Introduction and some thoughts on the game

Astennu

Warlord
Hi guys,

Been lurking for a while and thought it was time to officially join the interesting discussion here.

I first played Civ 1 when I was about 10-11 years old, then Civ 2 shortly after. Not sure what happened after that exactly however I never played 3 or 4, think I got sidetracked with RTS and RPG games. Civ 5 has been my introduction to the series and I'm pretty addicted.

I've been playing G & K mostly however I moved to BNW recently and absolutely love it. I generally play on Immortal however I've been testing the waters in BNW on lower difficulties to get a feel for the game. By the way I personally think there seems to be a very large gap in difficulty between Emperor and Immortal. I'm pretty confident 99.9% of the time that I'll win an Emperor game, but this is reduced drastically for Immortal.

Anyways, one of my first concerns is the impracticality of warmongering. I have noted several very good arguments which note that you can no longer warmonger to the exclusion of everything else. That being said, in a recent Zulu Emperor game I utilised that Civs extremely powerful warmongering attributes to subjugate my nearest neighbours early to mid game. However by the Industrial Era I found it more feasible to simply switch to SV since I was #1 science.

Capturing enemy cities was creating way too much of a happiness drain and it was simply much much easier to tech along and build a spaceship rather than go through the hassle of waging war. Part of this may be due to the fact that I've never played on Pangea maps and focus on continents or fractal, hence creating a watery divide between myself and alot of my enemies. Please note that I don't have a problem with the warmonger penalties etc in BNW, I'm just curious if anyone else has had a similar experience?

Furthermore I seem to be addicted to four city Tradition starts. Growth is so important and I can't seem to find many situations where having more but smaller cities would be an improvement. I'm also someone who cannot play a game without a religion, hence the wonder building bonus from Tradition is crucial for Stonehenge, especially on immortal. Of course having a desert start or finding a Religious CS early can also lead you to find a religion, however they will not be available all the time.

As an extra point on religion, I have practically taken Tithe and Religious Community every game I have played. Tithe almost seems to be a no brainer as a recent thread implied. As for RC, I find an eventual 15% production for everything in each of my cities too good to pass up. This might be because I have always gravitated towards science victories in most games as I found Cultural in Vanilla and G & K a bit dull, and rarely pursued Domination for the reasons above.

To summarize my thoughts, has anyone had a similar "addiction" and broken out of it? With the Consulates nerf I've had alot of fun pursuing Piety or Aesthetics before inevitably picking Rationalism, however I have only done this at easier difficulty levels than I'm use to.

On a final note I'd like to commend Firaxis for the new revamped Cultural Victory. Collecting your own artifacts and great works to generate culture rather than static buildings alongside the Tourism mechanic is extremely fun and I think I will very likely start pursuing CV more since I just love using Great People, Archaeologists and Theming Bonuses. I'd very much like to try using France for my next CV game since I liked them before BNW (in part due to their awesome colour scheme) however I have not seen them highly regarded since the new expansion. Do many here regard City of Lights a weak ability?

Anyway, that is my rambling done for now. Sorry for the long winded post but I've had alot to think about throughout my playing and have had little time to post. My future threads should be a fair bit more succinct.:)

Peace \m/

I tend to find the opposite; however, I don't really play Immortal/Emperor much, usually stick to King/Prince because I prefer to concentrate on building an empire over fighting an uphill battle against AI advantages.

On these lower difficulties, Domination is by far the easiest victory condition - even if I don't out-tech my opponents, I still have 3-4x the "pointy stick" rating from amount and experience of my units. While carving my way to an empire's capital may be a bit tedious, it's no more so - and far more expedient - than all those turns it'll take to get a SV/CV... and less costly than a DV (I can usually achieve a DV before the UN is founded, much less the Apollo program researched).

Part of your problem might be KEEPING cities you capture... I tend to raze most cities I conquer (I'd do the same to their pathetic capitals if I could find the flag that allows it for OCC). If I run low on happiness, I'll slow my progress until some of the other finish burning to the ground.

AI's idea of proper city placement seldom meshes with mine and after 15ish cities of my own, I don't really need the AI's captured cities to remain dominant. I might settle a new one in the wake of my wars, but more often I leave the no-man's land for barbarians to deal with the missionary spam or otherwise harass the AI.

I tend to find the opposite; however, I don't really play Immortal/Emperor much, usually stick to King/Prince because I prefer to concentrate on building an empire over fighting an uphill battle against AI advantages.

On these lower difficulties, Domination is by far the easiest victory condition - even if I don't out-tech my opponents, I still have 3-4x the "pointy stick" rating from amount and experience of my units. While carving my way to an empire's capital may be a bit tedious, it's no more so - and far more expedient - than all those turns it'll take to get a SV/CV... and less costly than a DV (I can usually achieve a DV before the UN is founded, much less the Apollo program researched).

Part of your problem might be KEEPING cities you capture... I tend to raze most cities I conquer (I'd do the same to their pathetic capitals if I could find the flag that allows it for OCC). If I run low on happiness, I'll slow my progress until some of the other finish burning to the ground.

AI's idea of proper city placement seldom meshes with mine and after 15ish cities of my own, I don't really need the AI's captured cities to remain dominant. I might settle a new one in the wake of my wars, but more often I leave the no-man's land for barbarians to deal with the missionary spam or otherwise harass the AI.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I admit that I was initially reluctant to raze or sell cities, but I'm doing so increasingly more to avoid massive unhappiness during wars. It it still annoying to see new cities pop up to replace the razed ones.

I'm thinking that playing on Fractal or Pangea maps with 8 or so players would allow for a much smoother Domination Victory, as the 10+ Continent games get a bit tedious.

In any case I usually wage war even when pursuing peaceful victory conditions. In my recent game as France I found myself being surrounded by Bismarck (probably my arch nemesis in Civ) who was swallowing up all the civs around me. He had me beat in everything demographically except science, however he would soon catch up there if left unchecked. Hence I started a small invasion with bombers, rocket artillery and Mech Inf (which worked well vs his Panzers) and gradually captured enough of his Empire to block any chance of Victory for him.

Top Bottom