Things You Noticed Just Now

Even with 100s or 1000s of hours playing this game there's always new stuff you're just learning about.

For example, it took me an embarrassingly long time to learn that you could view a unit's promotions here:
1693544402381.png

And view its XP here:
1693544492074.png

Or that when hovering the cursor over the city label, the label is highlighted by the secondary colour of the civilization's jersey:
1693544614653.png

1693544637833.png

You can double click a policy card to slot/unslot it (although the text on the placeholder says drag and drop here).
Spoiler SCREENSHOT :

1693812469141.png

You can click on the various city banner icons to go to different city screens:
Spoiler SCREENSHOTS :

1693812594208.png

1693812618999.png

1693812647655.png

1693812681662.png

1693812704063.png

The unit panel displays only 4 unit stats, but some units have 5, for instance the GDR looks like this:
1693813081716.png

It does not mean that GDR has no melee strength. It does.

Last edited:
If you've built a mine on a hill before a particular ore is available (say coal or uranium), the tailings of the mine model seem to match the future, undiscovered ore. I've had this happen with Uranium and Aluminium in recent games.

You could probably fudge it to see for yourself using the Firetuner, I couldn't find any screenshots.

Moderator Action: Quote of bot removed. leif
I know my post is slightly out of topic but considering the states of the topic it could still be in, I guess. As to my post being graphical, there's no mention of it in the states of the topic, so I guess to each ones its delusions.

Last edited by a moderator:
A bit off topic but help!

I seem to be the only one that doesn't know how to use that map tacks mod properly. I just don't get it! I click on a hex for map tack - now what? How does the mod help?

I know this post makes me look incredibly stupid! :blush::)

A bit off topic but help!

I seem to be the only one that doesn't know how to use that map tacks mod properly. I just don't get it! I click on a hex for map tack - now what? How does the mod help?

I know this post makes me look incredibly stupid! :blush::)

It needs a second mod to work. Better Report Screen I think. (It should say in the workshop description which one).

You don't need to do anything. You place map tacks and it will tell you the adjacencies you would get if it were a district. It takes other map tacks into consideration as well when considering adjacencies.

I noticed just now that Valmiki's great works of writing provide +4 Culture and +4 Tourism, rather than +2, +2. And this is apparently the case for every Great Writer in the Babylon Pack. It's really bugging me :p

All Great People from the Babylon Pack are, arguably, better:
- Great Writers (Valmiki, Rumi, Beatrix Potter and Gabriel Mistral) grants 4 Culture and Tourism instead of 2.
- Great Artists (Kamāl ud-Dīn Behzād, Hasegawa Tōhaku and Wassily Kandinsky) grants 4 Tourism instead of 2, and do not follow the Portait / Landscape standard format (real painting size instead of 4:3 standing/laid ).
- Great Musicians (Dimitrie Cantemir and Scott Joplin) creates 3 Great Works instead of 2.

But the worst of them is probably Stamford Raffles: he allows to annex a City-states you are Suzerain, as if you were a rubbish Maria Theresa. Why would I want that? I tell you why: to make sure the AI don't get their hand on him.

His destiny is to be used as lure bait for the AI during war.

I admit that I don't play around with unique suzerain improvements very often, but I had no idea that Moai could be built on tiles that were not adjacent to water, until yesterday.

I see... You thought the Moai improvement will behave like the Polynesian's unique improvement in V. It was a Culture improvement that needed to be adjacent to Coast. Both gain additional Culture per adjacent Moai.

VI' Moai has no longer that requirement, but do enjoy +1 Culture if it adjacent to a Coast or Lake. The requirements are both being on Plains/Grassland (no Desert, Tundra or Snow)*, and not adjacent to Woods/Rainforest. It has an exception: they are allowed on Volcanic Soil, and gain +2 Culture on it.

They are very potent Culture, therefore Tourism, generators.

Here something from me:
- You can attack religious units inside a City-Center if you are at war with them. When you defeat the enemy religious unit, you don't go inside the enemy City-Center.
- Your 3-promotions Spies can level up one more time with the Terracota Army. It even allows to pick a 4th promotion. Sadly it doesn't work for Rock Bands, which cannot go to level 5 (level 4 didn't have Promotion anyway).
- It is possible to get reliably a Builder with 9 charges, and many with 8. It is achievable when you unlock Civil Engineering during the turn. It allows to slot both "+2 charges" cards for the current turn. Pyramids and Liang allows to get to 8 and 9 respectively. Qin Shi Huandi (Mandate of Heaven) can get 9 and 10 charges builder instead.
- Mausoleum at Halicarnassus' additional charge on Great Engineer is dynamic. It would increase when built or conquered even the charge of already recruited Great Engineer. It would also decrease when lost (conquered, rising sea). That way, it is possible to have Great Engineer with 0 charge (so worthless) if you use all but 1 charge, then lose the ownership of wonder.
- Siphoning Gold with Spies is made weaker when they takes less times to do the mission. It is because they are stealing the GPT of the city for the duration of the turn. If you have -100% on Spies, then you will Siphon 0 gold as it is 0 turns of GPT.
- It is possible to put a Château on a Floodplains, even if there is no adjacent resources.

I just realised that every Civ in the game has a Unique Unit and Unique Infrastructure (Unique Building/Improvement/District). Unlike in Civ 5 where some Civs had just 2 Unique Units.

Which is impressive, because it means that the developers really made an effort to make sure that each Civ was following the Unit + Infrastructure rule. But also slightly disconcerting, because it means I'll have to revisit my civ designs in the 'Design Your Own Civ' thread

I just realised that every Civ in the game has a Unique Unit and Unique Infrastructure (Unique Building/Improvement/District). Unlike in Civ 5 where some Civs had just 2 Unique Units.
And some have 2 units or infrastructure which come with leader abilities, or their unique unit can build them.
Civ 4 had it too and I prefer this to civs having 2 UUs and no unique infrastructure.

And some have 2 units or infrastructure which come with leader abilities, or their unique unit can build them.
Civ 4 had it too and I prefer this to civs having 2 UUs and no unique infrastructure.
I am afraid this policy would mean some potential civs getting cut out; it's much easier to come up with unique units than unique infrastructure

I am afraid this policy would mean some potential civs getting cut out; it's much easier to come up with unique units than unique infrastructure
Fairly sure Outbacks aren't a "real thing" per say and Devs came up in order to make Australia unique enough.

I mean just look at the buildings in Civ 4 that were unique. A lot of them were just sybmolical (Mint for Mali).

Top Bottom