[R&F] Mapuche First Look

One must not anger Lautaro. That -20 loyalty per unit.

For human player, losing that many units instantly is not common. If you have 5 units near your city, it usually means AI has no chances.

If someone is interested here is a short documentary about Mapuche. A little bit one-sided and flat, but still interesting.

And this one about the current situation there is really good.
BTW Firaxis don't have any problems with Chilean Government including Mapuche, but Tibet, Hebrews or even Kurds are still a tabu :)

Last edited:
If someone is interested here is a short documentary about Mapuche. A little bit one-sided and flat, but still interesting.

And this one about the current situation there is really good.
BTW Firaxis don't have any problems with Chilean Government including Mapuche, but Tibet, Hebrews or even Kurds are still a tabu :)

I wouldn't mind seeing a Tibetan or Hebrew Civ, but a Kurdish one seems odd, given how little we know about their origins and history.

I find it surprising that Firaxis encountered fewer issues with the Mapuche than with the Cree.
I don't know how it is in South America, but I've always found it to be a lot harder to represent any sort of North American tribe without some sort of conflict.
Of course I don't know if you think it would be met with more resistance from the Mapuche itself, or Chile. Because from what I've read whether you agree with them today or not, Lautaro at least revered in both aspects of their culture.

I don't know how it is in South America, but I've always found it to be a lot harder to represent any sort of North American tribe without some sort of conflict.
Of course I don't know if you think it would be met with more resistance from the Mapuche itself, or Chile. Because from what I've read whether you agree with them today or not, Lautaro at least revered in both aspects of their culture.
There's definitely no doubt Lautaro is equal to or more revered than Bernardo O'Higgins in Chile. I however consider Lautaro to be Chile's greatest general and O'Higgins second.

Similar to considering Kurds as Turk or Tibetan as Chinese :)
Given the Kurds are Iranian, not Turkic, I'd think they'd be more likely to be mistaken for Persians*.

*Yes, I know "Iranian" is generally the preferred term, except that A) I'm already using Iranian in this sentence to mean the broader language family and B) a lot of the diaspora prefers the term Persian.

Considering Chilean same as Mapuche is a misstatement. Similar to considering Kurds as Turk or Tibetan as Chinese :)
Especially after one of those documents. I would like to hear some Chileans whats their opinion.

Well, that is true. Chileans are definetely not the same as Mapuche. Most chileans have at least a drop of Mapuche blood, but usually it is unnoticeable (1/8 or less) and definetely not big enough as to make us identify strongly with Mapuche. The majority of the genetic composition comes from Spaniard descent, mixed with something else. If you go north, the mix tends to be with other natives or south american nationalities; if you come south with other european mixes (early chileans didn't like the inhospitability of the extreme south).
Also, the Mapuche conflict is localized to barely 2-3 of a total of 15 regions in Chile. In my case, I don't have any feelings towards it, I consider Mapuche to be Chilean citizens like everybody else and should not have any special treatment (they do get several special state benefits subsidies, scholarships, etc).

There's definitely no doubt Lautaro is equal to or more revered than Bernardo O'Higgins in Chile. I however consider Lautaro to be Chile's greatest general and O'Higgins second.

Not really. O'Higgins has a holiday after his birthday. Both figures have streets and parks named after them. They are of course well know (at least in name), but that's it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom