Limited effect from resources

Gufnork

Prince
Is it possible to in some way limit the effects you get from a resource? Like for instance cows can only increase health in 5 cities each or you could only have 20 units requiring iron per iron source. I'm guessing not, since I don't see how, but I'm new to modding. Maybe you have some ingenious idea.

The reason is that I've always disliked how having a single source of oil or iron can make or break a game. I like that resources are important and reasons to go to war over, but I think there should always be a reason to have more of a resource.

You hit the nail on the head Gufnork!!! This is one of the issues I've alway's had with the game. If you have one oil resource you can build hundreds of oil consuming units with it? Even if you lose the oil resource your units that you have already built can still function like normal. If this could be fixed to some sort of "upkeep" system for the resources it would add a ton of complexity and strategic importance to the resources in the game.

I like the idea of decreasing units combat stats if they go over the unit limit per resource.

Something like this almost has to be possible. Have you noticed that there is a limit on how many missionaries of a certain religion you can have built at the same time? I think it is 4. Same thing with spies.

But don't you think this will just stop trade from happening? There's no way that a civ with 2+ irons would trade them anymore.

The only issue is telling/changin g the AI to understand that it needs more resources for more production which would mean editing the AI with the sdk

That is true. The AI would gladly trade away their extra resources not knowing that they now need them. It would be possible without the SDK, but MP games only as the AI would be totally gimped.

hmm... as a temp. way, until the sdk comes out, you could have multiple resources with the same name and effect, so the AI wouldn't trade them away. IE, you create 30 seperate entries for iron, all with the same name, and then allow only one per map. The only problem would be when doing diplomacy you would have so many resources cluttering everything up. Maybe there would be some way to mod the diplomacy screen so that if you have multiple resources w/ the same name it only shows one.

This would be a messy solution, but it might work.

Edit: I was assuming that you could find some way to limit unit per resources. One way might be to take the code from the missionary and do something like 10*numofplayeriron. Can you do something like that in xml? Or is there a way to do it in python without the sdk?

The problem is getting happy face and health resources to only affect a limited amount of cities. I mean, how do you decide which cities that get the benefit?

As for the AI issue, it will be moddable at one point, so that only delays the plan. Besides, having only one resource wouldn't be gamebreaking, it would only be a slight disadvantage.

Top Bottom