Lua problems

Skaz881

History Major
In order to have a balanced game, I added the resources from my pack to Barathor's pack. But when I launch a game, the map is completely hidden, it's on the barbarian's turn and I get the "you have been defeated message". What did I miss in the Lua code? (My Lua log is in the More Luxuries thread, it won't let me upload it here as well).

:dubious: Dang that's a lotta errors...

Let's break this down:
You have a lot of syntax errors that follow this pattern:
Code:
Syntax Error: C:\Users\Sarah\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\More Luxuries (v 152)\Lua\AssignStartingPlots.lua:761: '}' expected near '10'
Meaning on line 761 you forgot an end curly bracket somewhere.

Then there a runtime errors, which I'm guessing probably results from the syntax errors, but that's guesswork. Did you attach the actual lua files anywhere with your changes?

I attached the Lua file that I changed to the opening of this thread.

Ah. You weren't missing a curly bracket, but there is something else wrong with that line...
Let's compare it with the line above which works totally fine:
Line 760 (Functional) Line 761 (Malfunctional)
Code:
	[COLOR="Green"]{self.emeraldz_ID,  10},[/COLOR]
	[COLOR="Red"]{self.sapphirez_ID  10},[/COLOR]
Spot the difference!

Thank you, I have it working now!

Ah. You weren't missing a curly bracket, but there is something else wrong with that line...
Let's compare it with the line above which works totally fine:
Line 760 (Functional) Line 761 (Malfunctional)
Code:
	[COLOR="Green"]{self.emeraldz_ID,  10},[/COLOR]
	[COLOR="Red"]{self.sapphirez_ID  10},[/COLOR]
Spot the difference!

The comma! The comma!
What do I get, Mr. AW? :dance:

The comma! The comma!
What do I get, Mr. AW? :dance:
Life experience :cooool:
*class groans because that's the least desirable reward*

I spoke too soon, now I'm getting this error!
Code:
Runtime Error: C:\Users\Sarah\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\More Luxuries (v 152)\Lua\AssignStartingPlots.lua:8448: attempt to compare nil with number
stack traceback:

So it seems I was wrong about my problems being over, because no sooner did I solve one problem than another one appeared. Now no resources are spawning and I'm getting this error:
Code:
Runtime Error: C:\Users\Sarah\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\More Luxuries (v 152)\Lua\AssignStartingPlots.lua:8448: attempt to compare nil with number
stack traceback:
	C:\Users\Sarah\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\More Luxuries (v 152)\Lua\AssignStartingPlots.lua:8448: in function 'AssignLuxuryToRegion'
	C:\Users\Sarah\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\More Luxuries (v 152)\Lua\AssignStartingPlots.lua:8657: in function 'AssignLuxuryRoles'
	C:\Users\Sarah\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\More Luxuries (v 152)\Lua\AssignStartingPlots.lua:11436: in function 'PlaceResourcesAndCityStates'
	Assets\DLC\DLC_SP_Maps\Maps\PangaeaPlus.lua:1340: in function 'StartPlotSystem'
	Assets\DLC\Expansion2\Gameplay\Lua\MapGenerator.lua:815: in function <Assets\DLC\Expansion2\Gameplay\Lua\MapGenerator.lua:779>
	=[C]: ?

The More Luxuries thread has my attachments.

You attempted to "compare nil with number" on line 779 of MapGenerator.lua (It may actually be at line 8448 of ASP.lua; I can't recall :lol:). This usually happens when you have a variable that has a chance to not become initialized. When the function that compares said variable gets called and the variable wasn't initialized it throws this error. Either your variable isn't working as intended, or it is working as intended, but you forgot to check that it was initialized (myVar ~= nil) before comparing it.

Moderator Action: Merged the two threads about the lua errors that Skaz881 is experiencing; it's more beneficial to have them together so that others can see the history of the issue (it could be, for example, that what was suggested as a fix for issue #1 also causes issue #2).
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Which just leaves me very confused because at line 8448 there is this code
Code:
if self.luxury_assignment_count[res_ID] < split_cap then -- This type still eligible.

Is "res_ID" getting set by a for loop? If so, then the loop is exceeding the number of indexes stored in that table causing the nil value.

Actually it turns out that the problem was being caused by a typo:blush:.

Top Bottom