1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Introduction Monologue

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Noel11, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Noel11

Noel11 Chieftain

Everytime that i start a new game there is the introduction monologue about the civ that i chose, and the game won't load or start until it is finished. Is there any way to skip it? I tried renaming them, but then the game will just stay silent for the time that the monologue would have played and i have to wait the same time. What can i do about this? Please help! Thanks in advance!

2. BjoernLars

BjoernLars Warlord

I hit 'Esc' to make it stop, but usually it doesn't stop until I get the son sits down. If I exit out and load again, it will stop before the old man stops talking.

I think Civ 5 just takes a long time to load. If your computer is a bit old, it may take the entire video to load up.

3. eazyseeker

eazyseeker Warlord

He's not talking about the introduction video (which actually CAN be disabled very easily), he's talking about dawn of man quotes. It's not the dawn of man quotes that have to load, it's the game... removing them would do nothing. It's selecting a smaller map/fewer civs that speeds up the process.

4. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

You can actually cut out the intro video entirely from the game settings.

The Civ specific monologue is used to hide the load time/system settingup/loading etc.

Depending on your computer the monologue will be finished and you may still be loading.

5. Noel11

Noel11 Chieftain

Thanks for the fast replies. I will have to wait then, at least i will learn something about the civilizations :)

6. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Yeah, it's not there to waste your time, it's giving you something to listen to while it loads. The Dawn of Man speeches usually only last slightly longer than the load time (and you can hit Start Game before it's finished). Really, I think people need to accept this game has long load times and then just decide if they'd rather have something to listen to during this time or stare at a blank screen or a usually unhelpful loading bar.

7. Shurdus

Shurdus Am I Napoleon?

Welcome to civfanatics, Noel11! :beer:

8. Poomermon

Poomermon Warlord

I usually tab out and surf the web (civfanatics for example) while the map loads.

9. Cheeseisgood

Cheeseisgood Warlord

Civ likes to hide it's loading bars. You'll probably have noticed that with the unskippable-until-about-halfway-through movie when you load the game. This is another instance of it, so just sit tight, alt tab or go get a drink while he talks away at you. The game is loading. :)

10. chgrogers

chgrogers Prince

I haven't seen the movie in over 6 months. I renamed the intro movie so it doesn't load and it will be a black screen for approx 15 sec.

11. snarzberry

snarzberry Emperor

Yeah same it put me on life tilt after the first week lol.

Documents - My Games - Civ 5 - User Settings - Then change the value on SkipIntroVideo from a 0 to a 1

You'll get a black loading screen instead.

EDIT - You might be talking about the 'Greetings Alexander...' type introduction when you start a game. I just set 'speech' to 0 volume in the audio game options as I don't like hearing the guys voice at all. That makes the intro silent.