Is it worth it to lock in district cost instead of allowing a new resource to pop up?

Arms Longfellow

Warlord
First of all, I want to confirm that this "bug" still exists and wasn't changed in a patch: When you can begin construction of a district, you should do so as quickly as possible to lock in the production cost. Then you can switch back to building whatever it was you were building before, and resume work on the district at your convenience. This will stop the district cost from escalating as you advance through the tech eras.

But one drawback to this technique is that you cover up potential strategic resources from being unearthed after you research the appropriate tech. This is especially true in a capital city since they are given a high bias for resources.

Is it worth the risk of covering up new strategic resources? I think locking in is good in the early game because you don't really need to worry about covering up iron; you rarely want to build districts on hills, but you could potentially be depriving yourself of niter, oil, aluminum, uranium, and artifacts later in the game.

When you discover that resource tech that resource is automatically granted to you if you place a district beforehand.

So I guess that's what happens when the notification pops up: "You have discovered a new resource" but I can't find where it is. I always assumed that it appeared in my city centre. If this is the case, it swings heavily in favour of laying districts as soon as possible, although you do lose out on the extra production that you get from opening a mine on those squares.

I think locking in is good in the early game because you don't really need to worry about covering up iron;
The only real downside is you can miss the iron working eureka because you did not build a mine in that tile. The same rule applies for other resources.
You also miss a little production but save a builder charge.

First of all, I want to confirm that this "bug" still exists and wasn't changed in a patch: When you can begin construction of a district, you should do so as quickly as possible to lock in the production cost.

I do think this is intended. If the Production cost of the district raise with the number of technologies / policies, then the building time will go up (because of increased Production cost) and down (because of more Production added to cities like: more population, industrial zone, envoy...). If you see the district remaining time goes up for no reason, then people that are not aware of the raising cost will be medused at this, and think the whole thing is buggy

If resources are automatically hooked up, how can I see where it is exactly under which district?

Strategic view?

Look in resource report to identify city then hover over the districts in that city... simples.
upload_2018-2-17_15-14-35.png

upload_2018-2-17_15-15-30.png

Nice, thank you Victoria.

I need to use the reports more to get familiar with.

Top Bottom