Mandatory unit retirement or upgrade

I find it peculiar to have Ancient Scouts and Archers still active when you've advanced your game well into the Information Era.
Well, you got it wrong. Those archers are actually training for the next World Games :p

Was it Civ 3 that had Leonardo's Workshop that gave you free unti upgrades when they became obsolete up to a certain tech?

That was a beast of a wonder :bowdown:

i know II had it, maybe III as well but i skipped III due to rl. yeah that was awesome, and remember Marco Polo's Embassy :lol:

oh wait, also, like even when you research the most hardcore cutting edge modern techs, it's still just a guy with a wreath on his head wearing a toga presenting it to you :lol::lol:

It would screw it pretty bad, given that such units exist even in the real world. For example:

Swiss Guard (halberdiers)
The Queen's Guard (riflemen?)
The US has some old Frigates that still go on ceremonial voyages and a Cavalry division that marches around in DC. Don't remember any names though (although I think the Cav division may just be the 1st Cavalry).

I don't find this unrealistic, or at least not any more unrealistic than there being only 1 library, 1 granary, and 1 market in modern Tokyo and New York.

Assuming the combat age for the men who makes up militias is between around ages 18 to 40, the average militia should see its entire force retire and need to be replace every half of a turn during the BC period and every 25 turns or so in the modern era. That doesn't happen because the game is an abstraction.

The US has some old Frigates that still go on ceremonial voyages and a Cavalry division that marches around in DC. Don't remember any names though (although I think the Cav division may just be the 1st Cavalry).

The USS Constitution is the last seagoing age of sail warship left in service, but let's not fool ourselves here, in a game of Civ that thing wouldn't actually be a military unit but a unique building, replacing the museum - could be a special action on units outdated by two eras, convert into museum and pay some gold to cover the costs, free museum in city.

as for the 1st Cav, that's an airborne infantry unit using helicopters and M109 self propelled artillery. Ie a modern combat division.

Slight change of topic but what annoys me is being unable to build an older unit if the resources to build a more modern unit are unavailable.

Not being able to build caravels if there is no oil for destroyers for example.

The USS Constitution is the last seagoing age of sail warship left in service, but let's not fool ourselves here, in a game of Civ that thing wouldn't actually be a military unit but a unique building, replacing the museum - could be a special action on units outdated by two eras, convert into museum and pay some gold to cover the costs, free museum in city.

as for the 1st Cav, that's an airborne infantry unit using helicopters and M109 self propelled artillery. Ie a modern combat division.
I looked it up. It's the 3rd Infantry Regiment. They'd be WW2 Infantry in game terms.

I'll never understand this "I have a weird and counterproductive habit when I play the game. I'm unwilling to change, but the game developers really should force me to anyway" sentiment.

What about giving a culture/happiness boost when units with a certain number of promotions are garrisoned in a city?

speaking of garrisonsn, a horribly outdated unit shouldn't give you the Tradition +50% Range strength or the happiness and culture bonus of Honor.

speaking of garrisonsn, a horribly outdated unit shouldn't give you the Tradition +50% Range strength or the happiness and culture bonus of Honor.
Why not? The culture and happiness bonus makes perfect sense with all the Honor Guard things we just talked about, and the range strength bonus makes even less sense when it's a melee unit unless you assume that it's meant to represent existing static defenses, in which case it doesn't matter what gear the unit was originally issued.

I could see an Honor tweak that's more like "the defense bonus a city gets from having a garrison is doubled" rather than a flat bonus for having something stationed there, but really, at this point, I'm not sure that Honor needs a nerf.

I think better idea would be to double maintiance costs for those kind of units. Like they are to exotic to be maintained easily.

The fact that you're paying maintenance at all on a unit that isn't going to be helpful in combat is enough of a penalty; there's no reason the game needs to punish you more for doing something that was dumb in the first place.

the 1Cav Div has an honor company, of actual horse cavalry/rifles. most modern US divisions have an honor guard and a few of those are "historical" in nature.

but like was said, the soldiers filling up the honor guard are normal soldiers who only do the honor guard thing as a temporary detail, then go back to their real military job.

I'll never understand this "I have a weird and counterproductive habit when I play the game. I'm unwilling to change, but the game developers really should force me to anyway" sentiment.
It's a matter of different mentalities. Some people prefer that a game be played like it was essentially Chess: Abstract pieces on an abstract board. While others prefer a game to be closer to a RPG, to a fair extent mirroring "Reality". Is one group Right while the other group is Wrong? Or are they simply Different? (As in, "Different strokes for different folks.")

Top Bottom