Leader and Diplomacy Art Style

I like the new art direction as a whole, but I really, really hope that the leader screens are a continuation of what we've had in Civ5--full screen, detailed, realistic, and awe-inspiring. I hope they put a little more effort into the linguistics, though.

In a way, I kind of hope the do add cartoony leader screens. Then someone like janboruta can create a mod replacing all the inferior vanilla LSs with beautiful high quality ones.

Civ V did a great job at humanising the leaders. The leaders had proportions that made them if anything - more human. Montezuma and Pacal both had spectacular accessories, but the accessories didn't outshine the leaders themselves and were not really too accentuated. They were a lot more historically accurate too (Sweden etc. notwithstanding). When accessories and body parts are exaggerated, they end product seems somewhat less human and more of a caricature. In Civ V it felt you were interacting with human depictions of leaders in terms of how they actually looked more than characters with accentuated head shapes and accessories to make them more obvious as to what there personality is going to be like.

Agreed - if they have leaderscreens that are even more beautiful and realistic than 5 (maybe even with changing clothes/background by era), I might (and that is a huge maybe) be willing to overlook the terrain/city/unit graphics <snip>.

Moderator Action: Inappropriate content snipped.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

I don't think the leaders will be more realistic. They may be a blend of real and slight caricatures similar to Civ4 since Civ6 appear to be more of a copy of the Civ4 aesthetic.

That said, I do expect it to be a beautiful full screen rendered 3D scene. I would expect the entrances being even more elaborate than Civ5.

The scenes could also be dynamic and aligned to the day/night system.

Leaders should look like this. That would be a proper artstyle direction. Just give it some color and here we go:

Spoiler :

Safe bet they won't, as I think we were all expecting to get the same art style as the cover picture, and we got the cartoonist thing ever... Weird how far apart the art direction in the trailer and cover art work is so far from what the game looks like

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

But if on top of that I've seen this cartoon character in a "serious" game, I'd cry tears of mental pain
:lol: I dont think we will be seeing the return of Civ III leaders, those things were so stupid and comically ugly.

I agree that Civ Rev Shaka looks OK, but Ghandi looks horrible!
that was basically a copy of Civ IV Gandhi.

I believe they will continue the direction of Civ V leaders but more involved scenes since for example compare BNW leader scenes (especially Zulu and Venice) to vanilla leader scenes (Rome Germany) with the exception of the Aztec scene that one was really good, the BNW leaders was what they wanted from the beginning but didn't have the resources for.

It's already confirmed that Wonder animations are shown on the map and upon completion, the camera goes down to a proper angle and shows what they look like. Additionally, the skybox changes from day to night in some to show how the wonders light up. I could see this working somewhat to suit each leader. The camera would show the leaders in an environment that looks the same as their in-game environment (perhaps a view from within the palace of a city with the landscape in the background beneath the balcony). Think Theodora and her Hagia Sophia, but with a dynamically changing cityscape/landscape with an emphasis on highlighting Wonders.
I really like this idea for leader screens. I find dynamic/changing environments based on gameplay, era, etc to be immersive. Rather than simply art direction itself, I find living and breathing environments to pull me in best visually. As eras change, leader outfits and the environments they're in on their leader screens could evolve with their civilization itself. Advisors, guards, etc in the room would be a nice touch too.

Can you imagine how great that'd be in the modern era during war (and if they met the right requirements) jets and bombers flying by? Thinking of a leaderscreen akin to Pacal's Civ V one but with military bombers in the BG is making me drool.

I really, really hope that the leader screens are a continuation of what we've had in Civ5--full screen, detailed, realistic, and awe-inspiring. I hope they put a little more effort into the linguistics, though.

This is my hope as well.

The new art style isn't my thing at all, but as long as it doesn't mean we end up with the leader caricatures again I'll probably get over it.

I'm not sure we will get more realistic-looking leaders, but something on the same level as CiV would be fine with me.

This is my hope as well.

The new art style isn't my thing at all, but as long as it doesn't mean we end up with the leader caricatures again I'll probably get over it.

I'm not sure we will get more realistic-looking leaders, but something on the same level as CiV would be fine with me.

I will buy Civ VI under 2 conditions.

1: The leaderscreens are more realistic than Civ 5
2. There is a blue-marble style mod for the game

Otherwise, keep Civ VI cause I don't need it!

Agreed - if they have leaderscreens that are even more beautiful and realistic than 5 (maybe even with changing clothes/background by era), I might (and that is a huge maybe) be willing to overlook the terrain/city/unit graphics <snip>.

I will buy Civ VI under 2 conditions.

1: The leaderscreens are more realistic than Civ 5
2. There is a blue-marble style mod for the game

Otherwise, keep Civ VI cause I don't need it!

I think you've made your opinion clear. On the same page of this thread, in fact. So, I think you can assume that everyone reading this thread has noted it.

Since I brought this up in another thread, might as well mention it here. This is from the article on The Verge,

According to Shirk, though, the graphical changes aren&#8217;t purely cosmetic, they're functional as well. For instance, the AI characters are now more expressive, with more animation, making it easier to judge their mood and mindset just by looking at them.

At first reading I thought they were talking about the units, though now I'm thinking the leaders. More expressive sounds like more cartoony. Just my interpretation, but we'll see.

I hope the fun caricatures of leaders return again. By the look of the game so far, with everything very vibrant and expressive, it's probably a safe bet that they will.

I'd also like to see the fullscreen environments ditched, and simply have leader models appear right over the blurred map when contacted. Just the upper half of their bodies so that they appear up close and take up more of the screen.

I'm looking forward to seeing how they pull these off. Also, the descriptions of the UI and its Age of Exploration theme, along with the map effects, sound so very lovely.
So basically Civ IV.

I hope not. I liked the beautiful leader screens of Civ V. More of that please. Or surprise us with something new, like an environment you can even move around in. Mini-Game, meet the leader's family and friends by walking around their Palace. Hehe

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I remember reading an interview about how the leader screens in Civilization V take an abundance of time/resources to develop. (Leader and room being 3D) This was in response to DLCs after Brave New World and if we could potentially see more leaders.

I would be okay for less impressive leader screens if it meant for more Civilizations. One of my favorite aspects of this game has always been the variety.

I mean, not to sound too insincere - but surely if the modding community can make custom leaderscreens and voice them using minimal tools (that weren't even given to us), then it really can't be too resource heavy when using professional sources and tools and a budget.

I mean, not to sound too insincere - but surely if the modding community can make custom leaderscreens and voice them using minimal tools (that weren't even given to us), then it really can't be too resource heavy when using professional sources and tools and a budget.

I didn't use leader mods with custom screens for Civ V, I don't think. Were they from scratch (not modifying existing leader graphics) and with complete features? Any idea how many hours making one took overall?

I don't make mods, but my impression was that the best mods are the work of modders that are willing to spend a huge amount of resources (i.e. development hours), no?

I didn't use leader mods with custom screens for Civ V, I don't think. Were they from scratch (not modifying existing leader graphics) and with complete features? Any idea how many hours making one took overall?

I don't make mods, but my impression was that the best mods are the work of modders that are willing to spend a huge amount of resources (i.e. development hours), no?

Spoiler :

This is one of the product of 3D leaderscreen made by skills, dedication, time, not quite enough tools and Firaxis' limitation.

Most of the mod instead use an unanimated picture as leaderscene. Which can be impressive.

I like the V leaders too, but the Shaka one in the CivRev photo above looks pretty cool to me.

I thought the same thing. It would not bother me to have the initial meeting be the elaborate one and future ones as pop ups. I do favor a more serious look than caricatured.

I remember reading an interview about how the leader screens in Civilization V take an abundance of time/resources to develop. (Leader and room being 3D) This was in response to DLCs after Brave New World and if we could potentially see more leaders.

I would be okay for less impressive leader screens if it meant for more Civilizations. One of my favorite aspects of this game has always been the variety.

BE cut the leader screens and the number of leaders. I'm all for increasing the number of civs, but the Civ5 leader screens were really awe-inspiring, nothing short of works of art. They made meeting a new civ memorable and exciting. I'd be very disappointed if they get rid of them. Indeed, with better computers and better software available now, I hope the leader scenes are not only included but are much more elaborate and lively, with courts and advisors and attendants and other background characters, as the devs originally planned for Civ5. And maybe when Monty suggests a large sacrifice to honor our meeting, his attendants exchange nervous glances. ;) I'll take eighteen unique civs with beautiful leader screens over twenty-four civs that are either less unique or lacking leader screens.

Top Bottom