Is policy tradition okay as is?

There are just stricter start requirements in order to get Tradition going (growth tiles around capital, defensible position, good luxury yields, production).

Your change seems like a way to make Tradition viable for any start.

I love playing Tradition, but realize that Civ is a game of adaptability, so you just gotta either go Progress/Authority, or reroll for a more viable Tradition start if that's what you really want to play.

There are just stricter start requirements in order to get Tradition going (growth tiles around capital, defensible position, good luxury yields, production).

Your change seems like a way to make Tradition viable for any start.

I love playing Tradition, but realize that Civ is a game of adaptability, so you just gotta either go Progress/Authority, or reroll for a more viable Tradition start if that's what you really want to play.
Yes, but while there are civilizations with good "progress", there are civilizations with good "tradition". They are being forced to make sacrifices. Civilizations with good "A civilization specialized in progress." have been given wings too.

Even the recent Authority patches have gotten so good that the relatively fixed traditions that have remained the same need to change.

Have you ever thought about Alice in Wonderland's "Red Queen Hypothesis"?

Have you played Authority recently? If you just hire scouts and demand tribute from city-states, you get ridiculous amounts of gold. Additionally, the creation of barbarians is very fast, so the supply of culture is also enormous.

Last edited:
Tribute is overtuned at the moment and is likely going to be toned down next congress.

My experience with tradition is that it varies in performance mainly by the amount of food available to the capital early on. Being able to growth an extra population or two can easily push the tree's performance in the first two eras.

I pretty much agree with everything OP's saying here ... People saying otherwise, must be playing on a lower difficulty level because on diety playing tradition is not possible 9 out of 10 (even if the conditions are supposedly supports picking the tree). He's being especially correct while argumenting about the 'two population pop', I mean 9 out of 10 times you don't even have the proper land to support it! I don't even consider this policy a strength or a bonus unless the conditions are absolutely perfect.

Tradition as of now, requires an absolutely perfect start, even then it might not work out in the end.

Last edited:
I pretty much agree with everything OP's saying here ... People saying otherwise, must be playing on a lower difficulty level because on diety playing tradition is not possible 9 out of 10 (even if the conditions are supposedly supports picking the tree). He's being especially correct while argumenting about the 'two population pop', I mean 9 out of 10 times you don't even have the proper land to support it! I don't even consider this policy a strength or a bonus unless the conditions are absolutely perfect.

Tradition as of now, requires an absolutely perfect start, even then it might not work out in the end.
Yep, the game is balanced on Emperor. Deity difficulty is an outlier.

Progress is probably OP on Settler difficulty? No one cares.

Are you really saying that liberty is that much better? I don't think any deity start is impossible with tradition.

Deity players may be the loudest, but we've run several polls showing that emperor is the most popular difficulty by a good margin.

Even thought it is not actually the case.
Genuinely interested in that you develop your thoughts on this. Balanced for higher or lower difficulty? What parts?

I mostly always played VP on Emperor until 3.x where I had to downgrade to King AND stay there to keep enjoying the game.

Genuinely interested in that you develop your thoughts on this. Balanced for higher or lower difficulty? What parts?

I mostly always played VP on Emperor until 3.x where I had to downgrade to King AND stay there to keep enjoying the game.
Well mostly referring to discussions about Japan and Venice, which are considered strong and weak, respectively.
Balancing a game is extremely difficult, and either result in Civilizations being imbalanced, or too samey.
I do prefer each Civ to have its own personality.

I was also referring to CppMaster telling that the game was balanced ; I added a note to say that the devs try to balance the game around Emperor, and that the game is actually not fully balanced around it.

Top Bottom