Improving Great People

I've said this before. What I want is a pool of Great People, similar to City-States. E.g. 5 Great Scientists for the Industrial Era. At game start, the game selects 3 from those 5.

So each game you never know what combination of each type of Great People you're getting for each age.

Are there any possible Great Musicians, based off of rock and roll, that wouldn't be under copyright?
Rock and roll started in the 50s so I would expect the answer would be no. Maybe some early rockabilly music would be public domain?

I've said this before. What I want is a pool of Great People, similar to City-States. E.g. 5 Great Scientists for the Industrial Era. At game start, the game selects 3 from those 5.

So each game you never know what combination of each type of Great People you're getting for each age.

I'd like to see this increase in great people, but I don't think it's necessary to cap the number appearing in a game. Often, three or fewer great people will be earned per era, in which case the distinction is irrelevant. If they're being earned faster than that, though, I'd rather have more available from the same era than have to worry about what cost mechanics are used for "ahead of time" great people. I don't think the limit of three great people per era was always an arbitrary constraint, based on the number of great people the developers created, rather than a deliberate balancing mechanic. I suppose I could see this making the late game great people a bit too hard to reach, nut if so, I think that's an issue with how the game eras are calibrated, rather than an issue with great person mechanics per se.

Regarding Great Prophets, I personally don't have a problem with the way they work now. Yes, they all do the same thing, but since that thing involves so many choices, I've always thought that the process itself provides enough variety. And since founding a religion is such a pivotal moment, it could be hard for a side or alternate bonus not to feel like a distraction. I also think there's a lot to be said for the approach of not tying real world religions to specific mechanical benefits, though I suppose the worship buildings already break this rule a bit. Maybe there are possibilities I'm missing though. This is an area where I'm happy enough with the current mechanics that I haven't thought all that much about alternatives.

All I have to say is that Stephen Hawking should be in the game, he was one of the greatest scientists sense Einstein.

Top Bottom