Leader Improvements

I think some of the difference in peoples experience also depends on their settings; with 10 players the building could feel quite different than with the standard 8 players.

Right, that's important. And there is a huge difference if you're an unpopular warmonger noone likes to trade with, or if you've got a DoF with just about everyone.

I'm not trying to force anyone to play the way that I like. I just have certain things that I prefer, so I figured I may as well set it up that way. I like an immersion style where many things are unavailable at the beginning of the game. I like it when I can't explore much more around me than what's close by, and then things gradually open up. Most probably won't like that. I figured that since I have a mod that customizes things to what I like, then I might as well make it available to others in case they want to use it. Those that don't like it don't have to, or they can pick and choose what parts they want.

Don't get me wrong, it's great that you share! I just wanted to give you feedback: It's awesome work, but there just too many changes where I don't know the reasoning behind them to just install it as a whole. But I'd really love to see some of the stuff incorporated into the main version of Communitas.

...too many changes where I don't know the reasoning behind them...

Never a truer word was spoken.
This sadly applies to to Communitas as well. There are many changes that get in to the mod that just, somehow slip in. You don't need me to outline them, we all have at least one change that makes us go...:eek:

As this still is, mostly, Thal's project I have just put it done to his preference and left it at that. Now I think a re-think needs to happen, as the thread is showing.

There are points where we need to bite the bullet and say, "okay I like this but the majority feel it is not right". (Roman liburna as one example)

Also agree with Ahriman that the poll results shouldn't be the basis of decisions for the reasons he outlines.

For what it is worth I play Brazil every now and then and think it is fine as is.

One has to remember that things are there mostly for a reason. We might not remember the reasoning behind a change, but it might actually be the result of a very long thread with 2 polls and 6 failed earlier versions from 2 years ago.

In the case of Rome, I can well remember how 20 versions were floating around but none really stuck out as favourite. So Thal just took his version ;)

If it helps, his intention was for Rome to be a combined land & sea rush civ, something not otherwise present in the game.

But he always wanted others to contribute to the mod, so if we can cook up a concept a vast majority can agree on, he sure isn't against a change as far as I know him.

And he is still around to protest anyway ;)

Going to contribute to the outstanding civ needs:

I. Brazil

The stuff they have already points them the most toward a cultural victory, so it makes sense to align everything unique to them toward it.

Brazilwood Camp culture could do without the Acoustics requirement - maybe Drama and Poetry or Iron Working, since its the same one that gives lumbermill? Acoustics could improve the culture again, maybe break it down where D&P/IW start with +1 and Acoustics get +2?

Their unit comes way too late, which is a barrier for them. It makes sense on the one hand, because Brazil only came to be in the 19th century, but gameplay > realism.

The Portugese colonized Brazil in the 16th century, and were apparently in a constant conflict with the indigenous people, so something like a revolutionary would fit in with them. Maybe a unique Arquebusier? I don't know the language so someone else can think of the name.

II. Songhai

So I was looking at them for a bit and thought of something - nobody really has a wealth based conqueror theme in Civ 5. Songhai could fit that role because they built their Empire on the foundation of the Mali. You could say they can be envisioned as both, since the Songhai didn't last very long, while the Mali did.

Mud Pyramid Mosque could provide gold instead of culture so that religion is very profitable for them. This makes sense historically because they built their Empire on the former Mali empire, which was quite wealthy.

The gold bonus would let the Songhai be able to fund a larger military, making them a dangerous enemy. Of course, happiness would still have to budgeted so it wouldn't be overpowered since they don't get any happiness bonuses.

III. Siam

Gold is something that Siam could use more of, since Diplomacy requires bribing City-States. The Wat doesn't help with that. Siam needs either Gold or Influence from the Wat to compete with / beat its opponents for CS.

Gold would be easier to give, so maybe a % increase to the city for the Wat, or a gold bonus that equals the maintenance cost?

IV. Indonesia

Idk what Firaxis was thinking with this civ. Indonesia needs a victory type that their strategy helps them toward, and right now they have literally nothing that moves them toward a Domination, Cultural, Scientific or Diplomatic victory LOL.

I think a Diplomatic theme would make sense because there are so few of them and Indonesia is an alliance of many different cultures. Greece, Germany, and Siam could use a competitor. Maybe instead of their UA they could get Influence bonuses for gifting CS that they have trade routes with? Or maybe a resting Influence level of 20 that stacks with other bonuses? They could keep the UA they already have because frankly its so bad that you can add to it and it will still be iffy. They do have the best setup to mesh with Exploration right now though, as late is comes /shrug.

The sword unit could just keep Sneak Attack and dump the rest. The RNG is goofy and some of the promotions are just baffling in their worthlessness. A great flanking infantry would make Indonesian warfare devastating in the early-mid game.

Candi could make Great Merchants come out slightly faster along with the normal boost so that Indonesia can potentially dominate diplomatically with the massive boosts from GM every so often.

Top Bottom