Make it less time consuming

And I can't really see the problem with to many units to move! You do fortify your units in peace time? It sounds like people here are moving 400 units every turn, during the whole game! In wartime its only fun to have a lot of units, so what is there to complain about? If you wan't society building without a military, try Sim City!!!!!

Earlier I have suggested Risk for haters of complex military operations, that wants a minimum of tactical planning!

For me it's not that important how long it takes to play the entire epic game game, because I know how to save it! The important thing is the quality I'm expierencing each second of play. I dont care if a turn takes me 15 min in wartime, or 15 secunds in peaceful times, it makes sense, and its fun to really master the aspects of war.

And can anyone explain how the game can be balanced with super army units? ups, I lost my 4 armies the first turn of the war, I'm defenceless, what shall I do? build one and one unit, just to be crushed be unvinceble superhero armies?

What about an army consisting of 20 nukes with the capasity to whipe out the whole planet? Wouldn't that be easier then organizing 20 individual nukes? Would that be great for gameplay too?

Originally posted by Philips beard
[...]
And can anyone explain how the game can be balanced with super army units? ups, I lost my 4 armies the first turn of the war, I'm defenceless, what shall I do? build one and one unit, just to be crushed be unvinceble superhero armies?
[...]

This argument has been stated over and over again.

I remember the time when Tavis indicated a change of the combat calculation, and everyone was crying "What do I do if I loose?"

The game has to balanced as it has to be with every other stronger unit. Does the game become unplayable with cavalries on the opponent's side and not on your's? Do enemy tanks make you automatically loose the game?

No. You just have to find a strategy to cover your weaknesses. This you would have to do with a new army concept as well, so I cannot see any problem in this area....

I still cant see what countertactics a weak Civ can use against so simple battlesystems! Its like trying to win RISK with one unit left!

For me it's not that important how long it takes to play the entire epic game game, because I know how to save it!
You can save the game? :eek:
The important thing is the quality I'm expierencing each second of play. I dont care if a turn takes me 15 min in wartime, or 15 secunds in peaceful times, it makes sense, and its fun to really master the aspects of war.
For me, the quality I'm experiencing in those particular seconds that I spend clicking over and over again without thinking isn't particularly high.

Its very simple, really: too few units, and you're vulnerable to bad luck with the RNG, plus you can't plan any strategies. But too many units, and you waste time with repetetive actions. There is an optimal number in between, and many people here (myself included) think that the optimal number is lower than the number of units typically present in the later parts of Civ 3. Nobody's saying that the optimal number is 1. Or even 10. But we are saying it isn't 400. Nobody's saying that warfare should consist of loading all your units into a single stack and then attacking- win or lose with a single combat. Of course that would be dumb. What we're saying is that, if Civ 4 also involves 100s of units in the late game, then better ways to organize those units would make interersting strategies easier to execute.

Strategy involves doing different things with different units, right? I mean, if you make all of your units do exactly the same thing, that's not much of a strategy, and its not very interesting. But if I have 400 units, its not really feasible to do 400 different things with them. Usually many of them wind up doing the same things no matter how intricate my strategy is. If I could combine them into 10 or 20 stacks, then I can have those stacks all doing different things as part of my grand strategy, and it takes a lot less clicking. I like complex strategy, but 400 units doesn't lead to strategy, it leads to monotony.

And I can't really see the problem with to many units to move! You do fortify your units in peace time? It sounds like people here are moving 400 units every turn, during the whole game! In wartime its only fun to have a lot of units, so what is there to complain about? If you wan't society building without a military, try Sim City!!!!!

For me it's not that important how long it takes to play the entire epic game game, because I know how to save it! The important thing is the quality I'm expierencing each second of play. I dont care if a turn takes me 15 min in wartime, or 15 secunds in peaceful times, it makes sense, and its fun to really master the aspects of war.
However, the problem isn't so much the number of units in the game, but the sheer tedium of moving those units and sending them into battle one at a time.

A lock stacking ability can be used for combat - simply check off a box on the pulldown menu for all of the units you want to commit to battle and hit 'Attack'. Currently you have to activate the pulldown, scroll through the list to find the unit, and then send those units, ad nauseaum...

I would rather have the ability to quickly lock stack a selected group of units, send them into a battle, and have that battle resolved in a matter of seconds rather than take 15 minutes to send those units into battle one at at time.

Other games have a more streamline combat system, and it works beautifully.

The same concept for workers - lock stack a group, send it on its way, and then be able to give that locked group a single command to do something - not the current setup of giving each unit a build command. Ughhh....what a poor and inefficient interface setup.

Think about it - the same number of units are used, the considerations about which units to send are exactly the same, the combat resolution is the same, but the end result saves time - 14 minutes to be precise.

Time that would allow you to play more civ games, I might add...

The main problem with a locked stacked format (as it is in CTP2) is tied into the numerical unit cap that is in the game, (not the locking feature itself) which means that you do have to reorganize/relock stacks on an ongong basis. (At the same time, a hard numerical cap does not need to be part of the game either.)

However, this hardcap limitation does offers a greater diversity in strategic considerations, because having no limit on your stack means that you do not need to really consider stack composition.

A cap also means that you have to play more of a field game outside your cities - in civ3 your cities are your fronts.

I actually like the early micromanagement of workers etc up to around 1000-500bc, but after this it does get a bit too time consuming. I still try to micromanage a bit as it makes soooo much difference (eg getting cities not to waste too many shields). The later polution bashing is clearly silly and needs to be ended. Fortunately my recent games usually ended before this stage.

I do move a lot of units about, and rarely leave my military hanging around at home, and it is very time consuming, especially if there is a lot of island hopping to do. There must be some way to semi automate this. In modern war it can take ages to let all your artilliary have a go at the AI before you start the real assault.

Checking the diplo screen is clearly an avoidable hassle as Ainwood's utility could be incorporated into the game (and hopefully work).

I only wish to express my hope that things can be streamlined. I don't really see an easy way to do it without removing some of the charm of the game, but it would certainly help my sleep pattern. I guess if I played a bit more peacefully I would save time, but I like the wars.

Offa: In modern war it can take ages to let all your artilliary have a go at the AI before you start the real assault.

This is realistic! This is how the Great War was fought on the western front! Would you prefer your civ being crushed in a few turns instead?

Look at World War 2! USA was relativly weak militarily when she was attacked, but good defensive fighting gave her time to use its enourmous industry to build up a huge military!

How sad wouldnt a WW2 scenario be, with a ctp2 superarmy system instead of the "single regiment fighting" system in Civ?!
Boring and no challenge!

Offa: In modern war it can take ages to let all your artilliary have a go at the AI before you start the real assault.
How sad wouldnt a WW2 scenario be, with a ctp2 superarmy system instead of the "single regiment fighting" system in Civ?!
Boring and no challenge!
...and how equally boring it is to have to fire offf 50 Artillery, one at a time, and then send your units into battle, one at a time. Pull down menu, select, drag, pull down menu, select, drag...

Repeat, ad nauseaum.

Not if you have a masterplan behind it all! And I never have 50 artillery in one singel square! Wonder how your tactics are?!

I've had well over 50 artillery in a single square before. And I'd wager my tactics are FAR superior to yours.

It gets tedious very rapidly. A master plan is great, but it still often requires using lots of unit to destroy enemy stacks. And 50 artillery often isn't even enough to properly redline a city (or at least, it wasn't in PtW).

Like judgment said, when the list of units goes beyond what fits on the page, things are getting a bit painful. But nobody's proposed a good solution yet, that I can see. Just mentioning that the problem exists...

Arathorn

Originally posted by Arathorn
But nobody's proposed a good solution yet, that I can see.
Arathorn
Well, what's wrong with my solution???

Not if you have a masterplan behind it all! And I never have 50 artillery in one singel square! Wonder how your tactics are?!
There are very little tactical thought involved in a game when all you have to do is create massive Stacks of Doom (easy to do because your stacks can be unlimited in size), send them against a city, capture and raze it (because most likely, the corruption makes it practically worthless, and a raze preserves your army to continue forward).

Fill in the empty land with your own settlers after the war (prebuilt, of course)

Couple that with an infinite RR benefit, and civ3 loses all semblence of a war strategy game in the Industrial Age.

Honestly, flexibility. The same thing that I don't like about my locking stacks of artillery together and having them all fire.

I often position a stack in range of two (or even three) cities and will bombard one until it's properly red-lined, them bombard the other and will often go back and forth a couple times during my turn.

I send elites and vets in different orders to "fish" for leaders and depending on what the relative odds of success are. Sometimes leaders are more important and sometimes more survivors are important. With blitz units, sometimes I'll want to blitz, sometimes not, and sometimes I'll want to wait and see how others did or to get a weaker unit before blitzing.

I don't want the whole stack to move slowly through enemy territory, so I'll wait to move many of them until the city is razed or captured, so that I can get the benefit of (rail)roads and either defend the city better or leapfrog on to the next city. Depending on how the combat went, I'll make up my mind whether to try advancing or not. I have three or four plans in mind that I can use depending on the outcome of the battle.

[Note: I do this in all ages, but the contigency plans differ in scale/scope depending on the age. And it's not hard up until the Industrial Age, because stacks aren't usually overly large. Beachheads are, of course, an entirely different story.]

To sum up, I don't want to commit an arbitrary force to an arbitrary battle at the whims of the A-not-so-I....

That's the problem I see. Now, "worker gangs" have definite potential, as long as they're infinite ease in adding/subtracting workers so I don't have to waste worker turns.

Arathorn

Would it be too hard to just select all the units you want to attack with? If you want to bombard with all of those 50 artillery, you could select them (with shift) and then attack. This would make the artillery shoot away as many times as is needed to redline all the units in the city. If only 20 artillery are needed, 30 will remain for use. If you chose to bombard the city once again, it would then bombard the city (pop, imps...) with all the 30 artillery. Same with units: you could simply choose all your cavalry to attack consecutively. If the list of units was done with a little more care (alphabetic order to units, elites before veterans before regulars...) then shift-clicking would make it easy to attack with even 100+ units, if you had the desire.

This would of course be a good solution only if you had the option to either only see the results of the battles, to see no battles at all or see all the battles fought automatically (with perhaps a button to stop the assault if things went awry...?).

I haven't been frustrated with a lot of units because of stack movement. What really pisses me off is the absence of stack attack/bombard, which is only a logical thing to add! This could of course go with increasing the cost of modern units. I find it stupid to have my best cities produce MAs in two, or often in one turn. It would make it much more interesting, if the difference between the best units and the mediocre units was greater - both in cost and in efficiency.

This way, IMO, you could keep the original system of Civ, you would not experience such outrageous numbers of units in modern age, you could easily handle large number of units and you could automate your battles while still keeping tight rein on who's attacking who. It wouldn't perhaps be too much to ask if there were numerous options to attacks, like "bombard to redlined", "full bombard", "bombard damaged" (bombard until all units are damaged, but not yet redlined), "full attack with all offensive units", "full attack with [select units]" and so on and so on. The radial menu in Neverwinter Nights works brilliantly, by the way *winkwink*.

Now what am I missing here? Why is this solution bad? Because to me it sounds as the most rational and simple change one can do to eliminate this problem. That way it wouldn't be anymore tedious to attack with 50 units as it is to fortify them as it is (and they are tedious to fortify one by one!).

Go ahead. Shoot me.

EDIT: The increased cost of modern age units would also realisticly represent the fact, that it is not often enough to KNOW how to make modern armors, you must have the resources available. A small nation such as Finland has all the technology and know-how available to produce nuclear weapons, but it would be a hard work with the resources available, even if we wanted to. This way it became more important to outproduce your enemy. If your enemy builds only mediocre units because it hasn't got the industry to build the really good ones (as is realistic), then you can walk over them with just the fact that even if you are not technologically superior, you are productively superior. To represent this difference with the industrious civ having 300 tanks and the other 200 is just annoying and doesn't reflect the actual situation at all.

How/why is a lot faster to shift-click things into a set and then have those go do their thing than it is to find them and them do their thing (whether their thing be attack or redline or...)

What if my goals aren't always so black/white as redline/injure/destroy? How long am I going to have to spend in submenus to get anything close to what I want? How long is going to take to program options that might never get used?

Why would I accept something as broad as elites before veterans or veterans before elites? I'll often send a vet tank, two elite cavs and then an elite tank, then vet tanks for a while and then.... Well, I think you get the point. No, I don't accept the AI's ordering of units. I use "W"ait a lot. I wish it were better, but I don't think the proposed solution would be. It'd be exactly the same.

It would make it much more interesting, if the difference between the best units and the mediocre units was greater - both in cost and in efficiency.

Now...this idea has a lot of merit. There is a big jump in A/D/M values starting with infantry. I'd be very happy to see this jump continue to grow and costs increase significantly as well. How about tanks are 30/15/2 and cost 200 shields? We'd probably need one more defender between infantry and MI, but the potential is there... I'd also maybe make factories only give a 25% bonus to shield production instead of 50% and something similar for power plants to slow down the HUGE jump in production power and see what happens.

Overall, it feels that the game is very well balanced through the middle ages and starts loosening in the IA and is badly off-kilter by the MA. It's probably easiest to test the early stuff, so it gets the most tweaking. I hope for Civ4, the whole game will be more balanced.

Changes in this direction to get at what judgment and I are both saying (I think). Simply putting in a bunch of sub-menus and shift-enter adds and stack bombards is a kludge at best and gives the appearance of doing something without really helping matters -- at least, not for me.

Arathorn

Honestly, flexibility. The same thing that I don't like about my locking stacks of artillery together and having them all fire.
Arathorn
Read my post again...perhaps I shouldn't have used the word 'lock' and used the word 'group'
A lock stacking ability can be used for combat - simply check off a box on the pulldown menu for all of the units you want to commit to battle and hit 'Attack'.
My system is flexible because it allows you to select any number of units quickly and commit them to battle. The way I envisioned it, it can be set up to lock for just that turn, or for multiple turns with another checkbox. (as pointed out by Shyrramar)

What bothers me is that there is no way to preset a specific number of units into a locked group. Say I have a stack of 30 tanks and I need to send them in 2 directions. The game has no feature that allows me to preset 2 sets of 15 tanks each in case I want to split them - and if I do want to split them, I have to activate the stack 30 times and send each tank by itself. The current 'Move all units' (by type or stack) is an incomplete fix for this issue...

Since the game is built on the premise of infinite stacks, it is better to keep all units together to maintain the strongest defense rather than splitting into 2 separate stacks. Game design makes this the best way to protect your units, so that is what I need to do. But this decision creates more micromanagement, when a simple feature like 'lockstacking' would fix a lot of problems

What if my goals aren't always so black/white as redline/injure/destroy? How long am I going to have to spend in submenus to get anything close to what I want? How long is going to take to program options that might never get used?

Why would I accept something as broad as elites before veterans or veterans before elites? I'll often send a vet tank, two elite cavs and then an elite tank, then vet tanks for a while and then.... Well, I think you get the point. No, I don't accept the AI's ordering of units. I use "W"ait a lot. I wish it were better, but I don't think the proposed solution would be. It'd be exactly the same.

Yes, of course. Those were just examples of "quick tactics". They would not be all you could do. The "shift"-click and "control"-clicks would be your primary tools. No intelligent military campaign is based on some pre-designed options. By control-clicking you could choose whichever units you wanted and in whatever desireable order. With the AI-ordering I ment only the list. The list of units follows no logic that I have yet deciphered, I only made a statement about how it could be made so that units of the same kind are found all in one place. My suggestion is that you could choose first two vets to attack (so that you wouldn't be so devastated if they got themselves killed), then two elites to finish the defenders off. This could be done by simply choosing the vets first, then the elites, and then ordering them to attack.

Now, I understand your worries, I really do. Many tactics are so refined, that you must attack with one unit at a time to be satisfied. This is one thing that this suggestion does not take into account too well, but notice that it is supposed to be thought in conjunction with the latter idea of increased cost. I am sorry if I didn't manage to get this point across. Both ideas are insufficient to repair the problem, but together I think they could do it. You said that the game is very well balanced in the earlier ages, and I think you are right. Now the increased cost of units would make the modern ages more tolerable (I think they should be even more costly than your suggestion of 200, with 200 most of my cities would still produce them in two turns. With lowered factory-efficiency comes into play the problem of costly improvements. I wouldn't undermine the importance of factories, but keep the bonus. I would only fix the relational shield needs of modern age improvements and units), but there would still exist the problem of having 50 units (which is too much, as judgement pointed) attacking a city. This could be fixed to some extent by adding the choosing of multiple units (improved stack-movement/attack/bombard/workers). Together there would only remain the scenario where there's 50 units and you would for strategic reasons be forced to use them separately.

Is this a problem, then? As someone pointed out in some thread, the minimization of micromanagement and automatization of everything would only lessen the possibilities of tactics. One should indeed move one unit at a time to get the best results in a combat. Lessening the unit-numbers too much would shatter the feeling of great battles. Joining units into armies and divisions and others would result in the same complaints that you made about wanting to attack with two vets there, with one elite there, with the sassy regular there... If you want to control every little aspect of your battles, you should be allowed to. By making it possible to simply shoot the full load with your artilleries would fix the unnecessary micromanagement. I think most people are annoyed about this because they don't want to press the bombard button 50 times just to shoot with all the 50 artilleries, as they has planned to do from the start! I enjoy micromanagement in battles if it serves a purpose. Judging from your attitude, I think you do too. It wouldn't be as much fun to even script all your attacks into the game and then choose from them, now would it?

What I am arguing here is this:
First of all: both my suggestions should be implemented - implementing just the other would resolve only some problems, but would not be considered a fix to the problem at hand. So try to argue against it or for it keeping in mind that they must be taken together.

Secondly: Micromanagement is a good thing, when it serves a purpose, when there are tactics involved. Micromanaging something that you would like to do with one button (full load with your artillery) is not fun. Neither is micromanaging your citizens to get optional food, as there is very little tactics involved (and if there are, it's fine by me), only making them get the best out of the city. Micromanagement is a prerequisite to full out tactics and thus what separates the master from the amateur. Or would you recommend that a pianist should be able to switch the piano on automatic with the hardest technical parts, as he should only concentrate on the overall picture? Surely not.

Thirdly: Increasing the cost of modern units would create a greater gap between mediocre and premier units, thus perhaps resulting in people using modern armors only as one part of their armies, as they would be too expensive to wholly constitute your army. This would also lessen the number of units in game. As judgement pointed out, difference between, say, three units and eight units is huge (both in results and in tactics), but the difference between 50 and 70 is minimal. It is the percents that count: having unit ratio of 100:50 is in effect the same as in having 2:1, but not in tactics. Lesser numbers should be advocated. This is my aim with this part of the two-part idea.

Fourthly: Allowing the player to skip all tedious and mechanical strategies with automatic movement and choosing the units would eliminate the tedious micromanagement everybody is complaining about. Stacks are of no use when you want to move your units one by one, but neither should they be. The simple idea is to replace all repetitions of the same action with a single click. If you are not repeating anything, then there shouldn't be any automation, as that is certainly not what you are after.

Fifthly: I am not arguing that my system is perfect and most realistic of them all. I am arguing that it is simple, does not introduce any new concepts to the game, it is playable and most importantly: adequate. Go ahead, design unit-groupings and such, but remember that you are changing the game. You are adding concepts, thus increasing complexity. I am suggesting this because I see no real need for complex unit-groups. Civ's combat system is simple and good enough for a game like this. CTP proved that armies in such a way are a bad idea. Now you may decide what you want about this, of course, but keep in mind that I am only suggesting a simple, but effective solution. I'll leave the complex and realistic solutions to you people.

Hopefully I have somewhat cleared my views on this short explanatory post. :rolleyes:

Do we agree that....

- Reducing the number of units in the late industrial and modern age is probably a good goal.
- This reduction shouldn't decrease the relative power of the late-game units vs. the early game units.
- Eliminating tactical options is bad.
- The interface presented for grouping/ungrouping of units and how they move/bomb/attack is important.
- That forced over-grouping is a bad idea.
- That better sorting of units in a stack is a good starting point.

???

If so, I think we're doing pretty well.

Arathorn

Yes, I believe that we do :goodjob:

Top Bottom