Late Game Crash (turn 337)

vorlon_mi

Emperor
Perhaps this is a known bug ...

I've been building my way to a Transcendence victory, with about 12 cities. Only 4 orbital units from me; I have a decent sized army to fight off the objectors. Two large AI with 8 cities each are still around, fighting endless skirmishes with the other smaller AI.

The game crashes to desktop with an "Exception error." Reloading doesn't help; deleting extra land and orbital units doesn't help. Turning down the video resolution from "Medium" to "Low" doesn't help. Crashes every time I load that save and click "Next Turn." Haven't seen this when winning other games on turn 320 or higher.

I can reload from an earlier save and take some different actions, but the Mind Flower will still require more turns to connect. What can be done to salvage this game?

Windows 10, 16 GB RAM, Intel i7-8750H CPU BERT, no mods loaded

@Tiberiu , have you ever seen late game crashes like this? Perhaps I just need to start a war a few turns earlier, to destroy some of the units?

Hmm... It seems like Civ Be has some bugs that happen in the late game. :(

So far I haven't had problems that occur after pressing Next turn, but one of the bugs that I encounter if I go past turn 225 or so is related to the tech web when you have discovered a lot of technologies, and a few other menus when you have a lot of cities.
It happens when you try to open the various menus (economical details about cities, the tech web, etc).
The game crashes or just stalls and a Exception error is received.

As a consequence of this, I have made a habit of always zooming in before opening the tech web, or other menus and since I started to do this I haven't had any more crashes to desktop or exception errors.

Other than that I am afraid I don't know anything else that might help, I play the game with Low settings too just to speed up the game a bit and I think Low settings do help even if the computer could have better settings.

- You can try loading the game and zooming in before you press next turn.
- If you want you can share the save and I will try to see if the game also crashes for me.

Here's the save that crashes. I have an autosave from turn 331 and a regular save form turn 330.

Attachments

• General Vadim Kozlov_TURN 337.CivBESave
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
The save crashes for me too, unfortunately. It seems that the game was not optimised well enough to handle very large colonies and there seems to be some pre-defined limit of certain things. Might be maximum overall units, maximum overall tiles controlled in the world, etc... and when this limit occurs, the game breaks.

Thanks! I had been hoping for a peaceful end game, since the two objectors got tangled up in other wars. I will try going back to an earlier save, declaring on someone, and destroying some of those units :mischief:

Went back to turn 330, as I finished my Mind Flower, to declare war on one of the objectors. The game still crashed after turn 337. I have a feeling it exceeded a total number of units limit -- my neighbor and cooperative trading partner Samatar has a PILE of units that he's not really using.

Will try going back further to an earlier save, work to start my Mind Flower sooner so it will finish sooner. And also start a war with ARC, who is ssslllooowwwlllyyy building a Beacon:hammer::evil:

I too, am facing crashes in my 200th turn. I belive its like turn 224. I've always had this problem with every civ v game

Welcome @Ghettoprince to CFC. I thought that I finished this story, but I guess I forgot. I tend to save every 15 or 20 turns, as a matter of habit. I went back to a much earlier save, like low 200s, and changed my tech order. I tried to reach level 15 in Harmony earlier, and research the last tech earlier, so that my Mind Flower would finish around turn 300 and give it time to connect. That worked! Starting wars sooner meant that other groups did not have as many units, and I was able to finish that game successfully.

@vorlon_mi thank you! I'm facing crashes now at turn 300. Very irritating, last yime I stopped the crashes by deleting one of the city states. Doesn't seem to be working now unfortunately though

Top Bottom