Layered Maps like in Test of Time

royal62184

Prince
My favorite Civilization game of all time is the test of time. I loved how you had 4 maps that would be layered essentially on top of each other. It was a great sci-fi scenario where you could travel between the maps after certain technologies were acquired (i'm a sci-fi fan). Does anybody know/think the game can be designed to support this again? From what I understand no one was able to accomplish this with Civ 4 but I could be wrong. I didn't keep up with the modding scene in Civ 4 but I plan to in Civ 5. Obviously this may still be speculation but some people have the inside scoop.

It's possible I guess. I love ToT as well, love the 4 layers map (surface, sky, underground, undersea) or 4 different planets. :)

One will have to hard mod the game to add in extra layers of map as well as a teleportation system. Also the AI will not be able to take advantage of this feature unless modded as well.

Very true. But as long as its possible somebody out there will do the mod. After reading Dale's blog it might be easier for someone not as good as modding like me to do it using modbuddy I think its called.

Just to confirm, we don't know yet.

Just to confirm, we don't know yet.
Hey, Dale, a question (probably vague related to this... because it's terrain): Any rough idea how hardcoded things like hills or mountains are? Or in other words: Does it appear to be possible to add in new plot types (with their own heightmaps, if possible) through XML only?

Asking, because I'm interesting adding new terrain elements, like canyons, highlands or new water plot types.

Cheers, LT.

I imagine it could have been done in Civ IV, just not very efficiently or quickly.

I mean, you could just iterate through the entire array of tiles, and store each one (including what was on it) and then change it. It'd take forever, though. And you'd probably have to do something to keep the game from saying "Oh no you have no cities now, you lose."

Surely there is a better way to say that but I have a fever.

Hey, Dale, a question (probably vague related to this... because it's terrain): Any rough idea how hardcoded things like hills or mountains are? Or in other words: Does it appear to be possible to add in new plot types (with their own heightmaps, if possible) through XML only?

Asking, because I'm interesting adding new terrain elements, like canyons, highlands or new water plot types.

Cheers, LT.

I've been taking a look at AssignStartingPlots.lua and apparently you'll also have to fiddle with it if you want to add new terrain. I refer to the Foreword comment on the file:
-- Jon wanted a lot of changes to terrain composition for Civ5. These have
-- had the effect of making different parts of each randomly generated map
-- more distinct, more unique, but it has also necessitated a complete
-- overhaul of where civs are placed on the map and how resources are
-- distributed. The new placements are much more precise, both for civs
-- and resources. As such, any modifications to terrain or resource types
-- will no longer be "plug and play" in the XML. Terrain modders will have
-- to work with this file as well as the XML, to integrate their mods in to
-- the new system.

It might be possible to create a map via Lua, and keep all the details stored in the Lua information.

Top Bottom