Is the AI in MP broken?

Tridus

Warlord
Just finished a co-op MP game with a friend. It started off alright, but then it got stupidly easy because the AI in four different Civs built Trading Posts in every tile they were capable of. That's it.

Sufficied to say, that was not very effective, and it got to a point that City States were using mechanized infantry to take and raze cities from Civs defending themselves with crossbows.

Anybody else seen that behavior?

The AI seems somewhat dumbed down in MP as a whole. I'm not sure why this is true. I've been playing King (moving up next time I play) and have noticed that SP King AIs appear to be more likely to declare war, make alliances with City States, and just, generally, do things. In MP, even when all players choose King as their own difficulty, AIs are somewhat slower, more turtle-ish, and less dangerous overall. Could be my imagination or it could be a bug. Or, I guess it could be intended too.

I've never really had the AI in multiplayer contact me for secrecy or corporation pacts which I get all the time in singe player. It seems to me that they made multi-player thinking it would be played exclusively with only human players, not bothering to think that some people play with a mix of AI and humans. The AI currently implemented just seems like a very weak thing to keep the game going/not make any major game decisions until a human player joins and takes over the slot, which is stupid. There should at least be the option to have fully implemented AI.

I've had similar issues with the AI in multiplayer. I'm convinced it's a bug. Surely no one would want half dead AI to play with. They never contact me, or anyone else in the game and have never declared war, and what fun is Civ without those pesky leaders who declare war for no reason whatsoever? All of my friends have experienced the same problem. Until it's fixed I guess I'm stuck with SP or all human MP.

You guys realize that the AI's skill level is dependent on the difficulty setting, right?

So, since everyone goes with the default in MP the AI is dumb when it takes over.

The AI in my MP games are always set to Prince, and the problem persists. And even if the issue was what difficulty the AI were set to, they would still contact you for pacts and trades. My best guess is that it's a design flaw in which Firaxis sought to minimize interruptions during MP games between humans, but they accidentally killed all AI interaction.

The AI in my MP games are always set to Prince, and the problem persists.

You don't need to set AI difficulty. Just change human player difficulty. I started a game 2vs2 with an AI as ally vs 2 AIs. I set my difficulty to deity and saw at the beginning of the game that my AI-ally has 2 settlers, 2 workers, etc.

You don't need to set AI difficulty. Just change human player difficulty. I started a game 2vs2 with an AI as ally vs 2 AIs. I set my difficulty to deity and saw at the beginning of the game that my AI-ally has 2 settlers, 2 workers, etc.

Was this in single player or multi player? If it was multi player, how did it react when you have two human players set to two different difficulties?

As your game progressed, has the AI you allied with behaved more like SP-like AI and what about the two AIs who are in a team on their own, how did they do?

TYVM for info.

I haven't played a game with such preferences yet. Only FFA with 2 humans and 6 AIs (Prince difficulty). They have never contacted me.

Top Bottom