[BTS] Is there a mod for BTS using Warlords AI difficulty bonuses?

sylvanllewelyn

Perma-newb
Is there a mod, or a way to modify, the BTS version of civ4, but with warlords difficulty bonuses?

Like how our fathers did it? Warlords style deity difficulty?

You can create worldbuilder scenarios to give AIs different starting units, I'm not sure if that's the only difference

I'm afraid I can't help you with your question but I'm curious - what is the difference between Warlords and BtS difficulty bonuses? I wasn't aware there were differences!

Kind regards,
Ita Bear

I'm afraid I can't help you with your question but I'm curious - what is the difference between Warlords and BtS difficulty bonuses? I wasn't aware there were differences!

Kind regards,
Ita Bear
I don't know exactly but I believe Warlords was fairly renown for having the hardest deity level.

Is there a mod, or a way to modify, the BTS version of civ4, but with warlords difficulty bonuses?

Like how our fathers did it? Warlords style deity difficulty?
I'm not aware of a mod for that per se. However, BTS does have some improved AI mods. You might try the Better AI mod or Better BAT AI, which comes with graphics and BUG interface. KMOD is also no to have better AI.

I don't know exactly but I believe Warlords was fairly renown for having the hardest deity level.
I vaguely remember hearing Deity AIs apparently started with three settlers instead of two, but beyond that I'm not sure.

I vaguely remember hearing Deity AIs apparently started with three settlers instead of two, but beyond that I'm not sure.
Oh wow, that'd be insane. I never really played regular warlords games much at all back in the day as I got civ around the time BTS had arrived. I only played the scenarios, which were quite fun.

Here's a Git commit showing the changes that BtS has made to Civ4HandicapInfos.xml. (Will need to click "Show diff" and scroll down for the Deity changes.) It shows some elements added by BtS, e.g. regarding colony maintenance. Due to those new (required) tags, one couldn't just copy the Warlords file into a mod for BtS. Free health and happiness were apparently one lower in WL, but that applied to most of the difficulty levels - including Noble, and therefore also hurt the AI players [edit - no, on the contrary, see next paragraph]. The AI players had bigger combat advantages against Barbarians, namely 40% instead of 25% against non-Animal Barbarians, and an additional (I think) 70% instead of 40% against Animal Barbarians. On all difficulty levels, not just Deity. A free starting worker already on Monarch, two on Immortal and Deity. No third settler as far as I can tell. Only 60% food needed for AI city growth on Deity (BtS: 80%), also a bit less food needed on the lower levels. AI unit supply, upgrade costs(!) and inflation not flat on all difficulty levels (BtS: 50% upgrade and supply cost, 80% inflation), but decreasing with each level, reaching only 5% upgrade cost, 10% supply cost and 20% inflation on Deity. Only 20% AI war weariness (BtS 50%) on Deity, also less AI ww on the lower levels. That's all only based on interpreting those numbers in XML; I didn't play any games on higher difficulty levels before BtS came out.

Edit: I've launched a WL game to at least check the starting units. As expected, 2 settlers and 2 workers for the AI. Happiness and health one stricter for the human player, but, for the AI, actually one point more lenient. I had misread that in XML. Free happiness goes from 6 on Settler to 5 on Warlord, 4 on Prince, 3 on Emperor. In BtS, the progression stops at 4 on Prince. Free health always two lower than free happiness. So the AI with its Noble player handicap gets 1 more health and happiness in WL, the player on Deity (or even just Emperor) 1 less. Screenshots attached.

Patches for BtS (Git diffs 3.13, 3.17) made some small additional tweaks to colony maintenance and Barbarian activity. And an apparent oversight was fixed concerning the AI anti-Barbarian modifiers on Monarch.

Civ4HandicapInfos.xml contains pretty much all the variables for AI advantages. There are a few related settings in GlobalDefines.xml, e.g. the 10 free starting production in the first AI city, but none of those seem to have been changed by BtS. No AI advantages should be hidden in the C++ code – apart from visibility cheats and asymmetries in the diplomacy system, e.g. no demands/ pleas between AI players. So it should be pretty straightforward to apply the WL handicap settings through a mod. Maybe just drop the WL and BtS version of Civ4HandicapInfos.xml into WinMerge. Whether this is a good idea ... Presumably, the AI advantages were not (only) dialed down to make the highest levels easier to beat, but, mainly, because the inclusion of the Better AI mod (not to be confused with its successor Better BtS AI) made the AI more competent. Broader game design considerations may have also played a role.

Attachments

• WL_AI_freebies.jpg
    WL_AI_freebies.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 6
  • WL_free-happy-health.jpg
    WL_free-happy-health.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Top Bottom