• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Lowering Graphics Setting????

Steiner-Davion

Warlord
:confused:

How do you lower the game's graphics setting before you actually load the game to play it? I have looked through the .ini file but failed to find the relevant line in it.

I have an older Laptop with a crappy Video card, but have managed to play CIV4 and Warlords on it on the LOW graphics setting, but I can't even get BtS to load far enough so that I can change the graphics settings via the main menu options.

Error message regarding lack of video memory

I think this error message is just windows saying that the game exited on its own because it coujld start properly or something. (ie not really worried about this one)

update DX9 ?

If you haven't already (as HiroHito is rather cryptically suggesting) update your DirectX9 to the latest version, updated DirectX9.0c from June. Just google search words to that effect or go looking on Microsoft and you'll find it.

Well I got it to work. I went into the ini file, turned off the intro movie. Started Game, Game loaded just fine, then I went to options turned it to low and then restarted Game, and Updated te Game, and have been playing ever since.

And I already have DirectX 9.0c

How do you lower the game's graphics setting before you actually load the game to play it? I have looked through the .ini file but failed to find the relevant line in it.

I have an older Laptop with a crappy Video card, but have managed to play CIV4 and Warlords on it on the LOW graphics setting, but I can't even get BtS to load far enough so that I can change the graphics settings via the main menu options.

Error message regarding lack of video memory

I think this error message is just windows saying that the game exited on its own because it coujld start properly or something. (ie not really worried about this one)

I got a very similar error after playing over two hours. Please see the following thread:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=233408

Well I got it to work. I went into the ini file, turned off the intro movie. Started Game, Game loaded just fine, then I went to options turned it to low and then restarted Game, and Updated te Game, and have been playing ever since.

And I already have DirectX 9.0c

I also have DirectX 9.0c and received a very similar error. It might be a bug. :(

Just to clear up a little confusion, directx 9.0c has been out for a long time now BUT it's been getting little updates every couple of months so you may still need to redownload. I've no idea why they don't change the name to 9.1 or 9.0d or something, it's silly.

I've got the same situation and error. It's happened several times now, rather annoying.

I used to get this error when I played Vanilla/Warlords on my old laptop. The solution was to roll back to an older set of graphics drivers.

I get this error on both my machines. Dropping graphics down to "medium" and disabling the movies seems to work, but this is issue is very annoying and needs fixing. I didn't have this issue with Vanilla and Warlords.

Yeah. I played vanilla and Warlords on Medium with some options such as battle-zooming turned off (I use a laptop with a fake integrated graphics chip), and all was fine. With BtS though, I kept getting this error (sometimes it crashed the game, sometimes not). I changed the setting to Low graphics with some extra features turned on such as GP effects, and all has been fine since. It's kind of sad to have to roll back the graphics level another notch though.

I got this error as well after playing my first BtS game for ~30 minutes. :(

I get this error on both my machines. Dropping graphics down to "medium" and disabling the movies seems to work, but this is issue is very annoying and needs fixing. I didn't have this issue with Vanilla and Warlords.

After using a mem checker, reinstalling DirectX 9.0c and getting new video card drivers, the solution was to drop the graphics down to "medium". I had to do this on my laptop for vanilla but never for my "main" pc. Very annoying! :mad:

I keep having CTD's left right and center, but only with the mods. The main game seems to be fine, but when I go into the mods the leaderheads don't look right (eg I only see eyeballs) and there are frequent CTD's. So far this has happened for:

RFC
Final Frontier
Crossroads
Charlemagne

It is very annoying and I can't play any of these mods. I will try installing the latest NVidia drivers and directX 9.0c. But I don't really understand what the problem is- I already have all the graphics options set on "low" and despite my crappy video card both Vanilla and Warlords worked just fine, so why is Bts playing up?

So I installed DirectX 9.0c and the latest drivers for my video card today. No apparent effect- the problem remains:( .

I'm getting this same issue (Except my error is in NiDX9SourceTextureData.cpp on line 314). I'm running Athlon64 3500+ 2.21Ghz, ATI RADEON x300 SE 256MB, WinXP Pro SP2.

I've tried updating my drivers, uninstalling and reinstalling my drivers, using the Omega drivers, changing graphic settings to low in-game, installing patches, updating DirectX, and pretty much anything else that was recommended for this problem. No matter what I do, after a few hours of gameplay, the game crashes, AND this is without installing Warlords or BtS yet.

It's really annoying, especially since every time the game crashes, it totally wrecks my video drivers. Every time the game crashes with this error, my computer switches the graphics to 640x480 at 8-bit color. And if I restart my system I have to use WinXP's "VGA boot mode" option to use my system or all I get is a black screen with a mouse pointer on it. I've had to uninstall and reinstall my Catalyst drivers three times now.

And it looks like people have been having this problem for years now for Civ4 and its expansions. I came here hoping for help, but it looks like all that is happening is that people are being redirected from one topic to another in the hopes that someone else will take the burden of this problem off the game makers shoulders. You'd think a fix would have been found by now. I've never had this kind of problem playing AOE3 or AOE3 Warchiefs before, and the graphics on that are on par with, if not higher than, those of Civ4. What is up with this?

Welcome to PC world, were nothing ever seems to work right, can sympathise i downloaded a update for battlefield 2142 a while back an then had to spend all saturday reading through text files an installing/uninstalling various bits of software that had all worked fine before.

So you know what I mean then. You would think after ALL this time, they'd try to work on the problem.

Top Bottom