Iron Bug?

Yarlen

Chieftain
I'm not sure why, but the last 7 games of Civ3 I've started, none of them have contained any iron resources. I've colonized most of the map, checked out other civs, and no iron anywhere. Is this a bug or what?

- Yarlen

Dont you have to be able to use it before it shows up on the map? Not sure on that, but I have noticed the same types of thing with various other resources.

You have to have discovered iron working before it appears on the map. Do you know what it looks like? Maybe you're looking right at it and don't realize it? Just a guess anyway. Here's a shot of some iron...

Attachments

• iron.jpg
    iron.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 446
yeah I forgot that it looks like Gems kinda...

...more that anything else. In my last game I played until about 1973 before I finally quit. It was on a huge map and there were 3 civs, but only one of them had the single source for coal! ONE source of coal on the entire planet for every civ to share. I had six different luxuries (3 extra), 3 oil resources (exclusive to me), 2 rubber and 2 saltpeter with tons of money. Yet I couldn't trade one scrap of anything for that coal because they didn't have any extra. No railroads, no automobiles, no tanks... no fun for anybody. We just all sat there building up our civs incapable of doing anything except moving infantry around at 1/3 movement on roads (Well, I had calvary so I had slight advantage).

This isn't really a bug actually. It's poor design and rushed testing. I just hope they don't rush out a patch! I've stopped playing the game for the time-being because it gets a bit tedious right now trying to build a civ without resources for any Civ to get an advantage. The fun has drifted out of it. But I will take the day off of work the day the patch comes out.

Dear Firaxis,

Please take your time with the Patch!
Sincerely,

Flak
:egypt:

coal: only vital for building railroad and factory.
Tanks, mech.infantry, battleships, destroyers and most fun stuff of the modern age don't require coal, but oil. If you don't have oil or rubber, then you're really in trouble.
Stop complaining about lack of coal and complain about lack of oil(or rubber) dammit.

ONE source of coal on the entire planet for every civ to share.

How do you guys do this? I´m playing my first game now (got Civ yesterday) on a standard map and there is plenty of resources! 8 each of oil, coal, rubber and all other.

To me the game works just fine.

According to what I heard from the guy who did the AI from Firaxis, there is always at least one of each strategic resource per civilization placed on the map. I have noticed that coal is a difficult resource to see on the map (especially when it's in a jungle), and I wonder if people just aren't seeing it.

I have to say that I disagree that coal isn't an important resource. It isn't really needed for any great military units, but the railroad is one of the more important things you can add to your map. I still think that allowing units unlimited moves on railroads is a bit unrealistic, but I love being able to do it.

tdp

I found myself stuck on a moderate size continent in my first game this weekend with no iron. However, a short while (maybe 10 or 20 turns) after developing iron working, I got a message that iron had been discovered in one of my squares - it was a hill square I had mined.

It says somewhere in either the manual or the FAQ on civ3.com that there is a chance a strategic resource will be discovered in a square that you are working with a city resident. I guess this is some kind of balancing mechanism?

So, try working squares that typically contain the resource you need, that might help.

There were a fair few horse squares on my continent, and when I developed gunpowder later in the same game, saltpetre appeared in two desert squares on my continent. I haven't reached oil or rubber yet...

Ralph.

I haven't tried this but I've read about it. You can increase the Natural Resources Appearance Ratio in the editor. (Make sure to backup your civ3mod.bic first). The number is a ratio:

number of resources/number of civs appearing= %

The number you can change is the %. Setting the % equal to 200 and playing with 6 civs would give 12 of each.

In Theory!:D

In my last game I had terrible luck with resources.
Iron Working: 2 Iron sources appears in my territory. 1 exhausted. 1 more appears. The other exhausted. For a total of 1 Iron throughout the game.
Gun Powder: 2 Sources of saltpeter. 1 exhausts.
Steam Power: No coal in my territory. All coal in the game appears in a cluster controlled by the Chinese.
Refining: 3 sources of oil appear. All 3 exhaust before I get a good chance to use them.
Replaceable parts: 3 sources of rubber. I guess this stuff never goes away.
Rocketry: 1 sources of Aluminum. It exhausts.
Fission: No uranium in my territory.
I wanted to win by Space race. To do so I would have needed to get into a war with someone to get the proper resource since I was so far ahead in tech with everybody. Of course by the time I would have captured a city next to what I needed, I wouldn’t have the years left to build :(

Originally posted by Flak
In my last game I played until about 1973 before I finally quit. It was on a huge map and there were 3 civs, but only one of them had the single source for coal! ONE source of coal on the entire planet for every civ to share. xxxxx

This isn't really a bug actually. It's poor design and rushed testing

Poor design and rushed testing? I actually think Firaxis has done a great job.

I love the way the new resources make you work harder and think through your strategies better. It can totally change your strategy from a peace-loving civ to having to go to war to get the oil (or whatever).

Flak, I think you are wrong on this one. I have played about 10 games or so and have never had less than adequate resources. That means at least 1 per civ. I would bet that you just missed it. Could you see the whole map? Maybe the AI had the coal but didn't build a road to it. That would mean they couldn't/wouldn't trade it to you.

Too many people have complained about something before they understand the game. My bet is that was enough coal on the map, you just didn't see it.

I agree that coal is the hardest to see on the map.

I play a Monopolization of Resources strategy. If I see the resource I send a settler over to get it through a city. I use a city instead of a worker/colony because cities are safer than colonies.
I own all the Rubber except one (The Amercans who own the other can't use it yet) And I own all the Oil. :egypt: (I guess I'm my own little OPEC)

I do the same strategy with luxury resources as well.

It should be easier to spot each of the resource types. A pretty minor thing overall, but still a pain in the @$$. I hate having to clean the map and go over each continent and having to be very carefull because some of the resources (coal and saltpeter are two of the hardest, depending on the terrain type) are sooooo hard to find.

There should definately be a Find Next Resource option.

I too love scarcity, it adds an interest factor. In a recent game I did not have coal or uranium. I planned on taking a transport over to England and getting a city of theirs near the coast, that had coal. I was in a middle of a war with 3 civs, so it took me awhile to get my transport over there. I took the coast city and moved inland, and the germans wiped out the english (and got the coal) before I could!

However, the Indians were attacking me at this point, and they too had coal. I sent a force over there and took the lone outpost to supply coal.

When I discovered Uranium there were no deposits in my land (even with #1 land mass), but Egypt (who are backstabbing bastards) had uranium right next to me. Quick short war to take that city and I am good.

I generally play a peaceful game, so I like getting forced into strategic conquests.

Now, if we could just make the AI realize that I'm stronger then they are, so they don't keep attacking me...

Thanks for the info, gang. I've played about 140 hours of Civ3 at this point and this is the first time I've ever had major issues with iron appearing on the map (coal is usually pretty rare). From the sounds of it, several of you are encountering similiar issues, and while I agree that strategic resources are important to the game - the lack of one can end your game. For instance, without iron the best unit I could build was the Longbowman - which just isn't going to get the job done when the computer sends a hoard of swordsmen down to attack and has all his cities defended with pikemen.

Having played so much of this game over the last month and a half, I'm thinking that Firaxis did rush it out the door. It's stable and it's in better shape than most games on the market, but there are just too many indications that this title was put out unfinished. Certainly Firaxis and Infogrames could correct a lot of it through patches, but more likely a $30 add-on pack, but Civ3 is far from what it should have been. In many ways it lacks many of the advances that Civ2 had.

Top Bottom