Leopard Update

Hunter

Civ Addict
C3 Leopard
Due to some great advice from other users I have altered my unit ading new animations and some texture changes. I hope you enjoy.

All needed sound files are listed in the .ini

The Leopard tank, for those of you who did not see my earlier post, is a modern tank baced on the C2 Leopard build by the Germans and used in the Canadian army. I find this unit can be used to add flavor by allowing only some nations to build it instead of the Civ 3 modern tank. Also I have been using it as a heavy tank, by making it alittle stronger and more expensive.

But then again when you download it you can do what-ever you want. However I do ask that if you use it in a mod pease give me credit.

Attachments

• leopard.zip
    130 KB · Views: 1,210

Attachments

• leopard copy.jpg
    leopard copy.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 1,641
I like how you made the base colour a lighter colour :b:. But I'm afraid I don't like the new death flc either :p. Why not have the turret blow off instead? And I think the turret movement in the fidgit flc needs to be a bit slower.

Have you scrapped the camouflaged fortify? I really liked the idea, just thought it could have been done better. What about the fortify flc being a replica of the default flc, but with netting on it? Just a thought. Keep up the good work!

We needed a leopard. I haven't tried it yet but I hope it works okay. Are you sure the notoriously pathetic canadian army uses such a wonderful tank as the leopard? As far as I know Germany sells the leopard 2 to Sweden only. I'm not sure about the leopard 1 though.

Thanks for the tank. We really need more types of modern tanks, especially russian.

Notoriously Pathetic? I'm a Canadian and an ex-reservist, and I can assure you there is nothing pathetic about the Canadian military... just a lack of guns, helicopters, ships, tanks, planes, and a bunch of other stuff. But canned milk.. heh! We got TONS of that!

Anyway... Canada does not use the Leopard 2..yet. However, the C2 Leopard is NOT the Leopard II. Canadian military equipment usually have a C-something designation kinda like how the Americans are M-something. C7 is the designation for our version of the M-16 for example.

C2 is the designation for the original Leopard Tanks in inventory that were upgraded with digital fire control and thermal sites. Their turrets were replaced by surplus Leopard 1A5 turrets purchased from Germany. They are expected be replaced in around 2010, but I don't see it happening... at least not while we have a Liberal government.

On various web sites I have found the C1 tank and on a few others I found the description of the upgrade. (includeing pics) I should have mentioned this at the start.

"The C1 Leopard Tank is Canada's only MBT in it's Arsenal. This MBT was developed in Germany. All of Canada's Leopard where assembled right here in Canada under license. Canada purchased 127 Leopard's in 1978. The Leopard will under go an upgrade to A5 status to extend their life. At the time that Canada order these tanks they where consider one of the best in the world. But times have change and it's no secret that the Leopard 1 tank is way to old for a modern Army like Canadian Army. With the upgrade it is very possible that this tank will be replaced well into the next century around 2010. There are 114 tanks in service including 20 in reserve."

"Shown is a Canadian Leopard 2 outfitted with Add-On Armour designed to enhance protection. This is not the standard armour, and apparently the new A5 turrets are significantly different. In the next couple years all Canadian tanks will look like this."

If you have any sugestions, being that it is my first unit I would love to hear them.

well, apart from what I've posted already, from the picture of the upgrade it looks like the unit should be equiped with some sort of scanning/recon equipment

Very good work, this reminds me of my early work, the death animation is fine, though you may want to reduce the speed of the animation, otherwise its over much too quick (the panzer death is 15 fames, at 50% speed). I have a sheet of animated explosions if you want it.

What animationprogram are you using? Moray/povray?
Try setting the camera to an Isometric rendering view rather than a Conical (perspective) view, all the scenery in Civ III is isometric so having artificial perspective on the units doesn't look right. If you cant swith to isometric, try moving the camera much further away and using a high zoom setting, things far away have less perspective (this is the reasoning for CIV being isometric).
Also make sure your camera angle matches that used by the units in CIv III, all my original units before the Tiger I had the wrong camera angle, the correct one should be 60 degrees.

Here is a diagram on what angle the camera should be at (remember to create a second camera for rendering as well as the one you use for view in the objects, soom programs won't let you render through the viewing cameras but some will; a second camera can be set and left static). You haowever may want to set the camera further fromt he model (I meant to post this in your earlier thread, but my server was down);

Looks really good :) Does this mean I can stop my Leopard 2 project :lol: I may have been upstaged :goodjob:

actually, Smoking Mirror - could you post that sheet of explosions? Failing that, could you please email it to zulu9812@hotmail.com

Top Bottom