If the game is so moddable, why debate?

wotan321

Emperor
I am not against debate on preferences, features, expectations, etc.... but from what I have heard, this game is going to be so changable, that within a few months if not days of the game's release, all the wants of new leaders, new function of religion, number of civs, etc, will be available via mods.

The modablility of this version of Civ is the most exciting aspect of it. I can't wait to see what all the great scenario and mod makers from Civ3 will do with all the potential of Civ4.

So we can continue to discuss our worries and preferences, keeping in mind that we will be able to take out what disturbs us, and add in what we want. The only real limitation will the power of your PC in fulfilling what you ask it to do.

The only real limitation will the power of your PC in fulfilling what you ask it to do...and your actual ability to mod stuff. Believe it or not, some people are not good at XML, Python, and C++ and don't want to learn it either.

If the game is so moddable, why debate?
Cause:

#1- We are buying the game and want to be able to play a good game right out of the box
#2 Cause they are selling a game they promote as complete, without any required work. If they left major or minor segments up to the players, they would not be selling a complete work. If they were selling the game as a Civ Modification tool, it would be completely different.
#3 They are programers putting together a computer program that can be PLAYED.
#4 WE ARE NOT programers (few exceptions) and many will never mod civ.
#5 There are still limitations due to how they set up the game. This is out of my sphere of knowledge, talk with someone who knows this stuff.

warpstorm said:
your actual ability to mod stuff. Believe it or not, some people are not good at XML, Python, and C++ and don't want to learn it either.
And what is also important is how much time it takes to add them all, in order to play the game in a way the player wants.

I will surely mod the game, there's no doubt about it if it just isn't too difficult but at the same time if the game is totally different from what I would like it to be more and more work it will take in order to it to be like.

Of course things like "wandering animals" which I moaned also about (which for me are a joke) should be easy to erase.

Also debating about these things will also give ideas to others what kind of modding they would want to see so we can benefit from each others ideas. Also it works as redebate for the improvements into expansions and Civ V.

So debate isn't useless, it's almost necessary.

So debate isn't useless, it's almost necessary.

Excellent point Sickman. I agree with all these responses. I think the debate and discussion is great, it will improve the game. I am sure Firaxis is thrilled to see all the ideas being tossed about.

Certainly the ability to edit in the different tools will take some practice, but it seems to me that since these languages already exist, learning will be much easier. In civ3 it took modders to write the documentation on how to change leaderheads, edit units, and other ways of modding. There will be much less backward engineering of the game, this time around because the mechanics and rules of the modding languages are well documented.

Modding isn't for everyone, but I get the feeling it will be easier now, with more options, and more potential.

And I don't think debate and discussion should cease. I am just not worried about some part of the game being hard-coded and unchangable, as has been the case in earlier incarnations of the game.

"You may be a cunning linguist, but I'm a master debater; a-thank-you."

Sorry I couldn't resist, I watched Goldmember last night.

But back to the topic, I'm still playing vanilla civ3 and to this day I still haven't downloaded a single patch for it. I'd like the game to be as high quality, complete and bug free as possible out of the box because that will probably be the only version I'll ever play. If religion is an option that is.

Modding is irrelevant. There are two big reasons why we want the game to work well by default:

1. The game should work out of box as-is. Modding is an optional enhancement, not a patch tool. It's what most people will be playing.

2. Interoperability. Unless you play the game in an isolated room, you want to see everyone play the same game as you do. How do you share strategies if everyone is playing a different game? Not even mentioning Succession Games and Multiplayer.

So forget about modding. The game should just work.

microbe said:
Modding is irrelevant. There are two big reasons why we want the game to work well by default:

1. The game should work out of box as-is. Modding is an optional enhancement, not a patch tool.

2. Interoperability. Unless you play the game in an isolated room, you want to see everyone play the same game as you do. How do you share strategies if everyone is playing a different game? Not even mentioning Succession Games and Multiplayer.

So forget about modding. The game should just work.

I agree with point #1, but take issue with #2.
I am betting by Feb/March 2006 there will be MANY, MANY mods/patches put out by forum members.
I will be deep into the code as soon as I get the game.
But we have that happening today, and people adapt well. If you play a PBEM game, it is understood all players have the same official patch level, and also playing precisely the same version of a scenario, like WW-Global 1.7, or TCW 1.4, or the many TOS versions.

So what will happen, I am guessing, is that a few Mod's will rise to the surface as the best out there. I can further envision sub-threads being created, one for each of the Mod's. Some would call this chaos. I would call this diversity, and growth, and interesting.

I think after the experience of Civ3's initial bugginess, Civ fans are wary of an incomplete game. That is not unexpected.

I don't think anyone is advocating Firaxis release a buggy game.... though that seems to be the focus here...

And its understood that many people never use mods or scenarios.... that is just fine, I don't think anyone has suggested that players should be FORCED to do that, out of the box. But I suspect in a few months after the game is released, a hundred simple mods will be online, to pick and choose from, like a buffet-line of adapatability. Download the .zip file, run it, ka-ching, new game dynamic. No confusion. Even today, there are still debates on the mechanics of how Civ3 works and how modding changes things. With the new game, its gonna be much simpler.

For those of you who dispair the idea of "wandering animals", it can be modded to be "wandering cheerleaders", or "wandering tele-marketers". Since the game is so standardized on these long-established languages, changes will be simple and straight-forward.

wotan321 said:
Download the .zip file, run it, ka-ching, new game dynamic.

Be very, very careful with this. Only run mods from people you trust as Python allows malicious scripts. Even moreso, the dlls from the AI SDK can do ANYTHING to your system. At least with the Python you can see the source code.

Off topic, we need a screening system and a trusted library of mods under this scheme.

I_batman said:
But we have that happening today, and people adapt well. If you play a PBEM game, it is understood all players have the same official patch level.

The key word is OFFICIAL. If it's released by Farixis, it's expected that most people will download and install them.

So what will happen, I am guessing, is that a few Mod's will rise to the surface as the best out there.

I don't see it's happening in CIV3, and I don't expect it to change in CIV4.

The only mod that is kinda popular in CIV3 SG forum is RaR, and people now start to play it more not because it's better than the vanilla, but because people have got bored of vanilla and want something new.

It helps to keep some perspective.

1. If someone is whining about some minor feature that can be tweaked in two minutes via modding, then they are answered by modding. This is especially true since such whines are usually subjective and fail to take into account that the whiner "getting his way" in the official version will just make someone else need to mod.

2. Then there are the class of things that are so basic to the game play that they just need to work, right out of the box. I'm pretty sure that the vast majority in this class will work just fine--but there will probably be an item or three with some unforeseen difficulty. No matter how much or how long Firaxis and the Beta guys hit it, they aren't 100,000 fans.

3. Then there are the things where Firaxis does the best they can, and it's adequate, but the fans will come up with something somewhat better eventually. Everything can be improved, and Civ4 is not exempt. This is not Firaxis' fault. In fact, it's much to their credit to design something that can be so improved.

4. And finally there might be some outright ugly bugs that linger past the first patch. It happens. :D

"Mod it" is a good answer to #1 and #3. In fact, it's the only real answer to either if someone cares about what people want.

Mods might "fix" things in #2 and #4, but that's just a happy accident.

warpstorm said:
...Python allows malicious scripts. Even moreso, the dlls from the AI SDK can do ANYTHING to your system. At least with the Python you can see the source code.
That's no small claim you're making there. This could be a big problem. What do they say about it at Firaxis?

(Considering how chaotic the modding community is for Civ3--there's like a new scen posted every f-ing day!--the idea of a screening process for mods could clean things up a bit but it could also lead to complications like, how complex does a mod have to be to merit being looked over by fansite staff? What happens if modding becomes incredibly popular (due to the the high degree of modability) and there's a an overwhelming number of scens waiting to be screened?

Modding Civ3 is already a tedious process but outside of modding flcs, it's not so bad (unless you have to write out hundreds of civlopedia descriptions for a massive scen as is the case with me at present). Of course gameplay (i.e. the part where you've already modded everything and have to get down to actually working out map placement, appropriate values and put in hours of testing, etc.) is another matter. This is mainly because nobody really knows the internal workings of Civ3 except the people who actually designed the program, so the modder really has very little clue as to how the AI, for instance, will respond to the modded aspects of the game.

Civ4 will (supposedly) eliminate this problem.

But it introduces another problem: now there's TOO MUCH to mod! Designing a fully modded scen (i.e. one that makes full use of all this flexibility) will require HUGE amounts of time. This would seem to contradict the direction the vanilla game is taking (i.e. simplification). Modding Civ will go from an interesting bit of tweaking to a programming nightmare. I haven't actually created a single full scen for Civ3 because of time constraints; I have to resign myself to helping others with their stuff or just mess around with the game for fun (granted, another reason I don't mod much is that I'm afraid of running out into the street in a rage and slaughtering some innocent civilian(s) after having spent hours testing the stupid Civ3 AI only to end up at square one when what I thought worked doesn't).

Don't get me wrong: I wished for this and I definitely don't regret getting what I wished for, but I--like most people who are out of high school or retired--also don't have much time to do this stuff. If it's just as is, without intermediate programs to facilitate and speed-up the process, hard-core modding will be inaccessable even to those who have the ability to do so.

...Well, I suppose programmers in the modding community will come up something (it's just that a lot of stuff tends to be buggy).

Oh, I think someone mentioned that the modability of Civ4 is for player benefit (or something along those lines). To this I say: nothing in life is free; if it's there it means it was cheaper for the creators of the game to leave it in. The only thing done for the players is that fact that they didn't decide to hard-code everything upon completion so as to avoid few headaches (according to Firaxis spokespeople at least).

warpstorm said:
Off topic, we need a screening system and a trusted library of mods under this scheme.
Someone could easily make you install a virus if you try and install almost any Civ3 mod. Yet this has never happened. I don't expect it will be any diffrant then with Civ4.

yoshi said:
That's no small claim you're making there. This could be a big problem. What do they say about it at Firaxis?

I told them about it a loooong time ago (when I first heard that they were going the Python route). There really isn't anything they can do about it. It's the nature of the beast. If you allow the players to compile and run DLLs, you give them the ability to hit up the operating system in any fashion they desire.

And don't they also do this kind of stuff with FPS? Has anyone any information stolen whille playing Counter Strike?

vbraun said:
Someone could easily make you install a virus if you try and install almost any Civ3 mod. Yet this has never happened. I don't expect it will be any diffrant then with Civ4.

Yes if you download an installer, but not if it's a zip which you just unpack. The civ3 mods have no executables.

Top Bottom