Interesting bug allows super sized cities

twilightDD

Chieftain
Hello everyone!

I always wondered if and how you can get a city larger than the known limit of 63.

Well, when generating the map I got a - at least for me - special situation. At the top of the map, several fields were generated at the "end of the world". Some of them seem special.

When I colonized this part of the map, two cities received a lot of resources, which very quickly made these cities exceed the size of 63. Here are some screenshots.

From the size of 128, however, there was apparently an integer overflow, so that in the following round one city had a size of -127 (shown as -1). But still: 82,560,000 inhabitants in one city. Yeah!
Another disadvantage is that the pollution is very high due to the high production and I have to keep several settlers on hand to clean it.

In addition, there are occasional graphic errors in this area.

Best regards, Peter

Attachments

• civil1.png
    civil1.png
    564.3 KB · Views: 74
  • civil2.png
    civil2.png
    368.8 KB · Views: 70
  • civil3.png
    civil3.png
    223 KB · Views: 63
  • civil4.peg.jpg
    civil4.peg.jpg
    499.5 KB · Views: 61
  • civil5.png
    civil5.png
    564.4 KB · Views: 71
Welcome to the civ 1 forum! What you describe sounds like the known 'arctic anomaly' bug, although I've never heard of it happening on map generation before! That one normally triggers if there are too many wonders to display on the score screen, see here

Game do not wrap the world properly on the city screen. So if you somehow have found a city in the last two or in the first too vertical lines of world map, you will get garbage (most likely garbage, very rarely normal) terrain from "neighborous" world maps. Then game reads some wrong place from memory according to index of this "terrain". The thing is, game do not generate any land areas at these last lines, so normally it is not possible to found a city here. In .01 you can found cities at the poles, so this bug can happen in .01, because pole icecaps cover all longitudes. On non-edited map, in .05 version of the game this bug can happen only on Earth map (last vertical line of Australia and 1 tile in Alaska).

Last edited:
Top Bottom