Making the jump from Emperor to Immortal

Oracle is one of the possible ones in addition to being one of the better ones; but any wonder that delays your NC is not worth it in the long run.

I disagree, the science output of your capital for a very early national college is very small, so the 50% bonus is also very small. I'd rather have the oracle and the national college 10 turns later than the national college 10 turns earlier and no oracle.

immortal is really easy to catch up in tech (as opposed to deity)
the AI starts with one settler, same as you, so as long as your capitol with national college is bigger than theirs, you've just caught up, maybe as soon as classical or medieval. If you can get your cap to around 15+ pop around 100 turns, you're usually good to go.

To me emperor and immortal are pretty much the same.

NC or Oracle? For me, who likes doing 1 or 2-city NC, finishing NC means I can finally expand without worrying about satellite libraries. I want to get it out of the way as soon as possible.

If, by mistake, you accidentally settled before NC, just go for oracle while that satellite is trying to build its library.
90% of the time, Oracle will still be there even if you go NC first, and if not, it's not the end of the world. What's the end of the world is delaying your NC and then losing Oracle by a couple of turns.

Personally I'm a big fan of early NC for another reason: I cannot play comfortably without religion (or high-faith output from another AIs religion). Faster NC means faster Theology and a shot at the Hagia Sophia in case your terrain has a valuable game-breaking pantheon such as sun god or god of the sea, but has no faith output; this prevents your pantheon from dying out at least in your holy city. I'd rather take Hagia over Oracle any day.

Oh jeez this is gonna be hard to explain... :lol:

so basically the "production trick" is a little exploit used very early in the game to get a tiny bit more production on building or units.

when your city is 1 turn from growing you lock the tiles you're working (food)

put the city on production focus

when the citizen is born it will automatically go to the tile with the most production (most likely a hill)

which will add the hammers of that tile to what your city is building

after that you can move the citizen off the tile but still keep the extra 3 or so hammers from when it was born

at most it will shave off a turn but hey that's 1 less turn you don't have a granary.

I hope that made sense I'm sure there's a Youtube video on it or someone that can explain it better than me

Does this actually work? If so, very very cool stuff!

That one is almost impossible on Immortal other than weird occansions where all seven AIs went for some other early wonder.

Oracle is one of the possible ones in addition to being one of the better ones; but any wonder that delays your NC is not worth it in the long run. (Science is King)
Plus if you've gone standard Tradition and didn't turn save policies on, you now have three filler policies while waiting for Rationalism rather than two. (Unless you are playing Poland in which case between your UA and Oracle, you can probably finish a second tree entirely without delaying Rationalism)

I know I shouldn't really try to delay rationalism but with the oracle I normally try to grab up to mercantilism in Commerce if I plan on going Order. Or the science from city states in Patronage if I plan on going freedom all before Rationalism. Maybe its not worth it but Big Ben + Skyscrapers + Mercantilism is a power combination if you have a jungle or low production city. Plus should I be finishing Rationalism fully? I've been hearing that RA's are worth it even with the porcelain tower and Scientific Revolution. I normally only get Secularism, Humanism, and free thought before I get my Ideaology.

Moriarte LP Korea Domination. His turns to Artillery, you'll learn all to win your games in Immortal (or tommynt videos if you enjoy the silence).
Turns is just a competition with this forum. Win, with all civs in all maps and with any VC, specially culture, the hardest for me.
I realize RA's are more efficient if you don't end rationalism. After, AI seems to not allow RA's. Maybe cause ideologies.
Short SV are based on a good start, CSquest and ILTKD and... Caravans for science. On Emperor you don't have them. I never research sailing more since I moved to Immortal.
If I reach Education after T110, I know, I'll win after T280, and around T300 if I have no coal (80 % of my SV).
Two game before, I build successfully Chichen Itza. Mind myself : «Move to Deity».
Thanks Moriarte and tommynt.

I know I sound like a broken record but I can only repeat: watch deity LPs on Youtube. Not multiplayer. Yes MP wins are more impressive skill-wise, but it is played very differently- watch Elcee, Madjinn etc- they will also explain why the do and don't do certain things.

If you feel you have no idea what you should build in your city, that is a good indicator that you lost track of the red tape strategy which you need on immortal+. Ever had a massive army, losing at least 2 units per turn? You are doing it wrong. Think about every move. On emperor, it doesn't matter. Ever had workers just plop farms everywhere because after lux, you don't really know how to further maximize your play? Identify these situations- they are the weak spot.

Also something you will notice about deity players: they know 1. what the AI prefers to tech, 2. what they have already teched by looking at units, wonder pop-ups or (later on) spies to reveal the building order in the capital, and crucially 3. they know what tech will actually allow the AI to do what they are doing.

Knights, Lancers, Cavalry- do you know the difference by heart? For example, I used to blindly tech the bottom of the tree thinking that upgraded units are always superior to their predecessors. But when you can't be the tech leader throughout the game, how do you cope? Well, you have to know what units are vulnerable to others, their str/def and movement points. Deity players like to complain about how dumb the AI is, but let's face it, we players are even dumber when it comes to troop movement. How often do you send a unit around, not really knowing how many movement points they have left? Taking a chance, so to speak? I did that loads, and that cost me dearly. My first Immortal game I remember, I got mulled. Now, I can fight off Shaka with ease. It makes a difference, don't underestimate.

KNOW WHAT THE AI IS UP TO. Don't waste 35 turns on spying ending up stealing a 1-turn tech. Ouch! Check their social policies, their wonders. That tells you what victory they are likely to pursue. Be careful with diplomacy: if you have only one friend, try not to spy on him, use enemies first. Use the world congress votes to push civs into liking you. Don't prevent everything the AI wants. They have ridiculous bonuses anyway, extra culture for landmarks is not going to ruin your game- voting against it and pissing off people is getting you much more likely into trouble. Denounce before declaring war or before an AI is about to declare war on you, that gives bonus points if another civ denounces that same one.

An obviously, you can use "exploits" to ease into playing on a higher difficulty. Stealing workers from city states is shaving off alot of production, and if you feel you need to, you can trade GPT for Gold and then declare war, cancelling the GPT deal but retaining the gold. It is dirty play, but it might enable you to win the game, gaining experience in what you could have done so that you don't need to rely on an exploit.
Fyi: I play immortal- I lose on deity and win on emperor

Couldn’t agree more with watching the pros. I’ve followed Marbozir and by mimicking his approach have upped difficulty level each subsequent game. He demonstrates how to micromanage cities and workers, you can see how to systematically deploy a military campaign with minimal losses... it goes on. I like to find a video of the civ I want to try and follow his lead. I find you get so much more out of the game by delving ever deeper into the detail.
Also, Carl’s guides are indispensable as foundation knowledge.

So you are going to find a lot of different opinions here - see my posts on attempting to win on deity. Things I agree with for emperor (1) the production trick the overflow is a good idea but micromanaging the citizens is better - early on I leave it on food since pop is so important for science but quickly move to production focus if I am not micromanaging extensively. (2) Learn to worker steal from CS - yes it seems like an exploit but with the bonuses the AI gets on higher levels it is a necessity. (3) Choose civs that fit your playstyle. Are you war - don't choose a civ without good bonuses to war (and don't go for civs with only bonuses good early) also consider choosing pangea if you are war. Are you a science turtuler like me? Korea is god tier especially on continents. Don't expect though to win in a way the civ is not set up for. A culture win using Korea for example not really doable on emperor or above. (4) Learn to quickly evaluate starting positions and don't be afraid of rerolling. My posts on diety have some good advice on this front.

I'd love to play the same map as you if you want to put up a turn zero civ give advice as you go along.

@dwcole78 You do realise that the post above yours was in response to one written five years ago, right? I doubt that many of the posters are still here ...

Top Bottom