Land war in Asia!

God knows how accurate this is but,

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093779/trivia

# The most famous of the "classic blunders" mentioned by Vizzini - "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - was reputedly advice given by General Douglas MacArthur to President John F. Kennedy, in 1961.

# Vizzini's advice on not getting involved in a land war in Asia is derived from principles stated by Field Marshall Bernard Law Montgomery (Viscount Alamein) in a speech in the House of Lords on 30 May 1962: "Rule 1, on page 1 of the book of war is: 'Do not march on Moscow.' ... Rule 2 is: 'Do not go fighting with your land armies in China.'"

Wikipedia supports Montgomery saying this. The full quote is:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Bernard_Law_Montgomery

"Rule 1, on page 1 of the book of war, is: "Do not march on Moscow". Various people have tried it, Napoleon and Hitler, and it is no good. That is the first rule. I do not know whether your Lordships will know Rule 2 of war. It is: "Do not go fighting with your land armies in China". It is a vast country, with no clearly defined objectives."

* In the House of Lords, 30 May 1962 (Hansard, column 227)

He also commented on the US invasion of Vietnam:

The US has broken the second rule of war. That is, don't go fighting with your land army on the mainland of Asia. Rule One is don't march on Moscow. I developed these two rules myself."

* In the House of Lords on American policy in Vietnam, 1962.

Uiler said:
That is, don't go fighting with your land army on the mainland of Asia.

This is the meaning of the phrase. If Cuba was the country that was this large the wuote would read "never fight a land war in Cuba". It has nothing to do with the asian civ in the game itself. It means that if a country is large, land troops are at a disadvantage. They are alot more familiar with the terrain as any homeland does but where the size can easily get the attacker a bit muffled, the enemy knows precisely where you are, your best options in that position, etc etc etc.

I see "never fight a land war in Asia" saying "never fight a war with an enemy that that allows them to utilize a strength of theirs." or basically, "when going to war with an enemy, exploit their weakness not their strength."

King Flevance said:
This is the meaning of the phrase. If Cuba was the country that was this large the wuote would read "never fight a land war in Cuba". It has nothing to do with the asian civ in the game itself. It means that if a country is large, land troops are at a disadvantage. They are alot more familiar with the terrain as any homeland does but where the size can easily get the attacker a bit muffled, the enemy knows precisely where you are, your best options in that position, etc etc etc.

I see "never fight a land war in Asia" saying "never fight a war with an enemy that that allows them to utilize a strength of theirs." or basically, "when going to war with an enemy, exploit their weakness not their strength."

IT'S A JOKE!!!

There may be some deeper meaning but quite frankly there is deeper meaning in every joke. (there are other 'joke' bits of advice there)

I don't think the quote was intended as advice for Civ 4 players. I think it was intended as a dig at certain people who play Civilization with real armies.

it's inconcieveable that so few people would get this joke. it's like the "snacks are good in moderation" tip, just for fun.

Mewtarthio said:
The quote was stated in The Princess Bride, but I'm not sure if it originated there. It's possible this is just a joke by the programmers.
The programmers do love their jokes and references. I've seen a lot of them in both Civ 3 and Civ 4. It's always amusing to see the little things they add here and there.

naterator said:
it's inconcieveable that so few people would get this joke. it's like the "snacks are good in moderation" tip, just for fun.

Civving is serious business.:nono:

Krikkitone said:
IT'S A JOKE!!!

There may be some deeper meaning but quite frankly there is deeper meaning in every joke. (there are other 'joke' bits of advice there)

I don't get what the punchline is to be honest. You must need dry humor for this one. I see it as a common sense thing. Sorry to point out the meaning, but it makes sense and I dont see how people can not understand what it means. If this is a movie snippet I won't get it, as I am not a big movie buff. If it is in there to be a joke, okay whatever. But seriously alot of the references are a joke. I can't think of any atm, and I tried pulling up the XML file for examples with the list of them all but can't find it. But I find some of the more "serious" tips funnier than this one...

EDIT: So btw what is the joke?

Well if you know the boardgame "risk" that the statement make perfectly sense. Dont get caugth in a fight for asia :). Dont know if the saying has anything to do with it, but it always reminds me of risk.

LordLightning said:
Well if you know the boardgame "risk" that the statement make perfectly sense. Dont get caugth in a fight for asia :). Dont know if the saying has anything to do with it, but it always reminds me of risk.

Yeah but obviously this statement is not suppose to be taken literally and there is some hillarious joke behind why. I know what your saying but the idea is ludicrous to some it seems. I am curious as to what this wonderful joke is.

TheBladeRoden said:
Civving is serious business

Apparently, so is telling jokes. :lol:

Damn, Almost everyone in this thread has no idea that it is a QUOTE!!!!!
That's right, a QUOTE!
It is supposed to be funny, and is if you think about it.
The advice was not meant to be taken literaly.
It isn't real advice.
Darn noobs.

I am the Future said:
Damn, Almost everyone in this thread has no idea that it is a QUOTE!!!!!
That's right, a QUOTE!
It is supposed to be funny, and is if you think about it.
The advice was not meant to be taken literaly.
It isn't real advice.
Darn noobs.

Then enlighten us "Oh he who is enlightened" :)
Is it a secret quote? :scan:

Inconceivable!

You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

FUNNY MOVIE

King Flevance said:
If this is a movie snippet I won't get it, as I am not a big movie buff.

You don't need to be a "big movie buff" to have seen The Princess Bride. It's practically a cultural icon here. It's like Star Wars. Most people would find it inconcievable that anyone has not seen the movie despite having access to sufficient technology to use the internet.

Mewtarthio said:
You don't need to be a "big movie buff" to have seen The Princess Bride. It's practically a cultural icon here. It's like Star Wars. Most people would find it inconcievable that anyone has not seen the movie despite having access to sufficient technology to use the internet.

Ah yeah I have seen that movie, although not for 10 years or more. I wasn't big on it. Although I have seen alot of people speak of it on this board.

wasnt that a disney movie about some geeky girl become a princess

Top Bottom