Improving Naval Units

There should be more Naval Units and they should act more like the Combat system of the land units, The Rock/Paper/Scissors style

Eg - Spearmen beats Chariot, Chariot Beats Axemen, Axemen Beats Spearmen.

It should be more like this in the Navy especially in the early Ancient Ages where there's only 2 Ships, Gallies and Trireme.

Basically If you want to rule the Seas in the Ancient Age on an Archipellago map all you have to do is get circum-navigation and mass produce triremes, they have no counters. I believe all navy Units in their Age should have counters.

Currently in the Civ4 Game there are no counters from One Navy Unit to another except for Strenght and for a Trireme having 50% over Gallies.

Sea Warfare should be similar to land warfare on Civ4

This is just an Example but it should be something like

Battleship has an advantage over Destroyers, Destroyers have an Advantage over Submarine, Submarine has an advantage over Battleships.

It would make Civ4 Sea warfare much more interesting and flexible.

More Ships should be added in the Ancient, middle and Industrial age to peoperly use and balance out this Combat System for the navy.

Maybe also add a Navy Unit capable of collateral damage to prevent Navy SODs, I know Battleships can do collateral damage but it should be avaliable in an early age.

I will not go into the details of naval history since that will go off topic - the topic is how to improve the role of naval units in the game. While it's nice to have historical accuracy, not everything should have a historical implementation due to balance issues. In the case of your idea, not building a navy will put a civ at a double disadvantage - very little overseas trade (it will be plundered) and free gold/commerce for its opponenets. This seems to be unbalanced to me. What I've proposed - a deliberately rough approximation of what actually took place - only puts navyless civs at a single disadvantage and allows them to overcome it through diplomacy (open borders).

In my idea, privateers pillaging merchant shipping wouldnt gain anything for the pillager; the victim only would be deprived of his money. However if the the civs are at war then the pillager would be able to claim the pillaged money. Plus when the trade is pillaged it will be little more than 2-8 pieces of gold, which is the average of what a trade route is worth.

There should be more Naval Units and they should act more like the Combat system of the land units, The Rock/Paper/Scissors style

Eg - Spearmen beats Chariot, Chariot Beats Axemen, Axemen Beats Spearmen.

It should be more like this in the Navy especially in the early Ancient Ages where there's only 2 Ships, Gallies and Trireme.

Basically If you want to rule the Seas in the Ancient Age on an Archipellago map all you have to do is get circum-navigation and mass produce triremes, they have no counters. I believe all navy Units in their Age should have counters.

Currently in the Civ4 Game there are no counters from One Navy Unit to another except for Strenght and for a Trireme having 50% over Gallies.

Sea Warfare should be similar to land warfare on Civ4

This is just an Example but it should be something like

Battleship has an advantage over Destroyers, Destroyers have an Advantage over Submarine, Submarine has an advantage over Battleships.

It would make Civ4 Sea warfare much more interesting and flexible.

More Ships should be added in the Ancient, middle and Industrial age to peoperly use and balance out this Combat System for the navy.

Maybe also add a Navy Unit capable of collateral damage to prevent Navy SODs, I know Battleships can do collateral damage but it should be avaliable in an early age.

I agree

Top Bottom