Macedon in RTW

... the AI.
The macedonians were weakened in Patch 1.5 in particular because of the toning down of the cavalry in the game overall. Their bonuses were important, like the Lancer's... so the Macedonians were fairly powerful before, but now... despite the cheap phalanx unit, they are weak.

All the factions are subject to diplomatic maneuver... while RTW AI is pretty good overall, the diplomatic AI does actually work. Its just that it does not think ahead as much as a human does, nor take certain kinds of risks (and make certain sacrifices) that can (usually) get a high reward. The AI does "nothing wrong" technically, but just as mobility with units on the battlefield is under-valued in things like AI computations and auto-resolve, so is value in the diplomatic core, which is why the Macedonians (and others) can lose control of their wonder early in the game, for instance. :)

I've played about two campaigns of RTW and the rest on RTR. How can the diplomatic AI be good if it gives away wonders without a fight? My description of that would be a four letter word beginning with s.

How can the diplomatic AI be good if it gives away wonders without a fight? My description of that would be a four letter word beginning with s.
The AI does not give them away... you will negotiate & pay, but not with a big battle initially. The battle will come, however, unless you can make them a Protectorate (possible in some cases, but not always probable). That's presumabley the point of diplomacy, & why they put it into the game. Just like in Real Life, when diplomacy could help create/secure empires.

Diplomacy can accelerate the game, and if you use it a lot, it can accelerate it a lot. And if you do it early, you can fight the inevitable battles necessary to win the game in diverse places on the map, simultaneously... and fund them simultaneously, instead of the slowly building steamroller. You can get about half your goal of Provinces with diplomacy, but at much higher initial cost than that of battle losses -- how you deal with the Empire's finances after that sets the tone for how/if you can hold on to your diplomatic gains (which can be quite tough to do).

So I'm presuming you've tried (?) power diplomacy, and still prefer the sword from the gitgo... :cool:

starlifter said:
The AI does not give them away... you will negotiate & pay, but not with a big battle initially. The battle will come, however, unless you can make them a Protectorate (possible in some cases, but not always probable). That's presumabley the point of diplomacy, & why they put it into the game. Just like in Real Life, when diplomacy could help create/secure empires.
I find that diplomacy is only semi effective. With Macedon I find it far better when diplomacy occurs at the point of a lance, in this case a sarissa. However, when I fought the Seleucids, I had remarkable success pushing through Asia Minor, and after conquering most of modern day Turkey, they came and offered a cease fire. I countered with them becoming a protectorate, and from what it seemed, they pounced on that offer.

Diplomacy can accelerate the game, and if you use it a lot, it can accelerate it a lot. And if you do it early, you can fight the inevitable battles necessary to win the game in diverse places on the map, simultaneously... and fund them simultaneously, instead of the slowly building steamroller. You can get about half your goal of Provinces with diplomacy, but at much higher initial cost than that of battle losses -- how you deal with the Empire's finances after that sets the tone for how/if you can hold on to your diplomatic gains (which can be quite tough to do).
This is true, but once you get that steamroller goin', ain't nothin' gonna stop it!
I tend to be aggressive in taking Greece and the Ionian Coast, so you can secure an abundance of wealth, then switch over to diplomacy. This is thus far the easiest method I've done. I use force for these, then use diplomacy and military might quite evenly.

So I'm presuming you've tried (?) power diplomacy, and still prefer the sword from the gitgo... :cool:
I am very honorable in this game, I have yet to break an alliance, I'm always attacked first, which is insane for them to do. I risk a significant number of troops helping them win battles, and what do I get for it? I get knived in the back, at which time I "bury the sword up to the hilt in their liars guts!".

I only draw first blood initally for the Greek Territories, Ionia, and my shortgame goals (which I generally aim for even if I am playing a long game).

Top Bottom