Map FAQ?

Reignking

Prince
Is there a map FAQ anywhere? With the new patch, they've added new map types, such as Fantasy_Realm, but I have no idea what that is, or what to expect. There are plenty more that I've never played, too, because I don't know if they are better for single or multiplayer.

I don't know if there's a FAQ anywhere, but I'll tell you what I know:

The old Continents has been renamed Fractal.

The Fantasy Realm map wraps both vertically and horizontally (no poles), and seems to have a totally random distribution of terrain types, bonuses, and resources. So for example you can find wheat on a grassland under a jungle (almost impossible to notice without using CTRL+R) and food plains on ice tiles which are the same as a desert food plain except it takes a little longer to build improvements on them. Rice on plains/hills looks really goofy. An oasis on a plain gives +4 food, +1 hammer, +2 gold. In my last game my capital started right next to stone on a food plain (+3 food, +1 gold, and +3 hammers with quarry, just like a rivered plains/cow) so I researched masonry as my first tech, went worker-first, and got a really fast Stonehedge and Pyramids. Oh, one bad thing... never seen any horses in a Fantasy Realm map. I don't know if this was random or always happens.

Just experimented with fantasy type map, and apart from it looking silly, I like the idea of stuff like wheat in hills, and marble in flood plains..very much like the ancient earth scenario...anyone know of a mod that allows this possibility (but changes nothing else)?

Top Bottom