1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[Map Script] Full of resources

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Map Scripts' started by Sto, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Sto

Sto Should i code today ...

A new uploaded beta in this post :

the time of calculation to show the screen and to generate resources has been reduced . I'm about to finish a version of the starting locations (hope the tests will be good). If all goes well, the first version is about to be released within 2 weeks. I you use it , tell me if you encounter some problems with translations and descriptions (units , tech ...) in the screen. And if the time of resources calculation has been improved with your settings (if not please post the settings).

Tcho !

2. Sto

The start locations have been implemented. The starting resources should be done until the end of the week (if not , until the end of the next 3 weeks). The file is uploaded in this post.

Tcho !

3. Balerion

Balerion Chieftain

Great Sto!!

4. Daegan

Daegan Chieftain

Great news! I'm still using an old version that works if you make a couple changes, start game, quit - repeat until you had all settings as you want them. Can't wait to see what the new version can do!

By the way, I've been tempted several times to clear up your Gustave Parking quote. :)

« Il vaut mieux se taire et passer pour un con que de l'ouvrir et ne laisser aucun doute sur le sujet. »
    -- Gustave Parking

Translated:

« It's wiser to stay silent and be thought an idiot than to open it (your mouth) and remove all doubt. »
    -- Gustave Parking

Basically, sometimes people will think you might be an idiot if you don't speak on a subject, but they know you are when you speak on it and are way off.

Anyway, I'm glad to help as I'm sure you lost many nights of sleep on this hehe. :lol:

5. Sto

LoOl :lol: .
    Yes , I'm so far from my studies , and all the English language I've kept is from meetings in musical festivals ( where "do you want to visit my tent?" is enough to have good holidays ^^ ) . My version of the citation is literal translated . For me , that's mean "we are all idiots in a way" . What do you think about «Sometimes, it's wiser to stay silent and be thought an idiot rather than to open your mouth and remove all doubts on this subject. » great master translator :bowdown:.

Tcho !

PS : If you have comments on the English "altavista" translation. Do not hesitate to correct me.

... I don't know if I should put my sign now .:)

6. cephalo

cephalo Deity

I would say that if one is an idiot, it's in everyone's interest to just go ahead be honest about it.

"Ok George, I'm giving you shuttle command."

"Duh, ok bossth!"

*Disaster ensues*

7. Daegan

Daegan Chieftain

Hehe, I think you could live a happy life just knowing, "do you want to visit my tent?" in several languages. :cool:

Btw, I remember the quote from some social sciences class waaaaay back long ago. I only remembered the meaning/ spirit of the quote not the translation. I'd be no help with that, I took 3 yrs of French .... 1987-'90. I remember ... not much at all really. :)

I have nothing but respect for people that post here, and on other sites, in their second ( or third or more ) language. Their English is always way better than my <whatever their first language is.> I am only unilingual, and barely that :crazyeye:

8. Sto

I take the note :). But 'idiot' is not in French the meaning of someone between 70 and 90 IQ (dictionary description) ... but something more relative and pejorative.

You would have a good teacher if you've studied Gustave Parking :lol:. I will keep my sign like that since the meaning can be as well like you describe or just "by situation" from the author... Well recognize to be the best clown by situation in France. Do you have already see him imitated the fly fire-eater. :)

(I've not found any "YouTube" cut when he was young ... sry)

Tcho !

9. Daegan

Daegan Chieftain

I called Gustave but after "Bon jour," I didn't understand much of the conversation. I may have accidently called his florist a purple garden hose. Please, if you see him, or his florist, send my apologies? :D

Anywho, all I remember about that particular class topic is that it was about our subconscious need not only to be 'right,' but to have others believe we're right. Of course, we discussed how much more difficult it is to convince others than it is to convince ourselves.

Eventually the Gustave Parking quote came up. The context was that most people have a hard time not arguing their point when they feel they're not being understood ( or being thought of as 'wrong.' ) From my limited memory, the teacher said, " Sometimes it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt."

Her explanation in short: If you keep your thoughts to yourself, you run the risk of appearing a fool. But what you say if you do speak might 100% convince your audience that you are. Saying nothing at all > saying something stupid. :)

Then again, this could all just be an attempt by my subconcious to convince you I'm right. :lol:

10. Sto

Ok , I take this One :). A teacher should wisely hear others ...

Tcho !

Adit : sorry I don't know his florist. :D
    ---->

11. Sto

Finally, after 10 month of tests :hammer2:, dead ends :help:, emotions :gripe:, CivilizationIV code explorations :trouble:, and implementations :wallbash:. The BtS version is out ... :woohoo:

Tcho !

12. cephalo

cephalo Deity

Pretty impressive Sto! That custom screen doesn't even seem... possible, but you found a way. Excellent work.

I'm afraid to look at the code needed to pull this off. I think my eyes would just fall out of my head.

13. Sto

Thank you . It takes me 2 month to find a way to enter lots of settings with map scripts. My first idea was to make a dynamical menu (instead of one option per button, the first select the option , and the others for the option selected). But after a month, I've seen that the CtD bug may still occurs.

In short ,after checking where you can launch the screen (some calls for custom options. Really not easy to know in which menu you are, etc...) .Since there is still no event context , i've replaced the call for the option screen with my screen that is restored when you exit the screen.

If you want to talk about the code. Do not hesitate to MP me and we can chat on erebus. :)

Tcho !

14. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

i want to play the new version. but i can't find it :(

is the data base entry new? coz it says 2007 LOL

15. Sto

LoOl, yes the entry is new. Sorry, I've forgotten to change the year :lol:. The last version with multiple scripts was released in 2007.

You will not worry for that anymore. There is a button to check if a new version is available in the screen :dubious: (a button just for the fun).

Tcho !

16. Daegan

Daegan Chieftain

Woo hoo!

Thanks for all the work you've put into this, Sto! I'm gonna take it out for a test run right now. Weeee! :goodjob:

17. Sto

Good game ! :).

Do not hesitate to tell me if you think that some explanations are missing or not understandable.

May the fly fire-eater be with you.

Tcho !

18. Loke.be

Loke.be Chieftain

Impressive piece of work!

I'm having some trouble to use it with mods such as Rise of Mankind 2 though.. is it simply incompatible?

19. Sto

Since i don't have the time to play often for the moment. I only play with FFH2 when i've the time. I will try the MOD ... but what kind of trouble do you get ?

If this is during generation, can you post the 2 debug files located in the CivilzationIV Full of Resources folder (in your documents, and after having tried to launch a game with Full or Resources). And describe what problem you get ?

Tcho !

20. Loke.be

Loke.be Chieftain

In fact the game crash when I select the script from the list..
    If I use the script on vanilla it works like a charm.

My only possibility atm is to select the script on a vanilla game and then load the mod and then play without making any change to the script. This lead to a VERY LONG generation process and eventually to a weird result usually (for example, I put a lot of forest and the map almost have none..)