[R&F] Is archer rush still viable?

CornPlanter

Emperor
With AI civs nearby I used to rush archery and take their capitals reasonably early. But with R&F I seem to constantly fail due to lack of loyalty and strong influence from nearby AI cities. By the time I rush with my 4+ archers and a warrior they usually have 3 cities at least, and when I take one, it rebels before I can take the rest. Governor comes way too late in my games to make a difference. I rush to rebuild monument but it does not seem to make much of a difference either.

I guess I can raze everything but the capital, haven't tried it yet.

Or maybe I am doing something wrong.

Playing Emperor difficulty

It isn't a good idea at higher levels unless you're Nubia. They can still take CS though. Horses or swords can beat the ai, and knights actually need a nerf imho.

Pretty much only as a 1 city all in push if you meet them immediately, but it's much more flexible if you can conquer or liberate a CS. This sidesteps the problem completely and sometimes I think liberating the CS is good since the suzerain boost can be good if you can't hold it anyways while still weakening their presence in the area.

The bigger problem is opening slingers makes you very weak to an AI or horse barb rush since slingers do nothing in those situations.

I think it's most difficult when they're somewhat far away and you don't have any resources, but archers don't reach them fast enough.

Depends on what speed you're playing on imo... Archers are a great prelude to a horsemen push since they're along the way though

I think you need to gauge it by how close they're settling to you. Sometimes the AI will aggressively forward settle and then the loyalty battle is between your capital and one of their satellites. Totally viable there. If you have to march ten tiles away it's going to be a problem.

I try to send scouts out quickly so I know if there's anyone close. If they're crowding you then you expand violently. If there's plenty of Lebensraum you should hold off on attacking and expand peacefully while planning for a horse or knight rush later.

Top Bottom