Is there a future for RFCE?

I'd focus more on the Balkans than Southern Italy. Moesia, Macedonia, Arberia, Epirus and Morea, as well as possibly Dalmatia and Serbia. Make it so you have to reclaim all of the previous ERE territories, and also defeat / vassalise the Bulgarians and Arabs.

I like this idea, although I would make it similar to Spain's UHV, i.e. make sure Orthodox nations have more population than Catholic nations, or make sure Orthodoxy is the dominant religion. That would be more in line with the Byzantine Empire's role as the centre of the Orthodox Church, and would meet the requirements for the 3rd UHV being an ultimate goal that the Byzantines failed to manage.

I agree with you, the balkans should be added on the 2nd UHV, however i feel like there is no big challenge from the slavs barbarian to stop this achievement, once the bulgarian spawns, there is no more enemies there but the bulgars. There should be more barbarians popping up to represent the Magyars, the Cumans, the Avars, the Rus vikings pirate and the Normands coming from the west.

I also think that Constantinople has never ever been threated in almost 4 years playing this Mod, which is ahistorical once the city had to fight to survive for almost 1000 years. So i suggest a couple of vikings embarking there like they do in France just before the Norway spawn( this would represent the Rus sacking the suburb of constantinople in 860, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Constantinople_(860))

It sounds great, having more orthodox prayers than catholic, it should be much more of a challenge than the current one.

well, a few bugs to report:

the seljuk units can ignore terrain movement cost, which its not supposed to happen, as there is no information saying it so. The same to keshiks (mongol riders).

the city raider combat bonus has no effect, so it is a useless promotion.

well, a few bugs to report:

the seljuk units can ignore terrain movement cost, which its not supposed to happen, as there is no information saying it so. The same to keshiks (mongol riders).

It's intended, especially for the Keshiks.
Enabled these units in the civilopedia (so they show up now), where else should there be information?

the city raider combat bonus has no effect, so it is a useless promotion.

Are you sure?
There were a couple bugs connected to promotions when Pinch was reintroduced, but AFAIK the base city raider promotion wasn't affected by those.
Anyway, please try again when I upload the new version.

its awesome that you are back after so much time!!! I am happy to hear that, and dont want to bombard you with my ideas right now. But i hope ottomans got stronger in your new version...
és ha ott vagy igyál eg sört helyettem is :D

its awesome that you are back after so much time!!! I am happy to hear that, and dont want to bombard you with my ideas right now. But i hope ottomans got stronger in your new version...
és ha ott vagy igyál eg sört helyettem is :D

I'm already back in Hungary, but I had quite a few dutch and belgian beers, thanks :)
Anyway, 1.3 is (almost) released:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=545794

Hi.

Im 100% sure, i´ve beated the 1.2 version hundred of times... city raider has no meaning.
And about the keshiks and seljuks i put the mouse over it and didnt saw "ignore terrain" so i thought was a bug, but ok.

nice to see a new update coming

CR is working for me, as always did....myabe dont like you. Also for me it was knonw that khesiks have the ignore promotion, even its not shown in the popup bubble.

@Absinte

can u post the new svn link, or its the same as was before?
'cos i reinstalled civ4 and now cant get a good checkout link.
Maybe only i have that problem, maybe win related, it says:

Error: Can't create directory, access denied. wtf? all atributes are free from write protection.

Yeah the latest version didn´t liked me...
But now i have tested and in 1.3 the promotion is working fine so far.

By the way, absint, if you are willing to introduce the mamluks on svn version, please rebalance the mamluk knight, as they have +30% vs both heavy and light cavalry in rfce++, being a much more stronger horsemen than paladin, which is +30% vs heavy only.

About mercenaries, we can´t recruit turkish horsemen as byzantium, only as a catholic nation (and perharps muslim, haven´t tried one yet), however we all know that the turkish riders were a great part of the byzantine late army. Perharps that should change, what do u think? (i don´t know if there is turcoman mercenary in svn version, im saying from rfce ++ experience)

I agree with you, the balkans should be added on the 2nd UHV, however i feel like there is no big challenge from the slavs barbarian to stop this achievement, once the bulgarian spawns, there is no more enemies there but the bulgars. There should be more barbarians popping up to represent the Magyars, the Cumans, the Avars, the Rus vikings pirate and the Normands coming from the west.

I also think that Constantinople has never ever been threated in almost 4 years playing this Mod, which is ahistorical once the city had to fight to survive for almost 1000 years. So i suggest a couple of vikings embarking there like they do in France just before the Norway spawn( this would represent the Rus sacking the suburb of constantinople in 860, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Constantinople_(860))

It sounds great, having more orthodox prayers than catholic, it should be much more of a challenge than the current one.

Yes, Byzantium should definitely face more consistent pressure from barbarians in the west. Human Byzantium also needs to face much stronger Arabs and pressure from the Venetians and potentially Sicily if it's included. The Arabs beseiged Constantinople twice during the early part of the mod, but in its current state they simply stop at Antioch and pose no threat to the Byzantines which makes it too easy for a human player to stay large and stable throughout the whole period.

Yes, Byzantium should definitely face more consistent pressure from barbarians in the west. Human Byzantium also needs to face much stronger Arabs and pressure from the Venetians and potentially Sicily if it's included. The Arabs beseiged Constantinople twice during the early part of the mod, but in its current state they simply stop at Antioch and pose no threat to the Byzantines which makes it too easy for a human player to stay large and stable throughout the whole period.

The Arabs often don't even take Alexandria or Cyrene from Byzantium either, which definitely needs to change. Either stacks should spawn near the cities or Egypt needs to be added to the Arab flip zone to help them get started.

Yeah, I'm very sorry for that :/
Made that promise when I released 1.1, but some time later I had to take a big break from modding, and from RFCE in general in the end.
It simply got too much, and I spent way too much time with it, especially in the first half of 2013 with the unreleased SVN version.
Later life took over. Bad break-up, new girlfriend, finishing university, etc.
And 2 years passed, with me barely noticing it :)

Anyway, now some more actual things:
In the last few weeks I found myself in the rare combination of both time and motivation to mod.
So I finished some of my WIP things for RFCE
Actually I wanted to release an official 1.3 version today (with the SVN version of the last 1.5 years being considered as 1.2)
I'm somewhat postponing it, as it's not in a perfect shape yet, and I'm going on a 10 day trip to the Netherlands tomorrow. Still, I'm already somewhat statisfied with it, so you can expect RFCE 1.3 in the next few weeks.

So the answer to your question:
RFCE is definitely not dead, and won't be for quite a while :)
I love this mod, and have no intentions to completely abandon it.
In fact, I wanted to do the upcoming updates much earlier, and plan quite some more even after these.
No more promises on deadlines after 1.3 though :lol:

Cheers:
Absinthe

Oh this is such great news! I'm glad to hear that things are picking up for you again. I haven't checked here in a long time because my previous computer got fried and it took me more than three weeks to get a replacement. Not to mention getting caught up in college again since it's hard to rebound after you've lost the thing that you use for most of your assignments xD I will do an SVN checkout right now and see how it's doing! Thanks.

The Arabs often don't even take Alexandria or Cyrene from Byzantium either, which definitely needs to change. Either stacks should spawn near the cities or Egypt needs to be added to the Arab flip zone to help them get started.

Agreed, but for 1.3 I would like to concentrate on the new civs
Hopefully I will be able to release 1.3 officially around the weekend.

Oh this is such great news! I'm glad to hear that things are picking up for you again. I haven't checked here in a long time because my previous computer got fried and it took me more than three weeks to get a replacement. Not to mention getting caught up in college again since it's hard to rebound after you've lost the thing that you use for most of your assignments xD I will do an SVN checkout right now and see how it's doing! Thanks.

Hope you will like it, and don't forget to post some feedback :)

Top Bottom