometimes I just send the ships for the free units and vassal them.
City states will work fine.

Please try writing in more coherent English, I can't make head or tail of what you wanted to say.

Hey, Rhye, have you ever thought about incorporating real slavery mechanics into RFC? Something that would make civs that colonize Africa and the New World gain the immense economical boost slave labour gave them in RL.

Hey, Rhye, have you ever thought about incorporating real slavery mechanics into RFC? Something that would make civs that colonize Africa and the New World gain the immense economical boost slave labour gave them in RL.

Not only would that make the mod highly controversial also it would be a pain in the ass to micromanage no way he should do anything that realistic.

Here's an idea.

Impliment a 'colonization' button, this would be discovered at some
point in the game (after discovering a tech like... astronomy?)
Doing so would create a 'colonist' unit, that could be sent to a colony
to increase it's population, it would also reduce maintenance and would
help stability (because of course stability would be included.)
You can imagine that this would help for civs like the mongols, british,
spanish, and french.

But also, I suggest replacing those silly abilities already included.
With the good ol' "Power of" system. But to also add
ore dynamic gameplay add a "Weakness of" System as well.

Afew examples for my 'Weakness of' Idea
-----------------------------------------
Ottoman Empire - Weakness of the Sick Man
Research costs more once any
player reaches the industrial era.

England - Weakness of the Army
Land units cost twice when player reaches the renaissance.

Japan - Weakness of Seppuku
Japanese units cannot use promotions to heal themselves.
-----------------------------------------
And so on.

Did you read Soren Johnson's epilogue to the Civ4 manual? He gives a good explanation on why negative gameplay aspects are bad game design in most cases.

Not only would that make the mod highly controversial also it would be a pain in the ass to micromanage no way he should do anything that realistic.
There's absolutely no need to make it completely obvious (like, I don't know, a new "Slaves" resource or something). A simple production boost for Western India colonies (to represent the cheap slave labour in sugar plantations, etc) might be fine, offset with bigger pre-emancipation unhappiness might be a good start. The thing is, colonies were far more beneficial economically than "simply having a dozen of new cities elsewhere".

There's absolutely no need to make it completely obvious (like, I don't know, a new "Slaves" resource or something). A simple production boost for Western India colonies (to represent the cheap slave labour in sugar plantations, etc) might be fine, offset with bigger pre-emancipation unhappiness might be a good start. The thing is, colonies were far more beneficial economically than "simply having a dozen of new cities elsewhere".

It is quite controversial implying that slave labour was more efficient than paid labour.
I thought that the economic benefits would mostly be represented through the more exotic luxury resources the cities provide and which can be traded with non-colonial nations.

It's worth bearing in mind that colonies in the New World and Africa will probably be a lot more valuable in RFC for Civ 5 than Civ 4, because luxury resources are now so much more important for growth. A production boost might not be necessary, from a gameplay POV, to make places like the Caribbean desirable locations for colonies.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but slavery didn't play a large role in the colonisation of Africa itself, did it? Formal colonisation (i.e. annexation of territory and significant settlement by Europeans) didn't start until the Scramble for Africa in the late 19th century, long after the abolition of the Atlantic slave trade. So it wouldn't be historical for the European civs to be settling cities in West Africa to get a new "slaves" resources.

It is quite controversial implying that slave labour was more efficient than paid labour.
I thought that the economic benefits would mostly be represented through the more exotic luxury resources the cities provide and which can be traded with non-colonial nations.
It wasn't more efficient, it was virtually free (or quite cheap). But it certainly was more than a simple abundance of luxury resources would represent - it was a cheaper way of exploiting them. Unfortunately, CiV mechanics require no effort of actually 'working' luxury tiles to exploit the resources, so having regular or cheap labour has no direct equivalent in these terms. Still, an extra free citizen (restricted, perhaps, to working luxury tiles, if that's possible, and producing no beakers) would be good. Or faster improvement building speeds instead. Or cheaper Workers.

There's a RL historical factor I think RFC really lacks. The crossroads of civilizations idea. I mean lots of historical civs sprung up and flourished because they got themselves neatly on one of the major trading routes.

Now CiV lacks (foreign) trade routes altogether, which I think is itself a pity. But if it had, I think it might have been a nice feature of RFC V to let cities benefit from trade between various civs. Now that roads are a prerequisite and they have a maintenance, reintroducing foregn trade would inevitably lead to a limited number of fixed inter-civ trade routed. Like miniature (or perhaps not) Silk Roads. All it would take is to let cities along them get revenues from the amount of trade that goes through.

I think the culture system needs to be revamped, I like how it works from a gameplay perspective but I think for RFC large civs need to be able to buy policies as well (How else will Russia become communist?).

How about giving it another go?

I, for example, have come to the conclusion that a 'slave-based economy boost' for the colonies (in form of, say, a free Worker for each city founded) would be very nice and realistic indeed.

Top Bottom