Land unit transports

?????
Didn´t know that any army unit could UNLOAD and even upgrade.
Is this tested and working ???

?????

Armies CAN indeed be upgraded (tested), but not emptied in normal fashion. When the upgraded army can contain the same or higher number of units, the loaded units will be transferred from the "old" to the upgraded army. I haven't tried, but I would guess that when upgrading to an army with less capacity than the original, the surplus units will be unloaded - and perhaps also wheeled units when the upgraded army is for foot-units only, for example. To upgrade an army you will need to move the army to a city that is capable of building them. I have two lines of upgradeable armies (foot only and wheeled), but sadly I haven't seen AI upgrade it's armies yet.

Could this result in that one could create a transport chopper that could almost perform what choppers should do. A new type of unit, land based with heavy movement, that could be "airdropped" into an area with foot units. Have these load into the chopper and perhaps with enough movement and ignore all terrain move away from danger.
Complicated and probably never used by the AI, so it´s just a thought.

I have an air unit with movement points and the "immobile-flag" unchecked (This is not my discovery, and I don't remember who told us). It moves over any tile (also water), but being an air unit it will be destroyed when an enemy unit moves into the same tile. My chopper doesn't have transport capabilities, but I suppose that would work fine also - maybe even AI would use them? Please let us know the result if you decide to try it.:)

A guy named RS74 once solved the issue of unloading units from an army like this:
my first post here, long time follower havent seen anyone figure out how to load and unload units in armies. Think ive got it figured out. Make armies upgradable to another army type a unit (i used medieval army, lack of creativity)with same shields and everything else expect prerequisite of military tradition with ZERO transport slots and flagged the "medieval army" with ARMY,LEADER, AND BUILD ARMY. When the army is upgraded to medieval army it has no transport ability so the units get kicked out, and the new unit can then produce a new army.
I apologize in advance if someone figured this out long ago, ive just never seen it.

To this the following can be added:

About upgrading armies:
An army unit can upgrade to another army unit only in a city with Barracks AND Military Academy (or other buildings with the flags Veteran Ground Units and Build Armies Without Leader). To be able to upgrade into an army unit your civilization must also have one army less than it’s able to support. E.g. if the number of Cities Needed to Support an Army is four and you already have two armies, you must have at least twelve cities in order to upgrade those armies. Observe that it doesn’t matter how many armies you want to upgrade, as long as your civilization can support one more.

When an army unit has been upgraded into another army unit it will unlike other upgraded units be able to move at the same turn you upgraded it, with all its movement points at your disposal regardless of how many you spent before the upgrade.

Top Bottom