[R&F] Loyalty mechanic provides a nice way to make units elite and shoot for a GA or prevent DA...

mikal768

Chieftain
Hadn't seen any threads about this, but found it to be interesting as a way to get those few extra points you need to make it to a Golden Age, or to avoid a Dark Age, as well as to maximize promotions on units.

I settled a city in an open area between two other Civs due to wanting to play around with the loyalty mechanics (it had a few luxuries in the area that I could improve as well as a nearby city with Bread and Circuses I could implement.)

Loyalty dropped like a stone and the city revolted. I was clearing out barbarians in the region with some units so sent them over to the city and I noticed that instead of Barb XP of 1, the units for the city provided full XP as if they were another Civ. In addition, attacking the city also provided full XP.

So I retook it, and noticed a +1 historical score increase.

I let the city flip again, this time surrounded by units I wanted to promote. Lo and behold, city flips, and has some units I can easily pick off. Wash, rinse repeat about a dozen times before I got bored with it, and I had several units with full promotions and more than enough points to provide a Golden Age.

Dunno if or when they'll patch it, but if you ever need to have a feeder area for either promotions or the like, seems like it could be a good idea to create a city you just know will break away, to provide your armies "practice".

I'm going to try a new game and get a Warlord's Throne next, and see if the +20% production boost occurs when taking the free city. My guess is it does. If so, a semi regular boost to all production for all my "loyal" cities seems kind of nasty, especially when combined with Magnus, Lord of the Harvest.

Top Bottom