If you play vanilla along with/instead of Vox Populi, why?

I'm playing the game with its expansion packs, not "Vanilla", but I have not added any mods. The main reason is I'm spreading my time in other games in the Civ franchise, such as Civ BERT, Civ IV (to swap stories with my daughter's boyfriend), and Civ III for old times sake. What's the attraction for Vox Populi over BNW?

I feel like I haven't actually enjoy every bit of the game that i bought yet, and achievement hunting.

It is one of those things where when people seem really evangelical about something but don't seem to explain why that thing is so great I tend to not to be all that enthusiastic about wading into those waters. Maybe I saw the movie "The Stuff" too many times as a kid.

I've started some games with it and for whatever reason lost interest pretty quickly. I peeked at the forum and got the impression that there are issues with getting a game to play to the end, which sounds like a drag. So maybe at some point I'll try it again.

Vox Populi is described in this forum thread, correct? https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/community-patch-how-to-install.528034/

Over in the Civ IV forums, they settled on the BUG mod (or its relatives) as the "standard" for a quality experience playing the game. All of the serious Civ IV players use it, and new players are advised to download it. BUG = Beyond the Sword Unaltered Gameplay, which is a crucial difference.

@Tradlib are you saying that Vox Populi serves a similar role in the Civ V universe? Is it used by the folks who give advise on the strategy forums, and by those who write strategy articles? I could certainly see benefits in the "Community Patch" portion, where bugs left unfixed are addressed. What are some of those painful bugs that CP (and by extension, VP) fixed?

Vox Populi is described in this forum thread, correct? https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/community-patch-how-to-install.528034/

Over in the Civ IV forums, they settled on the BUG mod (or its relatives) as the "standard" for a quality experience playing the game. All of the serious Civ IV players use it, and new players are advised to download it. BUG = Beyond the Sword Unaltered Gameplay, which is a crucial difference.

@Tradlib are you saying that Vox Populi serves a similar role in the Civ V universe? Is it used by the folks who give advise on the strategy forums, and by those who write strategy articles? I could certainly see benefits in the "Community Patch" portion, where bugs left unfixed are addressed. What are some of those painful bugs that CP (and by extension, VP) fixed?
Trad made another thread in the VP forum where the significantly more active VP players explained much of it. https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...it-really-a-completely-different-game.658844/

As CP only players are about as active on discussion as unmodded players if not less so, I'd say VP is the definitive experience, although it's so different from vanilla that I completely lost interest in playing Civ outside of it... Along with turn-based games in general as I seem to have burned myself off them hard after so much time in VP. Doesn't help that AI of any quality is such a rarity (which is the main thing about the patch. Plenty of bugs still hound the project despite constant fixing over the years. Specifics are moot at this point unless you're a modder I suppose).

Oh and the problem people have with finishing games stems from Civ5 being 32bit. Best to not use memory heavy mods such as RED, especially on bigger maps. Otherwise it's very much possible to finish games on a VP only install.

Last edited:
I was hesitant to play Vox when it first came out several years ago. It seemed to have too many features that were worth my time.
But now that I have played Civ 6 for awhile, which feels a little bloated itself, I'm willing to go back and give Vox another more serious look.

Been years since I started playing, but if memory serves, the vanilla game doesn't give all the helpful end of turn notifications. I think Vox added that...or one of the mods. That, in itself, is enough reason for me. It's all I'm used to now, but it improves the game 1000 fold.

Top Bottom