Is early war (deity) thing of the past?

Sett

Chieftain
With the new GS mechanics I get invariably targeted for emergency on turn 2 of medieval era. In one game I managed to buy myself out of it, at the cost of literally everything I had, that could be traded, in others I get zerged by 4-5 AIs (large map+2), because I simply cannot afford 370 DF this early. Am I doing it wrong? Should I just spam units and walls with no regard to infrastructure all the way into renaisance? Or is diplomacy the new conquest?

Also: Hi folks :wavey:

Last edited:
Hasn't been a problem at all so far. I mean, I get targeted for emergencies but people never vote for it or they even vote against it, I'm not sure what factors they consider when they vote on emergencies. Also I generally am the diplomatic favor leader, I spread my envoys for maximum suzerainty and never spend it on anything else than to start or block emergencies.

Last edited:
Hasn't been a problem at all so far. I mean, I get targeted for emergencies but people never vote for it or they even vote against it, I'm not sure what factors they consider when they vote on emergencies. Also I generally am the diplomatic favor leader, I spread my envoys for maximum suzerainty and never spend it on anything else than to start or block emergencies.
For me they do. I take a few cities, I get the usual round of denouncement, everyone begs for an excuse to have at me. Plus it's not like they were too hot for me in the first place....

Seems a bit odd sometimes. I just had a game where I was pushing my neighbour with knights, took two cities and immediatly got an emergency. I can't tell what triggers them but everybody was on fire for the freedom of some scottish huts. This slowed me down that my offense loyality crashed.

Seems a bit odd sometimes. I just had a game where I was pushing my neighbour with knights, took two cities and immediatly got an emergency. I can't tell what triggers them but everybody was on fire for the freedom of some scottish huts. This slowed me down that my offense loyality crashed.

Basically, if you are leading in any category on the world rankings screen and take a city, they can call an emergency.

Also I have found that even if you get declared on by 3 or 4 different civs only one will actually do anything. After you win the emergency you will have a ton of DF to finance the next conquest.

When you are ready to attack, I think it's better to settle a city close to them, make demands of gold, and wait for them to declare on you. When they take your forward settled city, you declare the emergency to get it back plus a few more for your trouble.

Also I have found that even if you get declared on by 3 or 4 different civs only one will actually do anything. After you win the emergency you will have a ton of DF to finance the next conquest.
I'm currently playing an Immortal game where I was targeted with an emergency by two Civs (Zulu and Sweden) at around turn 70. Both actively attacked me which was quite annoying as I had them on opposite sides of my civ.
I guess it was due to me sharing borders with them.

Last edited:
:wavey: Hi @Sett Welcome!
Bottom line is the AI is not very good at emergencies and so you want to have an emergency against you... as many as possible. You can normally defend against them easily and if you succeed you get 200DF which is awesome.

Even better, typically that first emergency is quite old, from when you did something naughty against a city that is now in the middle of your territory and the idiot AI tries to ignore your other cities and go for that one. :run:
If you are getting zerged by 4-5 civs then that is different, probably playing on a small pangea map... in that situation yes, you have to be more careful or get those walls up as you said. This has the benefit of mowing down the opposition army in your territory which then makes them easy targets once they are exhausted.
Play a standard size continents and it is a different story.

Lets hope they stop these stupid early emergencies as they make it too easy and also break immersion.

Last edited:
Sounds about right. In last game I still got targeted after snatching nearest capital, but since I traded left and right for all the DF i could afford I actually made a bunch of friends and only two civs joined the emergency. That, I can handle. And leverage :cooool:

With the new GS mechanics I get invariably targeted for emergency on turn 2 of medieval era. In one game I managed to buy myself out of it, at the cost of literally everything I had, that could be traded, in others I get zerged by 4-5 AIs (large map+2), because I simply cannot afford 370 DF this early. Am I doing it wrong? Should I just spam units and walls with no regard to infrastructure all the way into renaisance? Or is diplomacy the new conquest?

Also: Hi folks :wavey:
No early war is still the most viable strat in Deity in GS.I recently won my first and only GS expansion deity game as a DV with Hungary and it seemed to me emergencies only help rather than slow down the player. You get free diplo points that help you to pass favourable resolutions in the WC. Also never bother with walls but only units. Spam warriors and 2 archers(depending on terrain) to take down your first neighbour ASAP. Then switch to knights and the game plays out just as in RF.

P.S. Also Hungaries UA is awesome even in Deity where nearly all CS get killed. The initial early game advantage of having 10 warriors smashing themselves into enemy cities is quite strong. It helps you set up your war factory of 7-8 cities quite easily by T60.

Definitely need war in deity and Monty is OP as ever. I just finished a deity SV game and had no choice but to go to war early. Scotland, France and Maori were all expanding into me and I had room to expand to 2 cities leaving me no choice. I had a really OP start next to a volcano and Kilimanjaro to the SE. I was pumping out eagle warriors as fast as possible. Once I saw France bringing a settler my way I had to declare war and get that settler asap. France was easy but Scotland took a while as he had walls and 10 cities(had to raze 3 of them) so it was a slog with slow moving warriors and just a few archers and two rams and had to call peace to make gold from him and finish him later. Maori I had to wait till later in mid game.

The fighting was fun, but I wanted to settle down and focus on SV just to see the SV changes in GS. Ended up making many mistakes and finishing at turn 240. Below is a pic of my capitol after many eruptions. Notice the idiotic placement of my campus; should have put it to the east mountains not near the volcano :rolleyes:. Look at those volcano tiles: 8 food, 9 gears from that NW spot. Similar yields to Kilimanjaro. I only created two space ports(one built in cap the other bought with Reyna), should have made a few others to speed up the Exoplanet projects. However without late game monumentality I had to resort to buying builders as fast as I could between the two spaceports I had. If I had planned better I could have bought tons of builders with faith in the previous monumentality golden age.

Included is the map if anyone is interested. All common DLCs, no custom mods

Attachments

• CivilizationVI 2019-02-24 09-03-17-34.png
    CivilizationVI 2019-02-24 09-03-17-34.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 402
  • MONTEZUMA 1 4000 BC OP volanco start.Civ6Save
    561.8 KB · Views: 266
Definitely need war in deity and Monty is OP as ever. I just finished a deity SV game and had no choice but to go to war early. Scotland, France and Maori were all expanding into me and I had room to expand to 2 cities leaving me no choice. I had a really OP start next to a volcano and Kilimanjaro to the SE. I was pumping out eagle warriors as fast as possible. Once I saw France bringing a settler my way I had to declare war and get that settler asap. France was easy but Scotland took a while as he had walls and 10 cities(had to raze 3 of them) so it was a slog with slow moving warriors and just a few archers and two rams and had to call peace to make gold from him and finish him later. Maori I had to wait till later in mid game.

The fighting was fun, but I wanted to settle down and focus on SV just to see the SV changes in GS. Ended up making many mistakes and finishing at turn 240. Below is a pic of my capitol after many eruptions. Notice the idiotic placement of my campus; should have put it to the east mountains not near the volcano :rolleyes:. Look at those volcano tiles: 8 food, 9 gears from that NW spot. Similar yields to Kilimanjaro. I only created two space ports(one built in cap the other bought with Reyna), should have made a few others to speed up the Exoplanet projects. However without late game monumentality I had to resort to buying builders as fast as I could between the two spaceports I had. If I had planned better I could have bought tons of builders with faith in the previous monumentality golden age.

Included is the map if anyone is interested. All common DLCs, no custom mods

Just went a SV as usual with only one spaceport. I don't really see the need for more when the production is good. The project to speed up the mission costs 30 aluminium per turn, so there is not much you can do until you have tons of it.

Just went a SV as usual with only one spaceport. I don't really see the need for more when the production is good. The project to speed up the mission costs 30 aluminium per turn, so there is not much you can do until you have tons of it.

Sure you can win with one spaceport but it takes a lot longer. Each project completion adds just +1 light year so the more of those you pump out in parallel the faster you will finish. I had plenty of aluminum per turn and there is also the option of the Terrestrial project which doesn't consume aluminum. Two more spaceports would have cut the time by another 5-10 turns probably.

Oh and I just realized I totally forgot to work the tile 2 SE of the capitol. I could have put a mine or wind farm there :shifty:

Sure you can win with one spaceport but it takes a lot longer. Each project completion adds just +1 light year so the more of those you pump out in parallel the faster you will finish. I had plenty of aluminum per turn and there is also the option of the Terrestrial project which doesn't consume aluminum. Two more spaceports would have cut the time by another 5-10 turns probably.

Oh and I just realized I totally forgot to work the tile 2 SE of the capitol. I could have put a mine or wind farm there :shifty:

Whops. The other one is for SV aswell? I'll look that up tomorrow, I just anticipated that to be an equal to V's SETI project. My bad, in this case multiple space ports are totally useful.

Top Bottom