Is armies overpowered in civ3?

Interesting. In a recent game Cav Armies were slicing Muskets like hot knives through butter but when attacking underlying Pikes in the same city they'd invariably go down to yellow or redline before winning. Likewise with a Cav Army going against a Numidian Merc on a Mountain (strength of 9 vs def of 6 respectively) the same thing happened; in this case the Army got down to one hitpoint before finishing it off. Didn't have the same problem with individual Cav units going against Pikes. Curious, no?

I checked Richie's profile and he was last seen Dec 4, 2013. Reviving old threads is fine in my book, and I've done so several times myself. But, I have a feeling you might be talking to a ghost.

So do I. CivRev doesn't seem to be breathing at this point. Anyway if nobody else has this problem with Armies vs Pikes then maybe Justanick's correct, it was random fluctuations. Another game might give different results. But IIRC it happened at least 6 times (including the Numidian Merc on the mountain).

How often do you not have that one spearman that just won't die? It's all statistics and probabilities.

FWIW in a current game Cav Armies (3 units each) attacking Muskets often got down to yellow against the first City defender. Once an Army got down to 1 before winning. At 9 against 7 it ain't a foregone conclusion, extra hitpoints notwithstanding. Funny how each game may come up with different "consistent" results. Random fluctuations indeed.

Pfft. I've had a Cav army of not less than 13 HP lose vs a Cavalry 3/4 (in a metro, but still)! That metro also had an "invincible infantry" eating a grand total of 11 cavs, 4 in an army and 7 alone, all elite and vet, effectively purging my entire amassed stack of cavs. :spear: (This was in vanilla)

Yep, about armies. In [Civ3] armies are definitely NOT overpowered. First, they cannot pillage! Second, they behave merely like a fat unit, retaining parameters. (I wonder if they ever are worth the 400 shields I'm spending on 'em, but considering that an army does get on top of many city attacks, the answer is still "probably yes") And third, they heal slowly in barracks contrary to normal units which take a single turn unmoved to fully heal. In [C3C] armies ARE overpowered, but mainly this comes from the +1 movement and pillage ability, stats are just icing on the cake. However, making the increase of stats a "geometric effect" (c) Santiago rendered AI helpless vs armies - DOUBLE OP.

Vanillla Armies performed worse than single units in my experience. IMHO C3C gets it right..

stats are just icing on the cake.

That is a big icing. Modern armour has 24/16/3. A fully developed army of 4 modern armour has 48/32/4. This bonus of 100% makes them quite valuable for breaking open any thoughly defended metropolis.

still, the most op aspect is that armies won´t be attacked by the AS under most circumstances. actually, everything else THAN THAT is just the icing… ;)
t_x

still, the most op aspect is that armies won´t be attacked by the AS under most circumstances. actually, everything else THAN THAT is just the icing… ;)
t_x
IIRC Bombers and Cruise Missiles have gone after my Armies...although rarely regular combat units.

under most circumstances

;)

if the defense value of the army is already too low altogether, if the army stands in a settlement, bombers…
there are a few exceptions, but asking for the most op aspect of armies, the statement stands.

t_x

Top Bottom