• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Looking for Unit Balance Opinions

evanbgood

Chieftain
I'm currently working on my first mod, "Military Tweaks", designed to produce some unit balance and extra tactical options in the military game. I haven't quite gotten the feedback on it yet that I was hoping for, so I thought I'd ask for some opinions here.

I'm working on three versions of this mod, one just to address simple issues, one to make more drastic changes, and one for experimental and large-scale modification. Currently, I'm putting my focus into getting some solid results from my "Medium Impact" version. For reference, here are my current changes:

Spoiler :
This is currently the most stable version of the mod. Medium Impact adjusts the costs and the abilities of several different units and streamlines the upgrade tree to make every unit in the game upgradeable to the modern era.
Horseman/Companion Cavalry:
- Horseman Cost Increased to 100 from 80
- Horseman Movement Reduced to 3 from 4
- Companion Cavalry Movement Reduced to 3 from 5 (keeps combat advantage)
- Horseman and Companion Cavalry have a 40% penalty to city attack (same as tank)
- Penalty does not currently carry over to knights, lancers, or cavalry, but this might change in a future version.

Ironclad:
- MAJOR CHANGE: Ironclad can attack twice per turn.
- Ironclad has an "Iron Armor" trait that increases ranged defense by 25%
- Ironclad production cost slightly reduced to 200 from 220
- Loses double attack with upgrade, no movement increase due to upgrade (see below)
- Rationale: The initial idea of this change was to represent the ironclad's dominance over wooden ships, particularly due to its ability to deflect cannonballs. The double shot also reflects the increase in cannon power of that age, as well as giving it a unique in-game usefulness beyond a simple strength increase.

Tank/Panzer/Modern Armor
- All tank variants receive a unique "Thick Armor" trait that increases both ranged and normal defense by 33%
- Tank/Panzer cost greatly reduced to 370 from 450
- Modern armor cost greatly reduced to 570 from 700
- Rationale: The idea here was to make tanks act like... well... tanks! Their combat strength is useful already, of course, but their lack of defensive abilities made them strangely weak compared to the infantry of their eras, while their great cost and reliance on oil further reduced their appeal. An all-terrain boost to defense is something no other unit has, and fills a unique role as a unit that can both hit-and-run and soak up damage for the units behind it.

Chariot Archer/War Chariot/War Elephant
- All chariots can now move after shooting, like other cavalry
- Rationale: There have been debates in the usefulness of chariot archers, but I thought they needed a little tiny boost to ever be considered over standard archers, and to reward players who have early access to horses. This gives them a hit-and-run tactic, making them especially dominant on flat land.

- All units should be upgradable, meaning you're no longer forced to keep or disband crossbowmen and lancers when jet fighters are in the sky. As always, all upgrades have a hefty cost and require strategic resources like any produced unit.
- Scouts can now upgrade to archers without goody huts! (They lose their fast-travel abilities, but can keep survival and visibility promotions)
- Crossbowmen (and unique variants) can upgrade to cannons.
- Ironclads can upgrade to battleships (they lose the double attack and iron armor advantages in this mod).
- Bombers (and the B17) can upgrade to stealth bombers
- Submarines can upgrade to nuclear submarines
- Lancers and Cavalry (and all unique variants) can become tanks.
- Many units go obsolete when their new replacements become available (they can still exist, but can not be produced in cities). This does not include the scout/archer upgrade.

Known Issues being worked on:
- Buying the upgrade from scout to archer is far too cheap

Possible future tweaks:
- Adjustments to the anti-tank unit to increase their usefulness when countering the tank's superior defense
- Adjustments to carriers to increase their usefulness
- Adjustments to catapults, and possibly all artillery, to increase usefulness in aggressive warfare
- Lots and lots of balancing.

Though I'd like some feedback on everything, I have a few questions in particular that I'd like opinions on:

1. Horsemen. In the base game, what makes them feel too powerful?
2. Should all cavalry (with the exception of one unique unit that has a bonus) be poor at attacking cities? Should just horsemen?
3. Are swordsmen useful enough to justify production over pikemen and mounted units?
4. Catapults, are they underpowered? Is artillery in general underpowered? One big thing I'm considering: would making all artillery across the board, from catapult to rockets, have 3 range, would this be unbalanced? Keep in mind that earlier units would require line of sight, while artillery and rocket artillery would not.
5. What role should the ironclad have? Would a massive combat boost vs. wooden ships be appropriate as well as useful?
6. If carriers were more difficult to destroy (the same defensive powers as a battleship or missal cruiser), would they be more practical in the game? If not, what would help? Would a reduction in production cost be useful?
7. I've determined that a scout upgrading to an archer for 100 gold is overpowered. Would a scout upgrading to a warrior for 40 gold, available at the beginning of the game, feel overpowered? Note, this is 20 gold cheaper than buying the warrior from a city, but takes one extra turn.
8. Should unit upgrades cost more money across the board? (Seems much easier to do code-wise than to adjust individual cost)
9. Does the ability for a chariot archer to move after attacking make them sound valuable enough to reward early horse resources? Did they feel powerful enough to begin with? Do they need ranged upgrade options to compete with archers?
10. Tanks. Are they too expensive to be viable? Does the added defensive power already in the mod make them sound more useful? Are tanks and modern armor less useful than infantry and mechanized infantry? What role do you wish to see in a Civ V tank?
11. Do the upgrades in my mod (cavalry to tank, crossbow to cannon) sound too powerful? Would they be more balanced if they cost more? Do you prefer some units to simply go obsolete, or would you rather be able to upgrade the same unit for the entire span of the game?
12. Are there any military units in the game that I haven't yet mentioned that you think aren't worth producing in any situation?

Thank you in advance for your opinions! I'm having a lot of fun modding, but I want to make sure I'm doing it in a way that everyone will enjoy!

Top Bottom