LoR Finnish translation

Merri

Warlord
This is a summary of the translation progress to both keep you and myself updated on what is going on.

Goals:
  1. DONE! Edit all files in LoR\Assets\XML\Text to include Finnish tags
  2. DONE! Include existing Finnish translations
  3. DONE! Make a test run to see whether the modifications work or not
  4. DONE! Figure out how to make all the strings work in the game
  5. Translate all the remaining untranslated strings (go for 100% translated)
  6. Quality control: play and check for typos, incorrect or confusing translations etc.

The first two or three things should be done by this weekend (Sunday 2009-06-28), I hope. Translating everything that is still missing will take a lot more time, and I probably have to make a simple tool that will find all the untranslated or unchanged strings so that I don't have to go through line by line when trying to cover the 100% translated goal.

Update on 2009-06-28
The Finnish language is now working perfectly fine! I can play a game with it, I can start a game with it, all the strings that work in the English version work in the Finnish version etc.

The download is attached below for those who want to test the translation at this point. It must be extracted to C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\LoR\Assets\XML – make sure you backup or rename the old Text folder before extracting!

Sweet! One thing you can do that will just help LoR in general (don't invest time in it, just if you come across it), is if you see repeat entries (I know there are a couple strings which are in GameTextInfos_BTS, and GameTextInfos_Objects), you can delete one of the entries. There only needs to be one of the same string defined in the text files, having two doesn't bug out or anything, but it can cause problems when editing later, so if you come across repeats, feel free to cut one of them, and just leave a single entry.

I guess that would be easy enough, I could sort all the Tag IDs alphabetically to make it pretty much a piece of cake :) I've ended up doing some work with OpenOffice's Calc, importing data via clipboard and then doing some magic tricks to get Finnish tags to match with the English ones. Tons of data in different order, and of course missing stuff thanks to modding.

I'll correct any issues I can see, and also make the files as logical as possible (for example I've moved some comments so that they always appear first).

Awesome, thanks :goodjob:

After thinking a while I noticed it gets quite messy if I don't keep up a proper table somewhere so that I know what I still need to do.

Attached is an OpenOffice ODS-file that contains a listing of all the language files that will be included in LoR. Should be helpful in case someone else also starts a translation project, or if an existing language will be imported into LoR later on. Although I guess any other major translation attempt needs to wait until I'm done to avoid duplicate work.

Bolded filenames = new files to LoR
Ignore = files I do not need to pay attention to (exist modified in LoR)
X = files that need my attention

phungus: I found a difference in Civ4GameText_Misc1.xml, in the Finnish file there was a key TXT_KEY_BFEA_DESCRIPTION which does not exist in LoR's file.

Edit!
A mistake, it is in Civilization IV's own files not LoR's so the difference is in the Finnish file. I don't know why it is added there.

phungus420: I now have edited all the files to have the Finnish tags and I can start the game and switch the language to Finnish, but after that point it doesn't work so fine: there are tons of strings missing even though all strings should be defined in the files. Also, all the other five languages seem to work just fine. I'm unable to see any mistakes in the edited files: I've dealed with ÄÖäö issue by using the &#XXX; notation, I've checked that there is no UTF-8 in the files and the XML files should all be well formatted.

Apparently there is more into this modding that meets the eye on first glance. Do I need to define the new files into use somewhere? Files such as the Misc1.xml doesn't seem to have it's Finnish contents visible anywhere. In the other hand even files that should be in, such as the BUG mod, seem to have lots of missing strings.

Attached are the modified language files contained in the Text folder. Remember to backup/rename your old folder first :)

Edit!
Error fixed, see first post for a download.

Big news! The Finnish language is now a fully playable option! Tons of strings remain untranslated, but this far I haven't had any game crashing issues. The first post is updated with a download.

I did indeed have some errors remaining in the files that I simply had to find out. There were some tags that had remained stating <English> &#8211; forgetting just once was enough for program to mistag a whole bunch of strings. Also, there were some Finnish tags missing entirely. I went through all the files manually and as that wasn't enough, I also made a program for myself that analyzed through each XML file to tell me of any missing tags.

Anyways, phungus, these are the files you can now use to replace the existing LoR language files :) I keep on working editing the Finnish strings only from now on, and I keep reporting on duplicate tags if I find those (I didn't bother with the sorting after all, but I may do that later on).

Edit!
Whoa, it must be many years since I last time had this many posts in a row in any thread in any forum. Sorry if this bothers someone :p

Awesome. This will be included in the patch. I'm waiting on glider to get back to me about the space race issue (SDI functionally replacing the Apollo Program) to release a patch. Finish will be included in that patch :)

Top Bottom