Is Lautaro anyone's Civ of choice?

I enjoyed my two games as the Mapuche. They're not OP, but they're fun. As the AI, Lautaro will always be a tough opponent if you're shooting for CV. He's neither my favorite civ (that goes to Persia) nor my favorite from R&F (that goes to Cree), but I like him well enough.

Just finished my first game as Lautaro. Immortal standard continents. Won a culture victory around turn 265ish. Built so many more wonders than I normally do as well as 2 national parks (I usually build 0 or 1). Definitely enjoyed the game. Completely conquered all of Pericles' Greece during the Classical age and the beginning of the Medieval age since he was my neighbor in a golden age. Had Georgia and Ghandi's India declare war on me around the Renaissance (my 2 other neighbors) and was able to easily repel them and liberate a Georgian controlled city state. Georgia declared way on me later by herself, and I took 2 of her cities including a capital pretty easily. India declared war on me again by himself, and repelled, since I didn't want anymore cities. Huge cash payouts from both. Liberated another 2. Had 2 overseas cities on islands to have easier accessibility to trade routes for the culture bonus to other civs. Had Egypt and America as my allies. I always enjoy late game more if diplomacy is actually utilized instead of having every angry at you, and you're living alone in the world. Super fun civ! Golden age wars are definitely situational, but found myself in enough good situations to be happy with it.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/lautaro-lunacy.636635/

This is a fun strategy for Lautaro... There are several settings @d_b suggests that will make him a lot more fun/easier to play. It's easy to move up a level, and the New World gives more Mountains (why not enjoy the civ as designed?). I'm not a huge fan of later era starts, but it is very nice to have new cities be productive immediately.

-----

"Settings: Pangaea; Classical Age; New World, Wet. I've played this out on Emperor (like taking candy from a baby) and Immortal (easy-ish) and Deity (pay attention, relatively easy win).

Starting in classical gives you a city with 4 population, a 2 card government, and 2 x governor titles straight away.

Take cards: + 30% builders. + 50% units. Put Magnus in Capital. A few turns later...

Build a builder, chop in a holy site, then an encampment, then help chop a settler out.

Religion: Crusade, and what else you like. Pantheon: Earth Goddess or Goddess of the Harvest - you want Faith fast to force religion down your neighbors throats as you war them.

When you take +10 combat score against opponents in a golden age, add +10 from crusade, and +5 from a great general... you are unstoppable."

Had a game the other day where I could take full advantage of the golden age thingie, against Spain. Got an achievement for taking Madrid, Reverse Colonialism. +10 is rather brutal, takes a bit of randomness but fun when you get it to work.

Yeah I'm liking him more and more. I'm a builder by nature. Sorry.. I mean I'm an over-builder by nature.. and it's how I optimized my gameplay for production over all. My old motto may have well been: Tall or Wide? Why not both?

Recently returned from a civ hiatus and find my previous impulses somewhat changed. I'm now a somehwat of a minimalist. I try to be razor focused in my game and only build/modify what is necessary to pursue a win condition. As such, I find myself admiring Civs that excel off tile appeal and Lauturo fits that bill. The civs I'm currently enjoying are Mapuche, France, Indonesia, Persia, Australia, Khmer, Congolese and Cree.

Top Bottom